Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

VwRMx.jpg

Page 472, now about 472 V8s.

Last edited:
Fresh from Geneva

Awesome color, but I have one trivial gripe. Why does the spoiler have a thin blue stripe in the middle, the hood has a wide carbon fiber stripe, then the roof has no stripe. That's just poor stripe continuity. Other than that the car is pretty much perfect. Love that matte blue.

Awesome color, but I have one trivial gripe. Why does the spoiler have a thin blue stripe in the middle, the hood has a wide carbon fiber stripe, then the roof has no stripe. That's just poor stripe continuity. Other than that the car is pretty much perfect. Love that matte blue.

The two stripes on the hood travel through the interior <notice the dashboard> where they become one stripe.

The two stripes on the hood travel through the interior <notice the dashboard> where they become one stripe.

No they don't. They remain two stripes, albeit gradually tapering towards one another.

Koenigsegg-Agera_R_2012_photo_08.jpg

There is still no continuity between the blue spoiler stripe in the middle, the roof with no stripe, and the hood with a wide carbon fiber stripe in the middle. Not really a big deal, but I'm just picky.

For German-speakers: :D

For all others:

[video=youtube;rFFJ-ns8o1Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFFJ-ns8o1Q&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

069R6950.jpg

069R6376.jpg

069R6743.jpg

069R6850.jpg

9crop.jpg

2crop.jpg

131.jpg

32.jpg

Alfa Romeo :wub:

Worth a watch

[video=youtube;Ly3Kt3vw-QA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly3Kt3vw-QA[/video]

That was fantastic. I want to see a similar quality production about the Koenigsegg Agera.

Also,

Pretty, isn't it? What you're looking at is the automotive equivalent of Back To The Future. It's called the Porsche P/904 Carrera, and it is the latest in an army of classic bodystyles hiding modern machinery.

Texas-based Tuner Gullwing America has announced this as its latest project; an ambitious build harking back to the glory days of 1960s endurance racing, and one of the prettiest Porsche models ever built.

You'll no doubt remember the original Porsche 904: it was designed by ?Butzi', the eldest son of Ferry Porsche and grandson of Ferdinand Porsche, as an entrant for the mid-60s endurance racing scene, who admits it remains his favourite car. Conceived as a featherweight, the 904 utilised steel and plastic in its construction, and weighed in at just 530kg. In fact, it was the first Porsche to use a full plastic body.

Naturally, homologation required 100 examples to be built to allow it race time, and when it reached the circuits in those heady days, it won the Targo Florio (1964), and had successes at the Tour de France, 1,000km N?rburgring race, Le Mans and the Reims 24 hour race.

So a handy starting block for the Texan tuner, then. Gullwing America told TopGear.com that they use the base of a second-generation Porsche Boxster, complete with a six-speed manual gearbox and 3.4-litre engine, producing 291bhp. The tuner will also fit a sports exhaust to keep the 60s racecar sound and vibe alive, together with adjustable suspension.

Unlike the original though, this new P/904 will feature a hybrid aluminium composite body built in Germany, and Gullwing told us they're not after aping the original's featherweight brief "for safety reasons - remember, this is a street car".

Custom 18in GWA five spoke alloy wheels will fill those 60s arches, while inside the instrument panel, seats and steering wheel will all be adjusted to give it that retro feel too, we're promised.

Currently, the company is developing a prototype, and so a final production date hasn't been set. But the conversion from Boxster to this glorious throwback will cost just under ?60,000 - and that doesn't include the donor car or any additional work.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/porsche-p904-carrera-boxster-2012-03-08

Last edited:
That was fantastic. I want to see a similar quality production about the Koenigsegg Agera.

Well, then ask Koenigsegg to do one, the documentary was done at Pagani's request.

Not bad, but I thought the whole "elimination round" thing was a bit dumb. We found out what the cars are like on a race track, but no idea what they're like on the road, where they'll be spending 99.9% of their lives. In the end they only took 3 of them out on real roads. Maybe I'm crazy, but I care infinitely more about how the cars deal with the real world than how they are on the track. It is a test of how the cars are to drive after all, not how good they are to race.

But jesus, is that Z06 Corvette fast! :eek: 2 seconds a lap faster than a Ferrari 458, I have a hard time believing that.

Last edited: