Everyone's favorite game: Help pick a new car.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
My cousin's wife was involved in a crash this weekend and her van is likely a write-off. Fortunately the kids were not in the car at the time, but she did get a mile concussion.

gT90uNZ.jpg

Replacement requirements:
  • No more than $20,000 (the cheaper, the better)
  • Three rows of seats
  • Automatic
  • Truck chassis preferred
  • 4WD Required

His list of contenders:
  • Pathfinder
  • Excursion
  • CR-V (not 3-rows and a unibody, but he was considering it)

I made the case for the 2010-2012 Pathfinder and sent him several possibilities currently listed in Utah. What else should we consider?

Last edited:
Armada, Sequoia, Pilot? Latter is Odyssey-based IIRC so it'll feel familiar.

The Armada and Sequoia might be too large and too expensive. The Pathfinder is just about the right price for a 2010-2012, Toyotas tend to be much more expensive than a similar year and mileage Nissan.

GMT-900 Tahoe?

Unlike the CR-V, the RAV4 came with an optional third row, but how small are the kids that will go into the 3rd row?

The youngest would fit... for now.

Not a truck chassis, but dat 3.5 twin turbo.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/657548862/overview/

Also the most comfortable 2nd row I've ever rode in.

EDIT: One a bit closer, but higher mileage - https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/649947562/overview/

Unlike the CR-V, the RAV4 came with an optional third row, but how small are the kids that will go into the 3rd row?

It did? My dad has a 2007, and I can't for the life of me imagine where the 3rd row would go.

Last edited:
I actually just sent him a couple listings for the AWD Flex to see if it will do for him. I drove one at an auto show a few years ago and really liked it, plus, it has amazing visibility.

Highlander? Between the RAV4 and Sequia.

Expedition EL comes to mind. I think the Pathfinder's going to be a bit small - the truck is really a two row design they tacked a third row onto (because of people like rick) and it rather shows.

- - - Updated - - -

Highlander? Between the RAV4 and Sequia.

Disqualified because it's a Camry. The Camry is not a truck platform. It also doesn't have real 4WD, instead having a cheap and crappy AWD system that's pretty bad. However, the AWD versions are unusual as most of them are FWD.

- - - Updated - - -

GMT-900 Tahoe?

They built those here in the Dallas area. You really don't want one if you can avoid it.

Last edited:
Disqualified because it's a Camry. The Camry is not a truck platform. It also doesn't have real 4WD, instead having a cheap and crappy AWD system that's pretty bad. However, the AWD versions are unusual as most of them are FWD.

My dad's V6 Limited AWD might be coming onto the market in the near future. On the plus side, that thing is much faster than it has any right to be. 0-60 takes just about 6 seconds. But on the down side, no 3rd row, and its got near as makes no difference 190,000 miles on it. And it may be just a Camry in an oversized suite, but I enjoy driving it more than I do my mom's TL.

The Armada and Sequoia might be too large and too expensive. The Pathfinder is just about the right price for a 2010-2012, Toyotas tend to be much more expensive than a similar year and mileage Nissan.

If the Armada and Sequoia are going to possibly be too big, I'd scratch the Excursion off the list. IIRC, it was slightly bigger than a Suburban of the same year.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking Lexus GX, but just about everything under 20k has over 100k miles.

Last edited:
I talked to him again and he said they liked the Sequoia and Armada, bit they were out of the price range from what he could tell.

Out of left field but how about a GM Lambda crossover? One checks nearly all the boxes (yes, I know it's not BOF and not 4WD, just AWD... but BlindIo said "BOF preferred" not "required") with both a third row sized for real adults + usable cargo space behind it.

My brother's 08 Enclave has been soup to nuts reliable with nearly 80k on the clock. I've both ridden and driven it multiple times and it's a quiet and comfortable highway cruiser.

Last edited:
Out of left field but how about a GM Lambda crossover? One checks nearly all the boxes (yes, I know it's not BOF and not 4WD, just AWD... but BlindIo said "BOF preferred" not "required") with both a third row sized for real adults + usable cargo space behind it.

My brother's 08 Enclave has been soup to nuts reliable with nearly 80k on the clock. I've both ridden and driven it multiple times and it's a quiet and comfortable highway cruiser.

This will end well...

Mercury Mountaineer AWD

2010-mercury-mountaineer-2257.jpg

I had one and they are fantastic, especially with the V8. I would buy anothe one if the wife would of let me. :lol:

It tows, has good options, and is bulletproof reliable.

*edit* I'd also like to mention it is very quick off the line and has a ton of airbags as well. Plus they are not very expensive and are cheap to fix if needed.

Last edited:

an-angry-mob.png

Rick, what have we told you?

Alright, the rules of the game have changed.

We are down to $10,000 and I am waiting for the Big Talk to take place tomorrow when they decide if they are sticking with the SUV idea or will go with a Crossover or minivan.

I'm also trying to decide if I should let Rick out of the cellar just so I can make sure my cousin doesn't buy anything he recommends.