Shelby Cobra GT500

evoWALO said:
Looks nice but the engine's pathetic.

In what way? 450+ HP is pathetic?

it is if you need 5 liters to achieve it, and still have emission problems

bone said:
5.4L to be precise, AND forced induction.

Give an AMG engineer 5.4L and a supercharger to work with and I guarantee he'll come up with more than 450 hp. In fact...they have. Their 5.4L Supercharged V8 has 469 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque, as opposed to this 5.4L Supercharged V8 with 450 and 450.

Dr. Woo said:
bone said:

Give an AMG engineer 5.4L and a supercharger to work with and I guarantee he'll come up with more than 450 hp. In fact...they have. Their 5.4L Supercharged V8 has 469 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque, as opposed to this 5.4L Supercharged V8 with 450 and 450.

That's from the same country where the automakers voluntarily limit the top speed to 155mph, right?

Thanks, but I'll pass. Oh and BTW, when German engineers can make the kind of power you describe at the price point of this Shelby, give me a call. :p

I am going to beat my head against the wall...why must you always bring up price?? What is this shelby going to cost...? The SVT Cobra which came before it cost $40,000 MSRP.

meaning you need to add a couple of grand for delivery...and a few other things...and your basically talking about a $50,000 car...and so thats what Im going to assume this new Shelby is going to cost when its all said and done! (I may be being generous)

for $50,000 USD you can have lost of permium cars. now they might not have the BHP of your shelby...but they will retain their resale value better, and be a nicer car, with perfomance of maybe a little off your shelby.

I did a little research a couple of months ago, hypothetically buying a 1999 911C2, and a 1999 Corvette C5...both have simmilar performace, but the Porsche is much more expensive.

I hypothetically sold both cars in 2004, and you know what...the porsche was atcually cheaper to own in the long run, because it lost less of its resale value than the Corvette...meaning the Corvette is atcually the more expensive car!

The purchase price of a car is meaningless...the resale value is what is important. and mustangs typically dont have very good resale value...

so leave your price arguments at the door.

Dr. Woo said:
bone said:

In all likely hood they're underating the power of the Cobra. It's basically the same engine as the one found in the Ford GT. They're probably just under rating the Cobra so that it wouldn't steal the GT's thunder. Who knows what that engine is really capable of.

i was deffo going to buy 2005 stang but this is so much better...

leif said:
The purchase price of a car is meaningless...the resale value is what is important. and mustangs typically dont have very good resale value...

Except if you keep both cars, that is... :)

Basically, I agree with you, but was having this exact argument with someone else the other day - and it is a valid point. Some people buy the cars not necessarily thinking to change it 3-4 years later.

So before your argument is valid, you have to consider upfront how long you plan to keep it.

Those comparison shots are good, it definantly gives the Mustang an angrier front eng instead of the dopey look of the standard car. Compare engine outputs against AMG & Co is pointless because engine output is not the end all and be all of a muscle car. It's also about the looks and the noise, and one those grounds this one looks a winner.

leif said:
I am going to beat my head against the wall...why must you always bring up price?? What is this shelby going to cost...? The SVT Cobra which came before it cost $40,000 MSRP.

meaning you need to add a couple of grand for delivery...and a few other things...and your basically talking about a $50,000 car...and so thats what Im going to assume this new Shelby is going to cost when its all said and done! (I may be being generous)

for $50,000 USD you can have lost of permium cars. now they might not have the BHP of your shelby...but they will retain their resale value better, and be a nicer car, with perfomance of maybe a little off your shelby.

I did a little research a couple of months ago, hypothetically buying a 1999 911C2, and a 1999 Corvette C5...both have simmilar performace, but the Porsche is much more expensive.

I hypothetically sold both cars in 2004, and you know what...the porsche was atcually cheaper to own in the long run, because it lost less of its resale value than the Corvette...meaning the Corvette is atcually the more expensive car!

so leave your price arguments at the door.

I'd say price is important - otherwise you could compare anything to anything, right?

Some points:

No SVT Cobra has ever cost $40k USD. I've had two, I know. The most expensive Coupe came in at about $34k USD. That's WITH delivery (which is only about $500 to $700, BTW). A few other things? What are those? The car will cost $50k for those willing to pay that, but I will not be one of them. If I even pay sticker it will be the first time I have ever done so.

For $50k you start moving into a different market segment. The Corvette is the only thing near it in price with that much power. I would argue that even though I like the Vette, there will be many many more of them on the street, making their resale value less. In fact, the whole resale argument you attempt to use is meaningless, because saying "Mustangs dont have good resale value" and lumping this Shelby in with a V6 Mustang is well, funny. :D The aren't even in the same league!