Do soft dashes really matter?

Nah it's fine, it's just that VW, being one of the forerunners in the softlack department, and as one of the big volume manufacturers, have been subject to much publicity regarding the issue of softlack peel and bubbling, predominantly on older cars. Also we must not confuse softlack with soft foam dashboards, altough they usually come hand-in-hand.

Well, if it's just the soft paint on the plastic parts, my last car had that a lot, I replaced some of the plastic bits to solve that problem (the ones costing less than 15 euro) and I have always thought of a way to get rid of it completely. But that could be removed. My dashboard now is not replaceable, and if the supersoft plastic of the dash (I can bend it with my fingers!) will get in bad shape, that would really be a big annoyance...

I really couldn't care less. I'd bet none of you could actually tell the costs of the various plastics in cars, not even by touch. And the fallacy of "if they sweat the details in the plastics, then they sweat the details everywhere" is also rampant in here. VWS? Ha! unreliability and rattles, and materials damage and broken MAFs and broken window regulators are rampant, but damn, those soft touch plastics are sure nice!

A good example was my SVT Contour (aka Mondeo ST200). Basic rental spec Contour dash and interior (other than the really nice sport seats) with hard plastics and casting lines visible. I didn't care because they spent the money where it counted: performance and handling. I drive the car, I don't drive the dash board. It really has to hold the gauges in the right place and cover the wiring, and that's really about it, so long as it looks reasonably decent. My Mustang looks good inside, and that's good enough for me, as the performance per dollar is where it's at.

Do you think the situation is THAT bad?

It wouldn't be bad if VW had set the standard for high-quality interiors with the B5 Passat. You had an interior that was pretty much Audi-spec in a car that cost significantly less. Same with the B6, and the same rule applies to the Jetta. The previous generation had a very well-built and well-screwed together interior. When you take that away, in the name of cost-cutting, it's really a shame. Especially since the current Jetta, if you try and equip it about the same as the last-generation, isn't really cheaper at all. And when you have a company that is so ripe with cash like VW, you know damn well they could sell the Jetta at pretty much whatever price they want and give it as nice an interior as they want.

And when you have a company that is so ripe with cash like VW, you know damn well they could sell the Jetta at pretty much whatever price they want and give it as nice an interior as they want.

That what happens when you try to be number one. The same thing has happened to Toyota. They become GM to beat it.

It wouldn't be bad if VW had set the standard for high-quality interiors with the B5 Passat. You had an interior that was pretty much Audi-spec in a car that cost significantly less. Same with the B6, and the same rule applies to the Jetta. The previous generation had a very well-built and well-screwed together interior. When you take that away, in the name of cost-cutting, it's really a shame. Especially since the current Jetta, if you try and equip it about the same as the last-generation, isn't really cheaper at all. And when you have a company that is so ripe with cash like VW, you know damn well they could sell the Jetta at pretty much whatever price they want and give it as nice an interior as they want.

Exactly. The Jetta interior put several true midsizers to shame. Now not so much, and if Ford and Nissan can price subcompacts competatively with a decent interior than why not VW with its compact/small midsize?

Even Toyota's sorta realizing the errors of their cost cutting ways: several sources say that the upcoming camry will herald a return to class leading quality and materials inside (a major painpoint in the current car) and out a'la the overengineered 92-96 cars.

Exactly. The Jetta interior put several true midsizers to shame. Now not so much, and if Ford and Nissan can price subcompacts competatively with a decent interior than why not VW with its compact/small midsize?

My ex-roommate had a Mk IV Jetta. Nice driving car, but the interior soft touch plastic wear bad over the years, the seat leather stained easily when a leather belt touched them, trim clips broke off, the trans went south, and the window regulators failed. In the first two years. But damn, did those soft touch plastics look good in the showroom!

Both the Fairlane and the K5 have soft touch dashes (sort of, its just vinyl over a foam backing, about .5 inch thick on the Fairlane, .25 inch thick on the K5)
Of course, now, 44 and 27 years later, the soft touch dashes just crack when you push on the wrong place too hard. (like anywhere exposed to the sun)
although I do admit, even being 25+ years old, there is not a single squeak or rattle coming from the dash area on either of them, unlike my parents cars, which are all newer, and all have hard plastic dashes.

The Fairlane may just be too simple, or too well put together to have noises, but the K5 being 1980s GM, I would have expected the build quality to be nearly non-existent, and I would also have expected it to squeak and rattle like crazy, but no. Apart from the tire roar from the off-road tires I put on it, its nearly silent inside at 60, or at 25 on dirt roads. (Not even much wind noise, the seals are still good)
About 50% of the dash in both of these cars is very hard steel too, (bottom half) perhaps that is the answer; just make half the dashes steel lol

So perhaps the soft touch dashes do cut down on the squeaking and rattling, but so far as I can tell, thats just about the only thing that really matters.
If either of my cars didn't have soft touch dashes, I don't think it would make any difference in the way they look. they might have even aged better looks wise, not having big, massive cracks throughout.
the dash in my dad's Olds Aurora looks fine, even though a significant amount of it is hard plastic.

Does this mean GM is now toyota? The malibu isnt anything exciting like a sports car, but it seems to be great in every way normal people judge cars by.

And ironically the Cruze has one of the best interiors in the class now :)
I had a Cruze as a rental and it was a great car. Enough power, Nice interior, decent center console.
Very amped up power steering, but not as bad as a Cobalt.

And ironically the Cruze has one of the best interiors in the class now :)

Most GM's have decent interiors now. At the last auto-show I went to they had an non-updated Impalla next to a Malibu and Equinox and the differences in the interiors were night and day. My wife wants another large vehicle to replace her Blazer and she was impressed with the interior of the Equinox.

Most GM's have decent interiors now. At the last auto-show I went to they had an non-updated Impalla next to a Malibu and Equinox and the differences in the interiors were night and day. My wife wants another large vehicle to replace her Blazer and she was impressed with the interior of the Equinox.

Yeah they are all well-made within their class, but IMO the Cruze's seems Golf-quality. High praise indeed.

Yeah they are all well-made within their class, but IMO the Cruze's seems Golf-quality. High praise indeed.

What's even more ironic, is that the Cruze interior has a lot more hard plastic than the Golf.

2011-Chevy-Cruze-Interior.jpg

Save for the leatherette/cloth inserts on the dash and doors, as well as the armrest pads...the rest of the interior is nicely grained hard plastic including the top of the dash and gauge hood.

One counter point then to the whole "soft touch matters" argument.

Generally hard plastic like that lasts under the wear and tear of sun better than VW-style soft plastic does too, so GM should develop quite a good reputation on the used car market in the next decade or two, exactly where the "Everyone says that X is reliable" opinions are formed and spread :)

To be serious, I don't think they matter at all. My old 97 F150 had a rock hard plastic dash, and had zero rattles even after 14 years and 146k miles. I have been driving my brothers 2007 VW GTI (made in the fatherland) and even though it has soft touch materials, its dash buzzes and rattles. Design and assembly are far more important than the feel of a material.

Reactions: TC
Doesn't really matter to me as long as it's not a luxury vehicle. My old Lincoln had a leather (or vinyl.. Can't remember) padded dash wish was very nice but i had completly forgot about it until this thread came up, it's such an insignificant detail. As long as it doesn't buzz, creak or rattle, i'm fine.

What's even more ironic, is that the Cruze interior has a lot more hard plastic than the Golf.

2011-Chevy-Cruze-Interior.jpg

Save for the leatherette/cloth inserts on the dash and doors, as well as the armrest pads...the rest of the interior is nicely grained hard plastic including the top of the dash and gauge hood.

One counter point then to the whole "soft touch matters" argument.

What? Have you driven the Cruze? The whole top is soft touch. Including the gauge hood.

What? Have you driven the Cruze? The whole top is soft touch. Including the gauge hood.

I sat in one (albeit a base model) at the local auto show, and Autoblog's first drive echo's this: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/31/2011-chevrolet-cruze-first-drive-review-road-test/

But it's the interior that does the heavy lifting in a small car. Typically, designers and bean counters wage a tireless war over material quality and convenience goodies, and nearly without fault, it's the accountants who stand victorious over their art-school foes. But this time, the halls of GM headquarters were lined with a carpet of lifeless forms still desperately clutching their adding machines. There are expletives to describe how nice the Cruze interior is compared to the long parade of Dollar General cabins we've seen in the past, but since we try to keep this place as family friendly as possible, we'll just say that it's fantastic. And it's about time.

In LTZ trim, the dash is dominated by a tech-laden but well-sorted center stack and accented with broad swaths of leather. We're not talking vinyl with real leather grain here, either. The dash trimmings, seats and steering wheel are all coated in hide that was once roaming a hillside. Their touch has the effect of distracting you from the fact that the rest of the dash and door panels are hard plastic. Nicely grained, sure, but the material is more along the lines of what we expect out of a GM compact. Put the two together, though, and you're rewarded with a duo that looks gorgeous. Simply put, we love it ? especially in the dark brown/cream combo of our tester.

Whatever it's made out of, it's very impressive. :cool:

I drive the car, I don't drive the dash board.

No, you drive the car with the dashboard. The dashboard has more uses than just to simply "hold the gauges" and "cover the wires". The actual point of the dashboard is to not only hold the gauges and hide the wires but to also provide a place for a radio, storage or maybe even the gear lever (on some cars) among countless others.

On some beautiful days where I want to enjoy driving I turn the radio off roll down the windows and drive. If I hear rattles and creaks coming from the inside of my car this ruins the driving experience a bit for me as well as others it would seem. I want to hear the engine, tires and maybe even a little wind noise--NOT SQUEEKS, RATTLES, OR CREEKS. You see a lot of people care about things such as workmanship + fit and finish as well. Part of driving a car is sitting in the interior portion of the vehicle behind said dashboard and using the features--some of which are actually located on the dashboard itself! I personally do not care what the dash looks like, it just needs to work and be devoid of noises that aren't coming from the speakers. It makes perfect sense to spend just a little money in R&D to ensure the materials do not make noise and would last at least the life of the vehicle. Usually soft dashes are the answer, not always but more often then not.

No, you drive the car with the dashboard. The dashboard has more uses than just to simply "hold the gauges" and "cover the wires". .

Past those two things, unless it's physically falling apart, I don't care. Serious. Try a race car or a caterham for examples of all that a dash needs to do.

Examples of dashes not needing soft touch plastics:

cat_bridge.jpg

scca-dash.jpg

img_7620%201_std.jpg

None of those have any of the rest of the crap you mentioned. None of them are soft to the touch. I'd drive the cars with those dashes with no issues, and HAVE driven cars like them.

You MIGHT want to back off on the attitude, princess (can you feel the pea under those 10 mattresses, too?)

Last edited: