The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

Model X voted as the least reliable car of 2018 by CR.... :rofl:

INB4 "but they're a startup!!!!1111" comments...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*edit*

Though CR is a shit-show snotrag of an organization. Still, I found it humorous.

Elon Musk to throw a Trumpian fit of rage on Twitter against CR in 3...2....

As much fun as it is to rag on Tesla, can I point out how ridiculous it is to have a reliability ranking for 2018 in 2017? I guess it's easier to tell that a car is unreliable than reliable...

I agree. They say they base the new model year on previous model year performances, but that is lame. It puts a year-long delay on their findings on any incremental improvements made to models over time...which do happen.

uu9pmDP.gif

Perfect. I've been preaching about hydrogen for at least a decade. Glad to see someone actually grow some balls and do something useful. Kudos to these amazing Dutch. I'd get in to my love for Hydrogen more but that's way off-topic here.

So yea, fuck Tesla, rabble rabble. :lol:

Honda, Toyota and Hyundai been working on it as well. Biggest problem with H is that like battery it is essentially energy storage but it is much less efficient in that regard.

GM made the first fuel cell vehicles back in the 60s. A couple of them are even on the moon. ;)

Well here is the man that designed the van.

Honda, Toyota and Hyundai been working on it as well. Biggest problem with H is that like battery it is essentially energy storage but it is much less efficient in that regard.

I know they have and good on them. Ideally the goal should be to generate it yourself in the vehicle but I'll settle what what these Dutch did while we wait the decades for single vehicle generation.

Sadly, the "article" does not contain any additional information about how they actually did it. It just put more words around the fact that was already apparent from the name of the link.

They installed a fuel cell, I'm not sure it requires anymore explanation than that?

I know they have and good on them. Ideally the goal should be to generate it yourself in the vehicle but I'll settle what what these Dutch did while we wait the decades for single vehicle generation.

How would you generate it though? You would need a power source :p

How would you generate it though? You would need a power source :p

Electrolysis. No idea the science behind it but that's one way. I'll assume by the time we figure that out you could have a roof of solar panels to generate the needed power to store in the batteries. But I'm not a scientist or electrical engineer so this may be an ignorant idea. ;)

They installed a fuel cell, I'm not sure it requires anymore explanation than that?

The text states that it was a difficult job, but no further explanation for that is given. Where was it installed? In which way is it working together with the battery? Which of the two resources is used primarily? What kind of software hackery was necessary to convince the car to accept the new power source? Do they actually charge the battery from the fuel cell or is its energy sent directly to the engines? Does regenerative braking still work?

Next up: Company manages to cure every illness ever. Difficult but doable. The end.

Electrolysis. No idea the science behind it but that's one way. I'll assume by the time we figure that out you could have a roof of solar panels to generate the needed power to store in the batteries. But I'm not a scientist or electrical engineer so this may be an ignorant idea. ;)

Much more efficient to just charge batteries from your rooftop solar cells... They won't make enough power to give you significant range though, more like "run the ac at full blast in the summer sun".

What would be feasible is to have your house store the energy from its rooftop panels as hydrogen, but also at an efficiency penalty compared to a battery in your basement.

Last edited:

Yeah you basically need a power source to do it and if you have a power source capable of that you might as well power your car with it :)