14 Most unreliable cars (by Forbes)

pdanev

Forum Addict
So much for Mercedes and BMW being reliable :roll:

Stolen from VW Vortex.com forum

1_0705feat.jpg

Even though the 2005 model is a hoot to drive, BMW's 2004 5 Series had below-average reliability ratings for its electrical system, power equipment and body hardware--and below-average reliability overall. In Consumer Reports' terminology, power equipment includes electronically-operated accessories, such as mirrors, sunroofs, windows, door locks and seats, as well as audio systems, navigation systems and rear-entertainment systems. Body hardware includes manual mirrors, sunroofs, windows, doors, locks, latches, seat mechanisms, safety belts and glass defects.

2_0705feat.jpg

BMW's beautiful 7 Series flagship sedan was overhauled for model-year 2002, and it had major problems in its first two years. The 2002 and 2003 models had reliability ratings of 'poor,' the lowest, for their electrical systems and power equipment. A 'poor' rating in an area such as power equipment means more than 15% of owners reported problems.

3_0705feat.jpg

Jaguar's S-Type sedan has had a great deal of reliability problems in recent years. Take the 2003 model; it had below-average reliability overall, as well as below-average reliability in the following areas: fuel system, transmission, electrical system, air conditioning, suspension, brakes, power equipment, body integrity and body hardware. The category of 'body integrity' includes such areas as seals, weather stripping, air and water leaks, wind noise, rattles and squeaks.

4_0705feat.jpg

In model-year 2002, the Jaguar X-Type managed to score below-average marks in 12 of the 14 categories Consumer Reports uses to measure reliability.

5_0705feat.jpg

In model-year 2002, Land Rover's Freelander SUV scored an average reliability rating for its exhaust system. In the other 13 categories, it scored below-average marks--including the lowest possible scores for its electrical system, brakes and power quipment.

6_0705feat.jpg

For model-years 2002 to 2004, Lincoln's luxurious Navigator SUV had below-average overall reliability. In model-year 2004, it had below-average scores for its electrical system, air conditioning, suspension, power equipment, body integrity and body hardware, and a below-average score in the paint/trim/rust category.

7_0705feat.jpg

Mercedes-Benz still makes a great automobile; unfortunately, the four models you are about to see have some reliability problems. In model-year 2004, Mercedes' CLK-Class line of coupes and convertibles had below-average reliability ratings for their transmissions, electrical systems, power equipment and body hardware, and a below-average score in the paint/trim/rust category.

8_0705feat.jpg

In model-year 2004, the Mercedes E-Class had below-average reliability ratings for its electrical system, air conditioning, suspension, brakes, power equipment and body hardware.

9_0705feat.jpg

Mercedes' S-Class sedan has had some black eyes lately, including the lowest possible scores for the reliability of its electrical system (in 2002) and its power equipment (in 2002 and 2003). One reason all four of the Mercedes models in the slide show have had problems with their electrical systems is that the systems have become extremely complex in order to keep up with all of the advanced technology in a modern Mercedes.

10_0705feat.jpg

In model-year 2003, the Mercedes SL-Class convertible had below-average marks in eight of the 14 categories Consumer Reports uses to measure reliability.

11_0705feat.jpg

For model-year 2004, Porsche's Cayenne SUV had below-average reliability ratings for its electrical system, brakes, power equipment and body hardware. Nonetheless, the Cayenne is still luxurious and incredibly powerful.

12_0705feat.jpg

For model-year 2004, Saab's 9-3 had below-average reliability ratings for its fuel system, transmission, electrical system, brakes and power equipment.

13_0705feat.jpg

For model-year 2004, Volkswagen's Touareg SUV had below-average reliability ratings for its electrical system, suspension, power equipment, body integrity and body hardware. But the Touareg--like the Volvo XC90 in the next slide--is a beautiful, luxurious SUV that is a pleasure to drive.

14_0705feat.jpg

For model-year 2003, Volvo's XC90 SUV had below-average ratings in 12 of the 14 categories Consumer Reports uses to measure reliability.

Somethings not right about this list of cars...?? Oh yeh, they are all NICE cars!! I say who cares if they are unreliable! If they put a smile on your face while they are not in service, GREAT :thumbsup:

Hm, it seems Porsche joined that list of shame with it's Cayenne now. That's what you get when you trust VW to make your car :) 911's have been among most reliable cars for quite long though.

nah no wonder gangsters choose escaldes and not navigators...like zomg what will happen in a drive by if the car broke down.

Well, its almost the entire range of Mercs...

But I wouldn't care about that...

A friends Dad drives S-classes since the beginning of itme and he had 2 or 3 of the current ones. He does 100000 miles a year in them and gets new ones every 2 years... I haven't heard him complain once...

And I know tons of ppl with 5 series, and none of them had any problems...

Don't know what those fuckers do to their cars???

Buba

The Sat/Nav systems are different in America, so electrical problems might just be because of a software error or bug.
Just think about the problems of the E-class, the brakes and all that stuff, but I was actually surprised that the S-class is in that list, because it is an old model really, should be most reliable at the end of the production cycle. :shock:

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Somethings not right about this list of cars...?? Oh yeh, they are all NICE cars!! I say who cares if they are unreliable! If they put a smile on your face while they are not in service, GREAT :thumbsup:
errr, not really :p here's a scenario:

You go down to your favourite club, where you have VIP pass and table. Obviously. you are in your (e.g)merc. You pick up a nice chick. Everything is going fine, you are thinking owww yeah, score. At the end of the evening time to go home, you leave the club, get into your shiny fancy car. You are about to start the engine, when a few lights come up the dash board, indicating all kinds of electronical errors, and preventing you from starting the car. You of course think, meeeh, stupid indicators going nutts again, and still decide to start the car with brutal force, which eventually you manage to do, but after 2.5metres your car grounds to a hold. Of course you have to explain the chick what is wrong, but at that time that will be your smallest problem, as everyone infront of the club will laugh their ass off at you, saying and pointing "look at that fool", "he has a badass looking car but cos he cant drive he broke it again". Well, i bet that does put a big smile on your face doesnt it? :D

Kinda sad how the old S-Class were one of the most respected cars in the world and now it's plagued with electronics. Mercedes' excuse was "it's full of new electronics and when you're at the forefront of the technology race, you expect to have problems" Err, NO! What about Toyota's Prius which has been around since 1997? It had not a single hybrid-related problem. Or what about Lexus' LS430? It's choked full of gadgets (though not as much as the S-Class) but it has way fewer problems. Those Germans gotta find another electrical supplier. Kinda sad my two favourite cars are on that list - X-Type and 9-3. :(

damn.. and not one asian car was mentioned..

i dunno.. they neglected to mention the Mercedes ML.. which is by far the most unreliable mercedes ever made.. so i dont know if i believe that too much

MercedesAMG said:
damn.. and not one asian car was mentioned..

i dunno.. they neglected to mention the Mercedes ML.. which is by far the most unreliable mercedes ever made.. so i dont know if i believe that too much

Maybe because the new one is already out?

sounds like some "creative auto Journalism" to me... gotta make a headline to see a story.

^ well forbes are one of the (if not the) most famous guys that do rankings, so i wouldnt doubt the credibility of that so much ;)

Can't say this list surprises me at all. Porsche's average reliability has plummetted with the Cayenne. (They used to be J.D. Power and Associates' number 2 automaker for reliability, and after the Cayenne was released it went to second to last)

I'm surprised there aren't more Volvos up there...they are LOW on J.D.P.A.'s rankings. And as of the current ratings cycle, Audi is the only German manufacturer above-average in reliability.

they are all good.

most people that buy those cars have too much money and are not relly bothered, which could be why things go wrong sometime

Basic Jap cars are great, but buy something like an NSX, GTO or Supra and then they spend nearly as much time in the shop as they do on the road.

Always get raped on parts and services too.