The Statistics, Surveys And Rankings Thread

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
I've been thinking about such a thread for some time now, being kind of a number cruncher. I have no idea if I'm alone with that passion but after some consideration, I decided to give it a try. Either it works out or not.

This thead is meant to be a collecting point for all kinds if statistics, rankings and surveys from all over the world. They can either ne national or international, doesn't matter. Just a collection of data, which in the best of case turns out to be a collection of reliable sources to look stuff up and in the worse case will end up in chaos :lol:

To set an example, I'm starting this with a couple of current surveys and rankings from my home country: Germany.

I'd like to start with a current sales diagram, that shows the total car sales of the last three years in Germany, which is particularly interesting because of the German "cash for clunkers" program, that gave the market a boost in 2009 but now in 2010 the sales have actually fallen behind the numbers of 2008:

n__09__10__grafik__jahresverlauf__gif,property=default.gif

The following table shows the new registrations of September 2010 and compares them to the numbers of September 2009, as well as the market shares and how they developed. For some reason the only car makers with a plus were Land Rover, Jaguar and Nissan/Infinity:
n__09__10__grafik__marken__gif,property=default.gif

And here's the number of registrations by car models in August 2010, including the development since 2009:
5052367020_f6fb7ed037_o.jpg

What I personally find surprising, is how far down the Opel models Astra and Insignia are, compared to their competitors. Only the Corsa and the Meriva sell well. Looks like there still is a long way ahead for Opel. And Dacia Sandero is down by 67.5 %...

Other current numbers of the German car market:

As of January 1st 2010, 56 million vehicles were registered in Germany, which also includes motorbikes. They fall apart in the following categories:
* Motorbikes 7.5 %
* Passenger cars 83.2 %
* Buses 0.1 %
* Trucks 4.8 %
* Tractors 3.9 %
* Others 0.5 %

- 65.7 % of all registered vehicles are German brands

- 32.4 % of all vehicles are registered to women

- 25.8 % of alle drivers are older than 60 years

- The average age of vehicles is 8.1 years

- Currently 612 vehicles are registered per 1000 inhabitants

The question, however, is: How did the dealers cope with the decline in sales in 2010? Did they improve their service, did they give the customer a proper sales talk? Did they offer test drives?

Leading German car magazine "auto, motor & sport" charged an independent business consultancy with a survey, in which test customers went to dealerships of the 34 major carmakers selling in Germany. 100 points were possible, the best one only achived 78, the worst only 53.

The testers based their judgement on the following categories:
- Impression of the outdoor area (Facade, finding the way, parking space)
- Impression of the business premises (Is it clean, is the presentation appealing?)
- Reception area (How long does the customer have to wait, is the reception friendly?)
- Business atmosphere (Is the salesperson alert and friendly, does the customer feel comfortable?)
- Quality of the counseling (How familiar is the salesperson with their products?)
- Product demonstration (How kind and expert is the salesperson in explaining the car?)
- Trade orientation (How convincing are the sales arguments and the discount offers?)
- Salesperson behavior (How is the overall impression of the salespersons, are they committed, serious, neat?

It turned out, that all dealerships had three major deficits:

1. Demand analysis (Salespersons consider customers' wishes only superficially), the top three here were BMW, Audi and Mercedes, the bottom three were Chrysler, Chevrolet and Daihatsu

2. Test Drives (No brand is satisfying here, even volume models were often not available for test drives), the top three here were Smart, Toyota and Renault, the bottom three Daihatsu, Chrysler, Chevrolet

3. Customer care after the sale (Only rarely the dealerships kept contact with the customer after the deal was finished), the top three were Audi, Lexus and VW, the bottom three Jeep, Daihatsu and Kia

And here's the table with the final results, including the difference to the 2009 survey:
5052328062_c484c2d17d_z.jpg

The end result shows some progress in comparison with 2009 but its worse than 2008, the last pre-crisis year.

What I personally find astonishing, is Opel's 21st place. Seems like they still haven't learned enough from their near-death experience.

Last edited:
Wouw , this is........euhrmmm, are you an accountant and/or related to James May?

There's a typo in the thread title - it should read "The German Thread".

Feel free to add stats from your own country. As I said in my introduction, it is meant to be an international thread.

Wouw , this is........euhrmmm, are you an accountant and/or related to James May?

Yes, I am a bit James May. Better than being a bit Jeremy Clarkson, I presume ;)

Last edited:
Statistics, eh?

The average fuel price for 95 octane in Kiel over the past 1.5 years was 1.33?, minimum 1.19?, maximum 1.46? :cry:

Feel free to add stats from your own country. As I said in my introduction, it is meant to be an international thread.

I doubt that's what he meant, I think he was thinking more along the lines off : 'It takes a German to come up with something like this'

Yes, I am a bit James May. Better than being a bit Jeremy Clarkson, I presume ;)
I quess that depends on what one does with his life :p

It's just an idea I had. Nobody's forced to read this thread or participate ;)

According to pretty much every car insurance company, if your a teen driver, you will most likely be killed once a day due to your inexperience and you will total your car on a monthly basis, at least that's what I got from that part of driver's ed.

Yep Daughter pranged car twice in first three months - ice and yet another idiot pikey in a white panel van, who drove off I might add. ? Told her straight - be better or die.

Two most stolen cars in Honduras

http://img833.imageshack.**/img833/3285/toyotahilux30d4d.jpg

http://img833.imageshack.**/img833/4691/1274210343942601203pick.jpg

I?ve got the stats for all of Europe and the USA, taken from my fresh edition of Umlaut-magazine.

Car sales numbers across Europe
http://img825.imageshack.**/img825/1007/europatotal.jpg

Sales in Europe by brand
http://img13.imageshack.**/img13/5748/europab.jpg

Sales in Europe by model
http://img696.imageshack.**/img696/1279/europamodel.jpg

Sales in USA by brand
http://img710.imageshack.**/img710/412/usaov.jpg

Sales in Sweden and percentage of sold cars running on diesel
http://img834.imageshack.**/img834/1020/sverigetopp25diesel.jpg

Miscellaneous knowledge: VW have sold a grand total of 37 Phaetons in Sweden in 8 years.

Last edited:
The sales numbers and statistics for 2010 have just been released for Germany, so it's time to update this thread again.

First the big tables. Left one shows the Top 50 best selling cars in Germany, right one shows the sales and market shares of car makers. Both tables also show the development since 2009. All in all it was a good year for the German car makers, importers are losing. That's probably because after the end of the financial crisis, the fleet market has jump-started again. The biggest losers are all those, who took profit from the cash & clunkers program:

5363174395_294108d070_o.jpg

These next two charts show the car models, which are the biggest winners and losers of 2010. The BMW X1 is the biggest winner with a plus of 701,3 %, while biggest loser is the Dacia Sandero with a minus of 67,2 %:

5363785334_32b99a5aae_o.jpg
5363786642_f1ea05e9ff_o.jpg

This table shows the best sellers on the private market and fleet market:
5363787524_081ede7afe_o.jpg

And finally a small comparison to other European countries. Spanish and British market recovered a bit but Italian and French market declined (bad for Fiat, Renault, Peugeot and Citroen, who depend much more on their home market than others):
5363174983_539f5da8cf_o.jpg

Last edited:
2010 Sales from my Home and Native Land:

1. Ford F-Series ? 97,913 sold
2. Honda Civic ? 57,501 sold
3. Dodge Caravan ? 55,306 sold
4. Dodge Ram (1500/2500/3500) ? 53,385 sold Fuck Yeah!
5. Mazda3 ? 47,740 sold
6. GMC Sierra ? 45,457 sold
7. Ford Escape ? 43,038 sold
8. Chevrolet Silverado ? 41,737 sold
9. Toyota Corolla ? 36,680 sold
10. Hyundai Santa Fe ? 27,882 sold

Fuel economy take a backseat to practicality here. Trucks FTW!

*gets popcorn*

Worst and best parking by brand

Most parking tickets
Fines per number of registered cars

1. Nissan: 35 procent
  2. BMW: 34 procent
  3. Mercedes: 32 procent

Least parking tickets
Fines per reigstered cars

1. Skoda: 14 procent
  2. Volvo: 19 procent
  3. Saab: 21 procent

Source: Transportstyrelsen, Swedish Transport Agency

Nissan drivers can't park. BMW and Mercedes drivers choose not to. Volvo and Saab are legion. Skoda drivers are the winners.

Last edited:
Here are the new car registrations in 2010 for the Czech Republic (category M1 only):
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/h0/h0nzik/2011/01/17/Brands2010.gifhttps://pic.armedcats.net/h/h0/h0nzik/2011/01/17/Models2010.gif

Overall, there was an increase by 4,7%, as the market was not skewed by some silly scrappage scheme.

Basically, it's just Skodas, and after a long margin a few Fords and VWs, and then lost and lots of Korean and low-cost French cars. I find it quite interesting how badly the Ford Mondeo does, both here and in Germany. I blame the design, really. It badly lacks timelessness and after the initial shock, no one really gives a damn any more.

In light of the imminent of merger of the Chrysler and Lancia model ranges in Europe, it is quite hilarious to look at their current sales. Lancia is outsold by Ferrari, Chrysler is outsold by Lada, and both of them combined still don't sell half as many cars as Porsche. In Germany it's much the same. One has to wonder why do they bother with the transaction costs and don't instead kill off both of the brands completely in Europe.

Oh and don't ask me what's Rover doing in there, I guess someone has accidentally left out "Land" or "Range" in the registration documents.

.cz has more Ferraris then Dodge. Never thought a Dodge could be called exclusive.