Road Test In About A Week - Any Tips?

Timbits93

Car(s)
2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport line
Well in about a week and a half, i'm having my Class 7 Road Test [its a 2 stage process over in BC with a Learners first, then a Novice [the road test i'm going for], and then the Class 5 [Road Test in 2 years if i pass].

I'm just curious if there are any good tips - and they could be very general tips as to help others too - or any specific tips if you're in BC because i really want to just pass it and not think about it till 2 years later when i would be going for my final road test.

For those in BC, i'm taking it in Richmond.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Last edited:
Try to stay calm really. The biggest problem I had is trying to drive like I thought the instructor wanted me to, as opposed to how I was comfortable. That lead to two failed tests :(.

Don't get nervous.

Well i guess i'm a bit nervous, should calm down.

One question, school zones. Its the summer. Are they in effect? Because i've heard people failed for going residential speeds when the school zones weren't in effect. Could it be that it turns into a park zone as some schools may have a park in the school grounds meaning they'd have to stick to going 30 km/h [Park/School Zone Speeds]?

Top tip; don?t tell anyone you are taking your test, especially on the internets,
you know, just in case you don?t pass first time. :p

Good luck anyway! :lol:

Avoid deer, nasty killers that......

LOL, deers, i don't think there will be any in Richmond... in Interior BC on the other hand...

The Hazard Perception of the test i need some tips. So yeah help haha

i took and passed my MA test today. just eat a good breakfast and chill out before hitting the road.
So take a nice long shower before you go, if you know what I mean...
I'm actually taking my road test in a couple of weeks and I am 80% confident, so that's more confident than I was when I started road lessons.

Everything you need to know can be found by playing Carmageddon.

It is also a show of respect to your road test giver person to slam on your brakes every five seconds.

Try to stay calm really. The biggest problem I had is trying to drive like I thought the instructor wanted me to, as opposed to how I was comfortable. That lead to two failed tests :(.

Exactly! That's what happened to me, and I failed twice. I finally just started not giving a shit and I passed. :lol:

If in doubt go flat out. Don't forget that the examiner will be awarding points for style and flamboyance.

You also get extra points for handbrake turns, act like you're a rally driver!

dont speed. i got points taken off for 3 miles over the limit. and dont stop sharply

wait, i'm doing this wrong

remember, if the person in the other lane looks at you on a 2 or more lane each way road, you have to race them. if you don't you are giving up your manhood. and remember, the faster you drive, the sooner you are done with your test and get to drive with your new license

Last edited:
We just want to wish you good luck. We're all counting on you.

0.jpg

Keep your radio on. Something that won't annoy the instructor, and not too loud. It helps you stay calm, shows instructor confidence.

LOL, deers, i don't think there will be any in Richmond... in Interior BC on the other hand...

Maybe not in Richmond, but there is plenty of deer elsewhere in the Lower Mainland. They were a common sight when I used to live on the North Shore.

I never took a test out in Richmond, but the general advice I can give you is to just relax and focus... and be prepared to fail at least once. It really depends on the examiner and the kind of day he or she is having... some of them are nice and some are assholes. The worst part of BC driving tests is the length, I think the class 5 test was 45 minutes but the class 7 was okay, I think only half as long or so.

If you're really keen on passing the first time what you can do is hire one of these independent driving schools that work a certain licensing location (Richmond in your case) and go for a single session where they show the ins and outs of the routes used by that branch. You can do that if you want to know their exact routes and stuff, but that isn't necessary if you've put in the work in terms of knowing the rules of the road and having practices adequately.