Car Documentaries Worth Watching

Pole Position: The warriors of Formula 1.

Lots of interviews, onboards, behind-the-scenes, as well as some oddball stuff. As you can see from the trailer, it includes footage from other forms of racing such as motorcycles, sprint cars, drag racing, rallying, even tractor pulling. There's Paul Newman running in IMSA with a Datsun 280ZX, Mario Andretti crash landing a snowmobile in Yellowstone and Ken Carter's famous attempt to jump a rocket-powered Lincoln across a river. Be warned, however, that there are also several crashes, some of them very gratuitous.

As a side note, this guy is regularly uploading rare F1 coverages and highlights from the 60s/70s/80s.

Also as another side note, the other documentary mentioned in the trailer and at the start of this one, Speed Fever, is much better, so of course it's not available in english anywhere. It can be found on youtube in italian, czech and japanese, and there's a german dvd on amazon, but no english whatsoever, save for this 2 min clip.

i have speed fever in english! it's out there ;)

i actually have the torrent seeding atm, but if i go search the tracker for that file, i don't get any results :/
not sure how that works...

i have speed fever in english! it's out there ;)

How is the picture quality? From a little research, it seems it came out in dvd only in Germany and Japan, and the german version is basically a vhs-transfer. The japanese version looks great (considering the age), but it has hardcoded japanese subtitles.

And now for something different

Last edited:
This is not quite a documentary, but it is interesting none the less.

(also note the very good US army advertisement at 21:07)

Last edited:
If you're inot these sort of cars, this video is absolutely fantastic!

[video=youtube;tw1F-3U4GJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw1F-3U4GJQ[/video]

Similar to "Stromlinien-Akte", here another great documentary by Mercedes-Benz. Sadly, so far only available in German.

[video=youtube;_G-AOT-RoRA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-AOT-RoRA[/video]