quickest steering racks

Am I an idiot, or did LeVeL ninja-edit the first post?

EDIT: never mind, he's collected the info said so far, I thought I just missed my car being on the list the first time...

Last edited:
BTW, don't all modern cars have variable ratio racks, I know anything with a BMW badge does. Kind of makes putting an actual ratio on it hard?

Not everything, I know that at least M cars don't (yet) ship with electric power steering which varies the steering ratio. And at least on the early model 335i, active steering (which varies the ratio between 10:1 and 18:1 depending on speed) was optional. It may now be standard but my car doesn't have it, so I have the constant 16:1 ratio.

Last edited:
Dang...I looked up the Altima's, and a few sites listed it as 16.1:1.

The Octavia takes three turns from lock to lock, didn't feel like measuring the maximum wheel angle though :)

Hmm, I wonder if the Roadmaster has the same ratio box.

Not sure. It does have a different box than the Impala. My Dad had them swapped, makes quite a difference.

Not everything, I know that at least M cars don't (yet) ship with electric power steering which varies the steering ratio. And at least on the early model 335i, active steering (which varies the ratio between 10:1 and 18:1 depending on speed) was optional. It may now be standard but my car doesn't have it, so I have the constant 16:1 ratio.

You don't need electric steering to have variable ratios. BMW e36 cars and newer, except the z3's, pretty much all have a variable ratio steering... including your M3.

BMW e36 cars and newer, except the z3's, pretty much all have a variable ratio steering... including your M3.
So this is really confusing. It's the first time I've heard that the E36 M3 has a variable steering ratio. The only link I found that supports the claim is this http://www.bmwdrives.com/mcars/bmw-e36-m3-coupe.php which claims a variable steering ratio from 15.4:1 to 19.8:1 on the 95 (which is what i have). It looks accurate in other areas that I could check so maybe...
But I found several links claiming a fixed ratio for the E46 M3 and the E46 M3 CSL... So I am really confused now.

I remember reading that the steering rack in the TVR Tuscan (mk I), Tamora, and T350 had just 1,7 turns lock-to-lock; they tended to punish very slight mistakes severely. The Tuscan mk II and the Sagaris had 2,2...

Why the obsession with short steering ratios? Its not like it will make your car any quicker. And as MadCat pointed out, its harder too make small adjustments with a shorter ratio. I find turning radius much more interesting. Smaller radius means wider slides :cool: :p