FGCOTY 2017 - Results!

MacGuffin;n3546025 said:
A well-deserved winner. Congratulations from me. Now it only has to show up at Ringmeet. Who's gonna tell Andeh that he has to come there now with the Rover? :p

Few people already have, especially as he mentioned he wanted to tour the thing. :D And Oldtimer GP is very much the place to be with such an awesome car. And congrats to all top 3.

Congrats to Andeh, the Rover and the others on the podium. :clap:

That was a fantastic resault! Much better than expected and so close to the no 1 spot! Should have bougth a Q ;)

TobiasG;n3546045 said:
That was a fantastic resault! Much better than expected and so close to the no 1 spot! Should have bougth a Q ;)

Yes you should've, vote or not. :p

I have a lot of data on all of you now, and I plan on abusing it :p

I was thinking about how the votes of different people correlate between each other, and I made a quick script* to run through the votes and do some matchmaking. It is Valentine's Day, after all!

Here's the full table of vote correlations (names are in alphabetic order), as well as the general "anti-socialness" factor, which is just a sum of all correlations.

The person representing the average FG is SirEdward, with 0% total correlation over all voters! Congrats!

The worst is tcdoe at -147%, Lars at -145% and D-Fence at -136%. All of them submitted just 3 cars for the vote, which affects this result **

The least compatible pairs are D-Fence - samulis, Dr Grip - leviathan and IceBone - tcdoe.

And the best matches are:

Galantti - IceBone at 10.4 %
gt1750 - TobiasG at 10.8 %
DanRoM - Matt2000 at 11.2 %

hUNAo.jpg

:D

* A slightly modified Kendall Tau correlation. Basically going through every possible pair of cars, and comparing the order in which they appear in each person's vote ranking. If order is the same the score goes up, if order is reverse the score goes down, if order is unknown (both cars in the pair is missing from one of the voter) the score stays the same. Basically simulates a quiz where you're forced to pick a favorite between two cars for all (14choose2) possible combinations, and comparing matching results.

** The method emphasizes difference between the amount of cars submitted. Which makes sense, because votes generally have a trend, and by omitting part of the vote, you're missing out on gaining correlation points from certain "obvious" choises. So every row and every column is consistent within itself, but not necessarily comparable to other rows and columns.

Good to know the Rover won!

And Yey! I'm the most average voter around! :lol:

MXM;n3546076 said:
gt1750 - TobiasG at 10.8 %

2 Alfa Lovers sitting in a tree... :happy:

So MXM, how did you calculate the percentage values per pair? I can't get my head around that.

TobiasG;n3546045 said:

People love Alfas, It's as simple as that :)

DaBoom;n3546114 said:
Same with Audi bros.

We should get them their own tent at next Ringmeet and play "Careless Whisper" by George Michael before leaving them alone ;-)

Last edited:
DanRoM;n3546107 said:
So MXM, how did you calculate the percentage values per pair? I can't get my head around that.

Read the fine print :p

This is how I implemented it, say I'm comparing your vote with Matt2000's vote:

1. Make a list of all car pairs. Car a vs car b. Like: Lexus vs Disco, Lexus vs 156, Lexus vs Tesla... then Disco vs 156, Disco vs Tesla... etc. That's what "14 choose 2" operator does. You get 91 combinations of car pairs.
2. For each car pair, check whether you prefer a or b. So get a list like: a a a b a b b, except it's 91 letters long.
3. Do the same for Matt's vote, say the list for him is b a a b b b b.
4. If you both have the same letter for a pair of cars, you get a score +1 (concordant pair), if you have a different letter you get -1 (discordant pair). For the 7 pair example above the score is 5-2=3. The percentage is score/amount of pairs, so 3/7 = 43%.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 for every voter pair to fill the table above.

Why do it like this? Because it simulates the decision-making when ordering a list of items. It shows similarity between two people's decisions. It does not care about absolute position of the car in the list. Say you have Disco and Lexus placed 5 and 11, but Matt has them 1 and 3. That's still a positive correlation.
Could be done better? Yes, I could've assigned weights to the distance between pairs, or make it "top heavy".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendal...on_coefficient
My "modifications" to the algorithm are about dealing with incomplete lists, where I assume that every missing car has lower placement than cars in the list. Except if both cars in a pair are missing, then I can't make a decision and the score remains the same.

The score in the last column is just a sum of all scores on one line, but it's not very representative, as it favours people who sent a more complete list.

Last edited:
so, sorcery then? :p

MXM;n3546117 said:
[MXM2THEMAX]

I appreciate this kind of thoroughness so much I even Liked the post. :lol:

I hadn't read the calculation until now, but my only response is:

I was, and still am, terrible at statistical maths. :lol:

Last edited:
Matt2000;n3546185 said:
I hadn't read the calculation until now, but my only response is:

I was, and still am, terrible at statistical maths. :lol:

Same here. :lol:

Before I got my Msc. I was useless, now I am merely lousy, and I appreciate people able to do that.

Sorry to grave dig this thread, but thank you guys! I had no idea this vote was on again, but I'm amazed I've won it for a second time. I must be more active around here, this completely slipped me by.

Thank you all