90's japanese sports cars top 5

Have to go to bad and disagree on this one, other than the AWD version, the 3000GTs were FWD GT failboats that pretended to be in the same class as the Supra and NSX but didnt even come close. Which is why Mitsu's flagship sports car has always been the Evo (yes even tho its a 4 door).

Really huh? So, just because it had FWD variants that were lackluster the AWD can't compete and has no business being listed in this thread? For your information here are the specs:

Stealth TT/3000GT VR-4:

0-60: 4.8
1/4 mile: 13.8
Top Speed: 160
HP: 320
Cost: Around $35k

Supra:

0-60: 5.1
1/4 mile: 13.6
Top Speed: 155
Cost: Around $40k

NSX:

1/4 mile: 13.4
Top Speed: 175
HP: 290
Cost: About $90k

So, I think you should do a little research next time.

Sorry....the 3000GT VR4 was damn near $65,000 at the end of its production.
edit: That was for the Spyder. The VR4 was still at or above 50.
http://www.cjbyron.com/3000GT.htm

And the FD would kick all of their asses.

Last edited:
Really huh? So, just because it had FWD variants that were lackluster the AWD can't compete and has no business being listed in this thread? For your information here are the specs:

Stealth TT/3000GT VR-4:

1/4 mile: 13.8
Top Speed: 160
Cost: Around $35k

In straight line speed it wasn't bad but the big issue was that the handling capabilities were marred by the sheer weight of the thing, and it felt even heavier than it actually was somehow. Speaking just about the AWD version. Couple that with electronics systems that took away from the driving experience and massive reliability issues, it just wasn't a very good car compared to the others. It wasn't bad but easily overshadowed in light of the competition.

I'm not so sure the 3000GT is fairly compared to sports cars. I don't think it really is one. Its more of a high-tech, high performance sort of 'world car' similar to the R35 GTR. Whereas the FD and NSX are superlight track-stars or backroad brawlers.

<3 cosmo. Not a sports car though

Sorry....the 3000GT VR4 was damn near $65,000 at the end of its production.
edit: That was for the Spyder. The VR4 was still at or above 50.
http://www.cjbyron.com/3000GT.htm

And the FD would kick all of their asses.

I love the RX-7 but it was not without it's problems. And I agree, on a track those things handle like they're on rails. Also, the 3S was at around $45-$50k in 99. I'm sorry, I simply posted prices at the beginning of the model lines.

In straight line speed it wasn't bad but the big issue was that the handling capabilities were marred by the sheer weight of the thing, and it felt even heavier than it actually was somehow. Speaking just about the AWD version. Couple that with electronics systems that took away from the driving experience and massive reliability issues, it just wasn't a very good car compared to the others. It wasn't bad but easily overshadowed in light of the competition.

I can't argue with you there. However, the handling problems were more of an issue of the poorly designed center diff. Swap it out with a torsen and the car becomes very neutral. As for all the gadgetry, the ECS, AA, and AE were crap and should be the first things to go if you buy one. Saves a lot of weight too. Another thing that save a lot of weight is getting rid of the stock wheels, 30 pounds a piece, BARE!!!

Was it a great car, probably not. I was more trying to show that it was similar performance to cars like the Supra. Also, the Supra isn't a light weight either.

I'm not so sure the 3000GT is fairly compared to sports cars. I don't think it really is one. Its more of a high-tech, high performance sort of 'world car' similar to the R35 GTR. Whereas the FD and NSX are superlight track-stars or backroad brawlers.

I agree. I would more call the 3S a GT style car.

Polygon it is honestly not worth it.

I've owned my 3000GT since '99, you just have to come to accept that people will continue to bash the 3,800lb curb weight and ignore the performance. Heck my car with my daily driver until this February.

Best thing to do it smile and nod, know that your car will always be the pretty underdog. Then beat them at the track. :)

-John