Volkswagen is in trouble with just about everybody on the f'ing planet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volkswagen is in trouble with just about everybody on the f'ing planet

Wow. Just saw this article from the New York Times.

Volkswagen Is Ordered to Recall Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Emissions Software

Last edited by LazarusMP; September 24th, 2015, 12:32 AM.

That's shady as fuck.

OSPhoto

Comment

This is news? This is how quite a few manufacturers do this ... apparently the EU doesn't have a problem with that. /

Viva la Targa!

"Anybody who accuses this of being a girl car, needs to get into a Miata or Fiata on a back road. This is the most fun you can have in a car - without a girl in it." - Jason Cammisa about the ND platform
      "Changing gear is a vital form of self-expression that I'm being denied." - Richard Hammond on the Gen 4 Clio RS
      "These cars remind us, what driving - and in a wider sense, what motoring is all about. It's about the sensation of controlling a machine - not the speed with which you cover ground." - Chris Harris on the Caterham Seven and the purity of driving

Comment

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
        That's shady as fuck.
        How goes the old NASCAR saying? It's only cheating if you get caught.
        Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
        (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

So many questions....

*How the hell did VW think they'd get away with this...surely someone had to figure that it would be revealed somehow?
          *Say they solve this via a software update (which will likely have to happen) that activates the full emissions controls all the time....does this affect everyday drivability, performance, MPG, overall specs, etc.

*Will they face class-action suits by owners if they have to restate MPG, horsepower, etc. IIRC, Hyundai faced the latter in the 90's, and of course dealt with the MPG Scandal by giving owners debit cards that they get "refilled" at the dealer every month.
          "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

"A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Comment

Damn, that is the Smokey Yunick School of Automotive Shenanigans right there.

Comment

Jalopnik reports that VW's social media team set all the diesel ads to private on youtube. The same ads where they mention such measurables like driving range and MPG....things that may be affected by a software update to meet US emissions. Ads that will need to be altered if a few of the latest ones are on national tv still.

The plot thickens...
              "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

"A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Comment

This actually doesn't bother me at all. Given the EPA testing cycle slants heavily in favour of hybrids and turbocharged engines (since "load" is not a factor and acceleration in these cars occurs off boost/off batteries), I'm happy to see people fucking with it even more.
                Originally posted by tigger
                The Lord spoke, "Let there be angry V8s, whistling turbos and big ass cams." And it was good.

Comment

Less diesels == more good: )
                  ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

Comment

Originally posted by rickhamilton620 View Post
                    So many questions....

*How the hell did VW think they'd get away with this...surely someone had to figure that it would be revealed somehow?
                    Often, no, they don't think they'll get caught.

*Say they solve this via a software update (which will likely have to happen) that activates the full emissions controls all the time....does this affect everyday drivability, performance, MPG, overall specs, etc.
                    It's almost going to have to affect those and affect it severely.

I had been wondering how VW had been able to meet the 09-on emissions restrictions with so few changes to their diesel engines, no significant power penalty and most importantly no urea injection system. All the more so since Navistar and Cummins had gigantic problems meeting the requirements without urea injection and both eventually gave up. I guess it turns out that VAG didn't, not really - they just faked it.

If they change the software to keep the emissions in limits, I bet those cars are going to experience some severe power loss and degraded drivability.
                    Last edited by Spectre; September 18th, 2015, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I see a class action lawsuit in the very near future.
                      "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

"No man's life, liberty or happiness are safe while Congress is in session,"- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by GRtak View Post
                        I see a class action lawsuit in the very near future.
                        I see *many* class action lawsuits in the near future. The few A3s that got sold tend to be bought as cars for the children of wealthy people. Who, when their child comes to them telling them that their car is now all but undrivable after the emissions compliance update, are likely going to start reaching for the lawyers.

Comment

This won't be fun for VW. Piech's dream of selling ten trillion cars a year is going to hit a roadblock with this. Not that he is one to care now.
                          bogative ?

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
                          "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
                          "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Comment

bogative ?

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
                            "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
                            "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Comment

Yeah... that ad is what may have started someone looking at this seriously.

Come to think of it, doesn't this also make VW a gross and willing polluter and therefore liable for billions of dollars of fines for fraudulently selling non-compliant engines?
                              Last edited by Spectre; September 19th, 2015, 1:52 AM.

Comment

Fucking Germans....

1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                                2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                                1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                                2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
                                2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post
                                  Fucking Germans....

"Tone deaf" should be your user title.
                                  The Lord spoke, "Let there be angry V8s, whistling turbos and big ass cams." And it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
                                    Yeah... that ad is what may have started someone looking at this seriously.

Come to think of it, doesn't this also make VW a gross and willing polluter and therefore liable for billions of dollars of fines for fraudulently selling non-compliant engines?

I am sure that is how it will be interpreted by some. It really is true too, so they will get bent over and cry all the way to the SCOTUS until the fine gets lowered.
                                    "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

"No man's life, liberty or happiness are safe while Congress is in session,"- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by JimCorrigan View Post
                                      "Tone deaf" should be your user title.
                                      Nah, he's right about the VAG tribe of Germans this time. Their "zuperior engineerink" that they were so proudly touting as producing cleaner diesels without the use of urea injection when Cummins and International/Navistar were unable to do so even with billions of dollars thrown at the problem, so much so that Navistar almost went out of business trying, turned out to be 'we used a Game Shark on the tests.'

Yeah, sorry, when you're running huge ad campaigns trumpeting how your superior engineering means that your diesel vehicles are cleaner and eco and safer for the earth therefore people should buy your product and it turns out it was all a bunch of lies? You need to be smacked down hard, the more so since other companies were being honest and were penalized for not meeting the standards while VW was lying their asses off.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
                                        Nah, he's right about the VAG tribe of Germans this time. Their "zuperior engineerink" that they were so proudly touting as producing cleaner diesels without the use of urea injection when Cummins and International/Navistar were unable to do so even with billions of dollars thrown at the problem, so much so that Navistar almost went out of business trying, turned out to be 'we used a Game Shark on the tests.'

Yeah, sorry, when you're running huge ad campaigns trumpeting how your superior engineering means that your diesel vehicles are cleaner and eco and safer for the earth therefore people should buy your product and it turns out it was all a bunch of lies? You need to be smacked down hard, the more so since other companies were being honest and were penalized for not meeting the standards while VW was lying their asses off.
                                        It's not the sentiment behind the comment, it's the comment itself I find objectionable.

Comment

Working...
                                        X