100 Greatest Cars (40-31)

Overheat

Forum Addict
Getting closer

40. Pagani Zonda S
There is seemingly no shortage of minted entrepreneurs who want to own their own supercar company, but very, very few actually make it. Horatio Pagani is one man who managed the feat, thanks to his producing one of the most spectacular and well-engineered supercars of all time.

85-pagani-zonda.jpg

39. TVR T400 R
TVRs new Russian owner wants to turn the Blackpool company into a serious player in the sports car market. If it can add some quality and reliability to cars that look as amazing as the T400 R, and retain its absolutely terrifying performance, then it'll have no problems.

111-tvr-t440-r.jpg

38. Fiat 500
One of the cutest cars ever, the Fiat 500 used an air-cooled rear-mounted engine driving the rear wheels, just like a Porsche 911. With 13bhp, it's just a little bit slower than the Porker, though.

38-fiat-500.jpg

37. Citroen 2CV
One of the challenges facing designers of the French 'people's car' was that it had to run across a ploughed field with a basket of eggs on board, without breaking any. It did, but the lean angle when it corners is hysterical to watch..

26-citroen-2cv.jpg

36. London Taxi
Big Ben, red post boxes, double-decker buses and black cabs are the quintessential identifiers of London. Famed for its spaciousness and ludicrously tight turning circle, black cabs are also home to sage dispensers of wisdom and wit. Or not...

64-london-taxi.jpg

35. Dodge Charger
The Dukes of Hazzard drove one called General Lee, which just about destroyed the Charger's street cred. Not quite, though, because the baddies drove a black one in Bullitt and that sort of cool just doesn't wear off. A 7.3-litre V8 helps, too.

32-dodge-charger.jpg

34. Lamborghini Gallardo
With a 492bhp V10, four-wheel drive and looks to die for, what's not to like? Even better, this Lambo's been fettled by Audi, which means its well built and reliable. Not your average Italian exotic, then.

55-lamborghini-gallardo.jpg

33. Willy's Jeep
Often credited with winning the Second World War, the Jeep was a truly heroic machine. When the contract was tendered, the American military said it needed a vehicle that was under three feet tall with a folding windscreen, could carry 600lbs and was rectangular in shape. They got what they asked for and an icon was born.

120-willys-jeep.jpg

32. Dodge Viper
4Car's editor has fond memories of spinning off the road in one of these at a closed circuit, thereby learning that Vipers bite when provoked. "I was caught out by all that torque suddenly arriving mid corner," explains Conway. So it's the car's fault, then?

31-dodge-viper.jpg

31. MINI
We don't want to give too much away, but the original Mini did considerably better than its modern cousin. Still, the new MINI is a brilliant car to drive, if not the revolutionary package that the original was. Basically, it drives like a small BMW, which is what it is.

78-mini.jpg

overheat... where are you getting all these info?... I might have missed the previous threads, I just wna know whos number 1 :D

Re: 100 Greatest Cars (40-31)

Overheat said:
38. Fiat 500
One of the cutest cars ever, the Fiat 500 used an air-cooled rear-mounted engine driving the rear wheels, just like a Porsche 911. With 13bhp, it's just a little bit slower than the Porker, though.

38-fiat-500.jpg

I can't believe that Fiat beat the Zonda :?

I can belive Fiat beat the Zonda, i can't believe Gallardo did! They should be judged by same criteries. Both are quite new supercars, yet Zonda is faster, more exclusive, more pure Italian. Pagani made much bigger contribution to automotive world with Zonda than Lamborghini with Gallardo. Plus Gallardo has a similar-priced competitors F360/F430 and both Ferraris seems to be better.

Was this list made by readers' votes? That would explane it...