Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

I don't know if this is a repost but a guy who's middle name must be "Balls-o-steel" takes his souped up '64 Ford Fairlane around the Nurburging.

It's a Fairlane 500, iirc powered by a 427ci big block (dunno if it's the thunderbolt engine). He's a regular in the classics races there, seen him drive there a few times:
P9272247.jpg

(photo taken during 2009 Eifelrennen)

EDIT: further research shows that the logos on the front quarterpanels are indeed the 427 logos as found on the Thunderbolt. If that is an actual Thunderbolt he is racing, then mad props to him.

Last edited:

As much as I love the new Viper, Jay Leno had a very good point in being slightly confused...

So it's no longer a Dodge, it's an SRT which is its own separate brand. But then they are going to rename the Challenger as an SRT Challenger instead of a Dodge Challenger?

I'm sorry, but if I wanted to buy a muscle car, I want a Dodge Challenger. I do not want an SRT Challenger, I want it to be called a Dodge. Same thing with the Charger.

And even if you don't have the same objection as me, then what's the point of keeping the Dodge name alive if all of the exciting cars will now be branded SRT?

Is the Dodge name dying as a whole?

I may be wrong (and correct me if i am) but as i see it, SRT is now a separate brand but at the same time the "tuner" of Dodge. Their flagship, the Viper, is marketed as a vehicle developed exclusively outside of Dodge, by SRT and thus is an SRT Viper, not a Dodge Viper SRT. Now, the story might be different with the Challenger and the Charger. Because the story and the history behind those two models is so long and because they where and are developed by Dodge (maybe in collaboration with SRT) i believe they will retain the Dodge badge as basic models and get a "special" SRT version.

I am not an expert in american automotive industry but it seems logical and i don't think it makes the Dodge name obsolete.

I may be wrong (and correct me if i am) but as i see it, SRT is now a separate brand but at the same time the "tuner" of Dodge. Their flagship, the Viper, is marketed as a vehicle developed exclusively outside of Dodge, by SRT and thus is an SRT Viper, not a Dodge Viper SRT. Now, the story might be different with the Challenger and the Charger. Because the story and the history behind those two models is so long and because they where and are developed by Dodge (maybe in collaboration with SRT) i believe they will retain the Dodge badge as basic models and get a "special" SRT version.

I am not an expert in american automotive industry but it seems logical and i don't think it makes the Dodge name obsolete.

The marketing director in Jay's video left me with the impression that the Challenger and Charger will no longer be Dodges. I know that even if they tried to do that it will take years but still, I think it's the wrong decision. Same thing with the RAM as Burn pointed out. I don't care what they do with the name and model nomenclatures, to me and I'm guessing most Americans, the RAM is still and always will be a Dodge.

Why are they trying to run away from their heritage (good or bad)?

Pretty awesome, though I will watch just about anything put to that song.

[video=youtube;g6L-j6s9OPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6L-j6s9OPU&feature=g-all-u[/video]

The EVO editor has done yet another Mille Miglia. This time in an old Alfa. Great stuff:

(in case you haven't already seen this)