No announcement yet.

Volkswagen is in trouble with just about everybody on the f'ing planet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No surprise there. It has a reason why there are a couple of lawsuits against cities here at the moment, forcing them to forbid diesels from entering towns because car makers and the government apparently aren't doing enough.

It's also very clear now that VW isn't the only one (or the worst) who cheated with Diesel emissions - but unfortunately they were the only ones dumb enough to do it in the USA. On the long run, however, the whole Diesel affair might turn out to have had a positive effect in hindsight because it opened the eyes of the public to a subject the carmakers would have rather swept under the rug.

So by cheating and being caught doing so, VW might have actually done the world a favour - involuntarily of course
    If Liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" (George Orwell)

Comment

It was clear that VW wasn't the only one cheating when none of the competitors has said anything as VW was being smashed in the face with dieseslgate, none tried to take advantage of the thing to show how clean their diesels were and to get good publicity. No, they all remained very much silent.

Why?

Exactly.
      Going fast out of rage, pride or boredom is like buying a ticket to crash.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGuffin View Post
        So by cheating and being caught doing so, VW might have actually done the world a favour - involuntarily of course
        just like those priests showed that religion is bullshit by raping those children...

Comment

Originally posted by MWF View Post
          I saw something recently, can't quite remember where, that basically said that your iPhone's journey by ship from China to Europe or America generates less CO2 than your drive to the store to buy it. Per phone that is. Makes sense.
          Except that iPhones are shipped by air. Wouldn't want so many small and pricey items to be stuck on a boat for that long.

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
            just like those priests showed that religion is bullshit by raping those children...

"I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

We’ve gone from 'Hope and Change' to 'Hope and Change Your Story.' -Bill Maher

Comment

Originally posted by GRtak View Post
              exactly!

"VW did the world a favor by poisining everybody!"

Comment

1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
                2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
                  exactly!

"VW did the world a favor by poisining everybody!"

Umm, no, I was referring to your analogy.
                  "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

Comment

it's called Reductio Ad Absurdum

Comment

I personally think this is a bit harsh.

Comment

I personally think this is a bit harsh.
                        Nope. Federal felony plus process crimes. He got off easy. And I'm certain that his sentence could be reduced if he were to testify against the other VW execs that we're pretty sure had greater responsibility. Betcha he didn't think he'd be going to jail and that our prosecutors were bluffing.

So, all you people that said nobody would be going to jail over this? Yeah, about that...
                        Last edited by Spectre; December 10th, 2017, 9:43 AM.

Comment

I have no problem with the man going to jail for his involvement with the crimes he and his cohorts committed, but as you noted, he was probably not the one that was chiefly responsible. His not speaking up when he was given the order is what got him in trouble, now he just needs to co-operate on the testimony that will never take place in this country. Germany will not extradite it's citizens.

In my opinion, he should have received a 4 year sentence.

Comment

I have no problem with the man going to jail for his involvement with the crimes he and his cohorts committed, but as you noted, he was probably not the one that was chiefly responsible. His not speaking up when he was given the order is what got him in trouble, now he just needs to co-operate on the testimony that will never take place in this country. Germany will not extradite it's citizens.
                            That's what international police warrants are for. Sure, Germany won't extradite - but most of Europe will cheerfully do so. Those execs will never be able to leave Germany to visit the rest of Europe and will have severely limited options for other foreign destinations. The former execs may just retire to the countryside, but the current remaining execs will be in the position of *never* being able to attend any non-German international auto shows or conferences or anything else - something very unusual in the auto industry. The reputation of VW as a criminal enterprise that happens to make cars would eventually be cemented as a result

Oh, and after a while? The US can seize their NA operations as assets belonging to a criminal enterprise if the responsible parties continue to hide in Germany. The US has done it before.
                            Last edited by Spectre; December 11th, 2017, 3:56 AM.

Comment

Oh wow... just.... wow. Or: Meet The New Führer, Same As The Old Führer. Source: http://www.dw.com/en/german-scientis...16393-xml-atom

German scientists involved in toxic diesel fume tests on humans

Humans were exposed to the toxic fumes in experiments requested by a group funded by German carmakers, according to media reports. The shocking revelation came after tests on monkeys became public over the weekend.

Reports by German newspapers Stuttgarter Zeitung and Süddeutsche Zeitung said humans had been exposed to a gas found in diesel fumes during an experiment "sometime between 2012 and 2015" requested by a group funded by German carmakers.

Auto manufacturers said they had an interest in proving that the use of modern technology made diesel emissions more or less harmless.

The tests were requested by the European Research Group on Environment and Health in the Transport Sector (EUGT) — a now defunct organization founded by German carmakers Volkswagen, Daimler and BMW.

The experiments focused on "short-term nitrogen dioxide inhalation by healthy people," according to the newspapers. An Aachen-based university hospital then examined 25 people after they inhaled varying amounts of the gas over several hours.

The experiments were reported on after recent revelations of an experiment where — in equally inacceptable tests — monkeys were made to inhale the toxic gas.

Not to be tolerated

Reacting to the accusations, Volkswagen said in a statement "we are convinced that the scientific methods chosen at the time were wrong."

Daimler said Sunday it was "shocked by the extent of those studies and the way there were carried out." "We strongly condemn the tests," the company said, adding that it had had no say in the testing method and the measures taken by the EUGT were "against Daimler's values and ethical principles."

The Stuttgart-based carmaker said it had launched an investigation into the tests on monkeys and humans which it considered "superfluous and repulsive."
                              Holy fuck..... Seriously???????? What's next, "mobile labs" where the subjects sit in the back and the 'test gas' is pumped in to the sealed compartment?
                              Last edited by Spectre; January 29th, 2018, 9:59 AM.

Comment

I mean, it would make use of all the pedophiles that are locked up.
                                1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                                2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                                1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                                2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
                                2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

Dramatic photos show thousands of the cars awaiting their fate. Volkswagen says it has paid more than $7.4 billion to buy back diesel cars in the U.S.

Comment

I would take an US spec VW Diesel for cheap .

Comment

The title says it all, but the sub plot is, The hits just keep on coming.
                                      The German car giant is fined for selling diesel cars containing software which cheated emissions tests.

Comment

Working...
                                      X