Rotary Engine discussion

zyran

MMMmmm ROTARY AVATAR.... MMMM

If only it was a .GIF of it spinning. That would be orgasmic! :p

:p

Shots of a rotary spinning is extremely hypnotic though. It's so bizzare and elegant at the same time.

zenon said:
If only it was a .GIF of it spinning. That would be orgasmic! :p
AWankelmotor02.gif

When you wake up you'll believe the car jeremy points at is your brand new 911.... :D

Mmmmmmmmm... rotary spinning. :mrgreen: :p

Can't.... stop ..... looking ..... must ...... close ...... window ....... :lol:

RussTypeS said:
its spinning backwards....
Uh, how do you know that the animation isn't just from the other side of the rotor?

Viper007Bond said:
Uh, how do you know that the animation isn't just from the other side of the rotor?

im guessing the red flash is supposed to represent combustion. it looks like a pp housing, with the 2 black marks on the left side, the bottom is located where the exhaust should be, the top where the intake should be.

i guess it could be upside down, but then the ports would still be in the wrong place.

still cool, just backwards :)

I never read up on rotary technology, but is the shape of the chamber an oval rather than a circle, because it would be hard to completely get rid of the exhaust gasses otherwise?

Well, yes, I can see... :roll:

Or is that reply your inventive way of saying...
"Yes, it's an oval because of that reason" :)

^ You are correct, sir! :D The shape of the chamber is an extremely important feature of rotary engines. Think about compression. A piston in a cylinder is relatively easy to think about, but watch the rotor in Renesis' post earlier, and see how the size of the "combustion chamber" is compressed by the "fat - 8" shape....whoever originally came up with rotary engines (I forget the name) was incredibly smart.

Howstuffworks.com has a pretty cool animation and explination of how a rotary works.

Check it out here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine8.htm

If you click on the "Click Here for Cycle Breakdown" button in the little Flash animation there is a very clear breakdown of the compression, combustion and exhuast stages of the rotary.

well my opinion on rotary engines, shit , it looks like a washer maching.

laundry_dryers.jpg

pistons pump!! rotarys rinse, dry, repeat. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Boooooooooo! Hiss! :evil:

You can have all the pistons you want, I'll take the washer thank you very much. :p