Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotary Engine discussion

MMMmmm ROTARY AVATAR.... MMMM

If only it was a .GIF of it spinning. That would be orgasmic!

*Disclaimer: 'Official "What's that Song?" Guy' unless said song is European house music or sung in German.

Comment

haha....dirty minded car freak.....no offence...

Comment

Shots of a rotary spinning is extremely hypnotic though. It's so bizzare and elegant at the same time.

*Disclaimer: 'Official "What's that Song?" Guy' unless said song is European house music or sung in German.

Comment

Originally posted by zenon
          If only it was a .GIF of it spinning. That would be orgasmic!

When you wake up you'll believe the car jeremy points at is your brand new 911....

Comment

Mmmmmmmmm... rotary spinning.

Comment

Can't.... stop ..... looking ..... must ...... close ...... window .......

Comment

Originally posted by RussTypeS
                its spinning backwards....
                Uh, how do you know that the animation isn't just from the other side of the rotor?
                My Cars: 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible (summer weekend car), 2001 Ford Mustang GT coupe (winter car & grocery getter)
                There is no replacement for displacement.
                - Wolfgang Bernhard, then Chief Operating Officer, Chrysler Group talking about the Dodge Viper SRT-10
                ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
                - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Viper007Bond
                  Uh, how do you know that the animation isn't just from the other side of the rotor?
                  im guessing the red flash is supposed to represent combustion. it looks like a pp housing, with the 2 black marks on the left side, the bottom is located where the exhaust should be, the top where the intake should be.

i guess it could be upside down, but then the ports would still be in the wrong place.

still cool, just backwards

Comment

Comment

I never read up on rotary technology, but is the shape of the chamber an oval rather than a circle, because it would be hard to completely get rid of the exhaust gasses otherwise?

Comment

Like you can see it's an oval

Comment

Well, yes, I can see...

Or is that reply your inventive way of saying...
                          "Yes, it's an oval because of that reason"

Comment

^ You are correct, sir! The shape of the chamber is an extremely important feature of rotary engines. Think about compression. A piston in a cylinder is relatively easy to think about, but watch the rotor in Renesis' post earlier, and see how the size of the "combustion chamber" is compressed by the "fat - 8" shape....whoever originally came up with rotary engines (I forget the name) was incredibly smart.

Comment

I assume his name is Wankel since rotary engines are also called Wankel engines?

Comment

^ Right, that't it, Wankel.

Comment

Howstuffworks.com has a pretty cool animation and explination of how a rotary works.

Check it out here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine8.htm

If you click on the "Click Here for Cycle Breakdown" button in the little Flash animation there is a very clear breakdown of the compression, combustion and exhuast stages of the rotary.

Comment

well my opinion on rotary engines, shit , it looks like a washer maching.

pistons pump!! rotarys rinse, dry, repeat.

"Iíll sock you in the goddamn face and youíll stay plastered!"
                                    -William F. Buckley Jr.

Ich Fahre Deutschen, Ich Fahre Mercedes-Benz.

Comment

Boooooooooo! Hiss!

You can have all the pistons you want, I'll take the washer thank you very much.

Comment

Gotta admit it's funny though

Comment

Working...
                                        X