Road Test In About A Week - Any Tips?

Yeah i got an instructor that knows the routes in Richmond, total of 4 hours on the roads he showed me so far, will be 7 by the time i take the road test. Of course i've driven in Richmond many times however thats just counting the hours with the instructor.

I'm keen on passing the first time however i might forget a thing or two, most likely not doing the 360 check throughly or not moving my head enough for shoulder checking. Also gotta be cautious about my speed i'm driving so yeah... well 10 days for improvement haha.

Keeping under the speedlimit is the most important and easiest thing to follow, as a first thing to think about.

Slightly exaggerate things that may not be too obvious to the tester such as checking side/rear view mirrors and looking all directions at an intersection. It's difficult for them to see your eyes move, but if they see your head shift they'll know your looking.

Seeing you're taking it in Richmond, patience will be your biggest issue. If traffic is bad you may get away with a drive around the block and a parallel park. And if you're really nervous just talk constantly, describe everything you're doing; "checking mirrors, indicator, shoulder check, lane change". And relax, seeing you've taken lessons you're probably already a better driver than the majority of Richmonds residents.

I'm a Vancouver resident close to richmond haha.

I hear that some examiners put a mirror on the dash to see if you're actually looking at the mirrors O.O

I don't think traffic will be that bad near noon though but i can't be too sure.

I hear that some examiners put a mirror on the dash to see if you're actually looking at the mirrors O.O

Yeah, they do that. Well, all three road tests I went on they suction cupped a mirror to the windshield at least.

Slightly exaggerate things that may not be too obvious to the tester such as checking side/rear view mirrors and looking all directions at an intersection. It's difficult for them to see your eyes move, but if they see your head shift they'll know your looking.

+1 best advice in my opinion.

If the instructor tells you to speed up slightly, do not jam on the pedal.
During one of my lessons in a Malibu, as I was merging onto the highway the instructor told me to get up to the speed limit as quickly as I could. Needless to say I floored it. Took a good 20 seconds or so to get from 40 to 65. UGH

Dammmm

Dammmm

Mr road test was 10 minutes TOPS. Massachusetts just doesn't give a bleep about anything ;)

But in my case my grandma was in the back of the car, and my test administrator was about 6o or 65, so they started talking... not totally sure if he paid any attention to anything.

And if I were to fail any part of the test they let you retry on the spot ;) GO MASS!!!!:lol:

Botttom line, drive the exact speed limit or like 2 under, and... well let's just call it what it is: drive like grandma does!

When you're in the car with the instructor, and a car pulls up next to you at a 4 way stop, be sure to stare the guy next door down and rev the engine a bit. Ignore the protests of the instructor, he's just testing you.

Next, rev the engine up to at least 4000 RPM, as the light turns green dump the clutch, floor the gas, and power shift (use as little clutchwork as possible while holding down the gas) until you reach fifth gear, 130 miles per hour, or you've pulled 3 cars on the other car. Whichever comes first.

Than look over at the instructor, (this is VERY important) light up a cigarette and say :canadian::"I won".

(Instructor failed me the first time because i forgot the cigarette)

Last edited:
Well had basically almost my last lesson with my instructor [last one ON test day], just gotta be bit more patient, less aggressive and i should do well.

Still unsure about the school zone thing -_-"

3 more days lol

Still one more road test in 2 years though if i want to get rid of the green N magnet, passenger limit [unless there is a supervisor, no limit at all] and 0% alcohol limit.