Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

4 small turbos would perform better than 1 large one. Same power, far less lag.

In THEORY.

1994%20Bugatti%20EB%20110%20GT-blue-engine=mx=.jpg

4 small turbos would perform better than 1 large one. Same power, far less lag.

In THEORY.

Well, of course, but the mechanical complexity starts to overcome the benefits at some point.

Yes, the EB110 was 4 turbo too, but it was a V-12, so basically two inline-6 engines side-by-side, each with 2 turbos, which is reasonable.

This is devotion.

[video=youtube;i-KvDGo3nPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-KvDGo3nPc[/video]

Well, of course, but the mechanical complexity starts to overcome the benefits at some point.

Yes, the EB110 was 4 turbo too, but it was a V-12, so basically two inline-6 engines side-by-side, each with 2 turbos, which is reasonable.

More importantly, I don't see how this would work at all...

On a V12 or a V16, the four turbos can work simultaneously because there is more than one cylinder on an exhaust cycle. How would this work on a 4 cylinder? Ideally, you need four cylinders PER turbine because it's a four stroke engine. So in the case of this four banger, they must work in a sequence, but that will be overly complicated, not smooth and won't solve the issue of turbo lag.

What's more - that black pipe with the blue elbow - is that supposed to be the intercooler pipe? If so...why does it have such a small inlet diameter - it kinda negates the whole benefit of four turbos.

Last edited:

Last edited:
DSC_0281.jpg

So much want!