Dreaded cyclists

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
So I know a lot of us dread these cyclists that think they own the road.

Some of us may cycle (I personally don't), and again some cyclists are awesome (because they also drive cars/have more than 3 brain cells).

But a lot just suck.

So post your cyclist stories, good and bad. I know we have stupid driver stories, but I think cyclists should get their own topic. Vent it out, this is the appropriate place to let out your frustrations. We gotcho back.

Also in the meantime, I have a solution.

Send all the cyclists to India.

No I don't mean outsource, though that's funny when I think about it.

I mean put them on a goddamned plane and send them to India.

Why?

Because in India we now have highways, but even there people try to cross. And when they do, it's scary shit.

An unexperienced road-crossing cyclist crossing Indian streets would have such a copious amount of shit scared out of him that he would earn a greater respect for cars and a better sense of sharing the road properly with the big 2-10 ton creatures known as the automobile (10 ton being a bus/truck).

Oh and in India, buffalo and cows and goats and dogs and people all cross the street. And the last thing a cyclist would want to do is piss off a buffalo with giant naturally-sharpened horns.

Yeah believe me. I was chased by a horned cow at least twice in India. Both times as a kid. Scary shit.

I regularly use my bicycle every day. Going to my office in my Uni is faster by bike, not even mentioning cheaper, more healthy, or the environment :lol:

My philosophy on the road is "take care of myself, don't expect anyone to notice me or even yield." The result is that to the uninformed observer I might ride like a maniac :lol: but I never have trouble with cars/busses/etc.
Another thing helping me while on my bike, as a car driver I know how some cyclists can be annoying as fuck, so I try not to annoy others too much. Sort of like a Christian cyclist :james: :lol:

The cyclists around BU tend to be HORRIBLE. Every now and then, I get invites to "share the road" events which are nothing more than hippies going on a bike ride on (cramped!) public roads around Waco. Look, guys. If you want to share the road, that's fine, but you have to follow the rules of the road. That means stopping at stop signs, going WITH the direction of traffic (cyclists around here take great joy in playing chicken with my car for some reason), and all-around being less of a pain in the arse.

I love my hippie friends--I really do. If my classes were farther away, I might ride a bike to class, too. But sometimes they just have no damn common sense.

I always get even angrier at how the whole "share the road" thing is presented. I don't hate the environment if I think bikes just shouldn't be on some roads. It's a safety issue. I want more bike trails and lanes so that slower, less protected traffic stays safely out of the same lane as bigger things that could easily squish them. If you're going to play in traffic, you have to follow the same rules as everyone else so we can sort of guess what you're up to, judge a good time to pass you if we need by, and the like. I have a lot of respect for the guys who are responsible about using a bike to get places, but unfortunately, they're way too rare around here. :(

I've also noticed that they don't flee in terror to the side of the road now that my car doesn't make a loud "death rattle." I really don't want to have to clean inattentive cyclist guts out of the grill of my new car. That's messy and might ruin the paint. Boooooo.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't really have a problem with them, maybe it's because they aren't too prevalent here. Cyclists tend to hug the shoulder and stay out of the way the best they can. People that ride bikes is a different story, no gear, can barely see them on their shitty huffy going the wrong way either 1 foot into my lane or in the median. Don't have a whole lot of respect for bike riders that don't even go the right way.

Good, a dedicated thread for all the unreflected cyclist-hating that goes on here because many of you seem to think of them as lesser beings. Please confine that in here so that the members that think beyond their own windscreen know which thread to avoid.

I bike to school, it's easier than finding parking. Luckily for me Riverside has a lot of dedicated bike lanes so it's not that bad. It's not the cars that have problems with me, it's the people. They think they can walk in front of me as I'm moving and expect me to instantly stop on a very narrow bike path. Mind you, they're not even supposed to be there.

Good, a dedicated thread for all the unreflected cyclist-hating that goes on here because many of you seem to think of them as lesser beings. Please confine that in here so that the members that think beyond their own windscreen know which thread to avoid.
You know the old saying "stereotypes come from somewhere"?

For every cyclist that rides in a responsible manner there are 200 that don't.

No matter what vehicle you are in/on you should never impede the flow of traffic and always travel at responsible speed. I will be just as pissed about a moron in a car going 10 in a 30 as I would about a bicycle. Only difference is that the bicycle is easier to go around.

Just recently I was on a one way behind a cyclist who was riding in the middle of a one way street making it impossible to get around him. Though the street in question was so crappy that I was more concerned about not bending my rims on the potholes than speed but that's besides the point. There is no reason for him to be smack down in the middle of the street.

On a daily basis I deal with cycling morons who will try to run a red light without so much as slowing down, mind you this is in the middle of a very crowded tourist area in the city where there are a lot of people waiting to cross (9/11 Ground Zero).

Just about every single one I seen doesn't have any gear on, no helmet, no lights, nothing reflective.

Then there is the fact that they are allowed on public roads without any proper registration/enforcement. Before I was allowed to drive a car I had to go take a written test that made sure that I understand rules of the road, I had to take a practical test that showed that I am capable of controlling a vehicle to some degree and understand how traffic works, after I had purchased the vehicle I was required by law to register it with the local authority, I had to get insurance on the vehicle in case of an accident (it's not optional in my state), I have to get my car inspected to make sure that it can be operated in a safe manner.

As I am a licensed driver any violations are recorded on driving history and are sent to the insurance company, which impacts my rates not to mention that if I get enough violations I can lose both my vehicle and my license (I have seen people towed from side of the road for driving like idiots).

Cyclists can get tickets, but if they don't have a driver's license (or are smart enough to use a different type of ID) they cannot be tracked. So every violation is the first violation, their vehicles cannot be tracked and therefore impounded and even if they are, most people can afford $200 or so for a bike as opposed to $20K or so for a car. They pay no insurance so there are no consequences to them for being asshats, not to mention that any damage they cause to a car they have no way to cover.

There are also new laws that been introduced not too long ago that raised the responsibility of a driver that got into an accident with a cyclist. It used to be that a cyclist is treated as another vehicle but now they get "special" protection under the law.

If cyclists want equal rights on the road they must have equal responsibilities - till then my four rings will make a nice impression in someone's face if they decide to pull dumb shit.

P.S.
Forgot one more cyclist story. I was on the subway (on foot in case you were wondering) and some dude had his bike in the car. As the trains are not exactly roomy and I'm not exactly tiny I accidentally hit the bike on my way out. So I turned to the guy and apologized, instead of being gracious about it he gave me the "Watch where you going idiot". I just told him to fuck off and die as my connecting train was approaching and I didn't really have much time, had it been different circumstances I would have broken his bike.

Reactions: LP
Outside of campus there aren't many bikers around here, so its not really an issue for me... except for the time when I almost killed my roommate because he is an idiot and did not look to see if there was a car flying at him at 40mph before darting across the road at full speed... at dusk... wearing all dark... with no reflectors on his bike...

I roll my eyes (like this: :rolleyes:) and refer you to a part of my OP:

Some of us may cycle (I personally don't), and again some cyclists are awesome

It's like the stupid driver stories. There are horrible drivers and there are safe awesome drivers. It's silly to get offended because we have a thread on stupid drivers. Same way it's silly to get offended here. If you ride a bike and you're awesome at knowing to share the road and how to ride a bike properly, then more power to you.

If you're like the one guy who was coming up a small part of this hill where my driveway is, and then decides its ok to swear and hit my car when I pull into my driveway (even though I'm like 50 feet away from him and he won't lose speed or have to slow down much), then this thread is regarding you.

Unfortunately the cyclist in Toronto are specifically anti-car. The last high profile case happened in 2009 involving former attorney general Micheal Bryant most of the info on the incident is correctly documented on his wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bryant_%28politician%29. The only thing it misses is that after the charges were withdrawn, there was more video evidence of Sheppard's aggressive and potentially violent behavior had happened just minutes before he confronted Bryant. It also didn't mention that before much evidence was brought up, Micheal Bryant was pretty much demonized in the media. Lastly it doesn't mention that Toronto's cyclist groups still believe Micheal Bryant should be in jail regardless and just dismiss the whole notion Sheppard was a danger attempting to portray this as a poor guy against a powerful political figure.

I was mostly disgusted at the cyclist attitudes towards cars when this case was unfolding, meaning some of this behaviour that annoys us as drivers can be deliberate. I don't even like Micheal Bryant's term as attorney general yet I'm glad the justice system prevailed. Its fortunate I don't drive deep downtown anymore, although I've still had to pass inconsiderate cyclists by overtaking on the opposite lane because of the 2 lane roads in more rural roads. I'd rather just have cyclist separated from motor vehicles, less problems for everyone.

I both use a bike and car, and value their different merits and advantages equally.

Like everything else, 90% of a particular group are good, reasonable people, and the other 10 are what give it the bad reputation. If you don't think so, then you (a) probably caught them on a bad day/situation or (b) just attract bad luck.

I'm no psych, but I will theorize many of the reason that many bicyclists are, in the best light, distrustful of most cars and the mannerisms of their drivers on the road today (and with good reason), which is why you get these poor, even snobby, attitudes toward the cars they share the road with.

All cyclists have heard of those horror stories where some unattentive driver texting/being distracted and then plowing into a poor fellow on a bike, or those crazy asshats who like to target and particularly harass people on bikes by honking/scaring the lights out of them, or worse. Couple that with the abhorrent conditions/situations for cyclists on the majority of American public roads (compared to places like Europe), and you will get a situation that nobody is particularly very fond of.

There are also new laws that been introduced not too long ago that raised the responsibility of a driver that got into an accident with a cyclist. It used to be that a cyclist is treated as another vehicle but now they get "special" protection under the law.

If cyclists want equal rights on the road they must have equal responsibilities - till then my four rings will make a nice impression in someone's face if they decide to pull dumb shit.

Within good reason they should be extra protected, as even if the cyclist was largely/entirely at fault, a 2+ ton vehicle vs. a 20-25 pound piece of metal isn't going to end up pretty for the latter, no matter which way you look at it. If you are operating the vastly more potentially dangerous and destructive machinery on the road, you should be held more responsible and accountable for your actions. Even the most reckless and asshat-ish of a cyclist isn't going to as easily maim/kill someone in the lightest car. If I'm not mistaken, it's why truckers and other operators of heavy machinery need to be even more cautious and responsible on the road compared with regular drivers. I'm tired of states and people treating driving as a right, instead of the very serious privilege that it should be.

Sorry, the act of driving and possessing a driver's license is not a god-given right under the Constitution, contrary to the proclivity that most states hand them out like candy.

My mantra on the road, whether on a bike or car, is similar to narf, except it's: "Treat everybody like they're terrible drivers - equally."

Last edited:
<_<

The cyclists around here really piss me off. For starters, they don't pay taxes to ride on their bicycle on the road. I, however, do pay to drive my car on the road. So, I should have the right of way. That being said, I really don't have a problem with them being in the road. What I have a problem with is when they impede traffic. Around here that happens a lot. Just in my neighborhood we have bicycle lanes, but they don't use them. They still ride right on the edge of traffic. There are a lot of blind turns and hills around here. So I have to go out around them risking an accident or slow way down until I can see around them.

Also, we have A LOT of construction going on around here. The road that goes from my city down to the interstate is down to two very narrow lanes. There have been time that there have been bikers on there and the lanes are so narrow you can't pass them without going into the other lane. If there's a car there you would side swipe it. Problem is, the traffic is always congested so you can't go around them. As such you see a long line of cars stuck behind a bike. It's purely asinine and it's take a real special kind of asshole to do that.

Lastly, they don't ride single file. Sure, that's fine, but when a car comes up get your asses in single file!

Last edited:
I'm slightly terrified by the fact that cyclists in London are considered part of the roadwork, and can use actual traffic lanes, bus lanes, swerve in front of taxis and lorries, etc. I don't know who it's more frightening for. Then again, I wouldn't know where they would go otherwise.

I'd love to pick up a bicycle around here, so I'm not a slave to the Tube.

<_<

The cyclists around here really piss me off. For starters, they don't pay taxes to ride on their bicycle on the road. I, however, do pay to drive my car on the road. So, I should have the right of way. That being said, I really don't have a problem with them being in the road. What I have a problem with is when they impede traffic. Around here that happens a lot. Just in my neighborhood we have bicycle lanes, but they don't use them. They still ride right on the edge of traffic. There are a lot of blind turns and hills around here. So I have to go out around them risking an accident or slow way down until I can see around them.

Are you referring to a situation where a bicyclist may turn into and use the left-turn lane at a stoplight/sign? I dunno about the laws in Utah, but afaik in many states bicyclists are within their right to use this lane/lane marker for making a turn on a street, instead of having to wait for the pedestrian crosswalk (which incidently would get in the way of traffic). You may want to become familiar with the bike laws of your state/area.

http://www.utahbikes.org/laws/

Also, we have A LOT of construction going on around here. The road that goes from my city down to the interstate is down to two very narrow lanes. There have been time that there have been bikers on there and the lanes are so narrow you can't pass them without going into the other lane. If there's a car there you would side swipe it. Problem is, the traffic is always congested so you can't go around them. As such you see a long line of cars stuck behind a bike. It's purely asinine and it's take a real special kind of asshole to do that.

I agree that is a douchebag thing to do, but it really depends on each particular road. If the road is so narrow that there is no ditch/side for the bicyclist to step out of the way to, then what can you expect them to do? Maybe next time instead of waiting behind them you could offer them a rope and a lift, I know I'd appreciate that. ;)

Last edited:

You know what? People who go around, abuse pedestrians (including children) for legally walking on cycle paths/footpaths (which cyclists are not legally allowed on most of the time over here), or DRIVE somewhere to then clog up the road by going 20km/h on their carbon fibre super-bicycles whilst wearing lycra (often during peak hour or in a school zone) and then drive home again are lesser beings in my book. These people tend to have no regards for road rules, other road user's safety, etc. I have been hit by a bicycle not yielding for me at a pedestrian crossing (when 3 cars did) whilst he was speeding in a school zone. He then proceeded to abuse me for not letting him go by because I had now "ruined his lap time".

And only last week I nearly was hit by a bicyclist who managed to not hear both the revving of my scooter and my (very loud) horn whilst he was riding on the road, when a cycleway (footpath that a cyclist can legally ride on) was right next to him. Not to mention he was on the wrong side of the road in a blind corner. He also tried to abuse me (judging by the waving of his arms behind me), but I was too pissed off to even give a shit about what he wanted.

I know there are some good cyclists out there and plenty of good reasons to ride a bike (my dad cycles to and from work often for exercise, but even he prefers to break the law and ride on footpaths than hold up traffic/ride on the road when it is blatantly stupid to do so in some situations), but they are few and far between. Honestly, 99% of the people who cycle for any reason other than to get from A to B are complete and utter you-know-whats IMO and I would not want to give them the time of day. Especially when over here there are so many other options than riding on the freaking road (cycleways for example- there are at least 2 major- i.e. over 10km/h long- ones in my city alone).

I am of the opinion that all cyclists should have to register their bikes, get them checked regularly, and be licenced to ride on the road. I don't see why I should have to pay for idiots in lycra to not obey the road rules most of the time and generally get injured out of their own stupidity and hence raise overall insurance rates.

(Aussie Top Gear mag has a good article on the hatred of cyclists in it, good read actually).

Are you referring to a situation where a bicyclist may turn into and use the left-turn lane at a stoplight/sign? I dunno about the laws in Utah, but afaik in many states bicyclists are within their right to use this lane/lane marker for making a turn on a street, instead of having to wait for the pedestrian crosswalk (which incidently would get in the way of traffic). You may want to become familiar with the bike laws of your state/area.

http://www.utahbikes.org/laws/

No, I'm referring to the fact that they ride on the edge of traffic on the right side along the entire road even though they have a lane for them. I know they're allowed to be in the turning lanes.

I agree that is a douchebag thing to do, but it really depends on each particular road. If the road is so narrow that there is no ditch/side for the bicyclist to step out of the way to, then what can you expect them to do? Maybe next time instead of waiting behind them you could offer them a rope and a lift, I know I'd appreciate that. ;)

What I expect them to do is ride somewhere else. This is a road that only goes to the freeway and it's a long way there. There are plenty of paces for them to ride. Riding on that road was dangerous for both them and cars. Also, they have room they could pull off and get out of the way. Still, they shouldn't be there. It became such an issue cyclist were banned from that road until construction is done.

I'd love to pick up a bicycle Honda Super Cub around here, so I'm not a slave to the Tube.

FTFY :cool:

There are tons of cyclists around here, but since I rarely drive at rush hour, I don't mind them. They are usually the serious type who get going 20-25mph as well.

So, anyone want to start counting the violations of this very typical bicyclist?

IMG_7193.JPG

This sort of idiocy is exactly why bicyclists using the roads should be held to the same standard as everyone else and be required to pay road tax plus display license plates, have to register, etc., etc. Bicyclists are supposed to obey most of the same rules as anyone else using the roads, but try pulling the same stunts this guy is pulling on a motorcycle and you'll get busted and ticketed in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
No, I'm referring to the fact that they ride on the edge of traffic on the right side along the entire road even though they have a lane for them.

Over here cycle lanes themselves are optional, as long as there is no blue circular sign with a white bicycle on it cyclists can choose to either go on the road as if there was no cycle lane or use said lane. If there is such a sign the cyclists have to use whatever the sign is posted at.

Oh, and no cycling on freeways or the Autobahn :lol:

Last edited: