The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KaJuN View Post
    You might as well try a low cash offer. The worst you'll get is a "no" and then you can work up from there. Heck it worked with my Disco, I offered $1000 less than the asking price and he took it.

In other motorbiking news my scoot has a new addition which I posted a photo of in the group. I figured it was a good way to mark the first anniversary of my bike's first ride in over three years and my first ride ever.
    Nothing wrong with making a low offer at all as long as it is reasonable. What you don't want to do is make a low ball stupid offer as that will just insult the person in a private party sale. I get low ball stupid offers all the time in sales but I don't let it insult me because I don't have a personal connection to the product. In a private party sale sometimes people can be very attached to the object which is why you sometimes see truly ridiculous asking prices.

There is also nothing wrong with asking for all the money when you know you have the right product in the right situation. I did that twice last week with new cars that would normally sell between 3,000 and 5,000 dollars off as I felt the unique situations of each sale would let me get a higher price. In both situations I gave the gentleman prices that would usually be too high but because of the unique situations I thought I could get more.

The first customer counter offered with a price about a 1,000 dollars less then my original offer which I accepted. Total discount on that vehicle was about 2,000 dollars or 3,000 dollars less then normal.

The second customer wouldn't give me a specific counter offer so I just offered up an additional 500 dollars off and he accepted. Sometimes people just want to feel like they won. The additional 500 dollars brought the total discount to about 1,000 dollars or about 2,000 dollars less then normal.
    Blog now updated with more facts and graphs. Snarkiness included for no additional charge.
    The Volvo V60 is coming to the US of A

Second book is out "The Knight's Ill Thought Bargain" at amazon for Kinde or paperback.

and at Barnes and Noble for Nook.

Don't know what it is? Go watch the trailer.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys, but I was just about to head over there and the guy suddenly calls me up to say that he sold it. I was really looking forward to owning that bike, too.

Comment

Wsup guys. I have become interested in motorcycles for the past year. The fact of gas prices, parking problems have made my small interested in bikes into a real consideration in buying one. I've always liked them and wanted to get one, but now I have a reason to get one.

I've been looking at the bikes and I have realized that I lean more to Harley style bikes instead of the japanese rice rockets.

Bikes that kinda look like this one

and this one
        and this one
        are what I hope I can eventually get to riding later on. But I know I have to start somewhere. Now I was hoping you guys would give me advice and tips on what kind of bikes to start off on so I can get used to riding these types of bikes so I can eventually start riding those.

Comment

There really is only one choice for those beginners intending to ride cruisers, isn't there?

Honda Rebel 250:

Comment

^ I wonder what that would look like lowered with a bobbed fender.

And you could always go for the MRC-special Suzuki Eliminator 125 - a.k.a. what I learned to ride on:

Comment

The 125 isn't powerful enough to go on a freeway...

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
                The 125 isn't powerful enough to go on a freeway...
                I was more being sarcastic anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JuggernautRM View Post
                  I've been looking at the bikes and I have realized that I lean more to Harley style bikes instead of the japanese rice rockets.
                  Well if you can swing the costs, go for a Harley. But prices for those bikes and related parts (both factory and aftermarket) seem to be pretty inflated. I've wanted an old Harley, chopped up into some kind of street-fighter/cafe-racer thing, for a long time now but the cost is prohibitive. Now I just want to get my hands on a '70s Honda or Yamaha and build something crazy like this ...

But I'll probably just wind up fixing my Yamaha; getting 40mpg (instead of 16) would be nice right about now.
                  Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360

Comment

I started on a 1986 Honda Shadow 500 - but then again, I'm Sasquatch.

No trees were killed in the transmission of this message;
                    but a stupendous number of photons and electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Blind_Io View Post
                      I started on a 1986 Honda Shadow 500 - but then again, I'm Sasquatch.

I am 6'2" and rode a Honda Strada for 8 months

before upgrading to a Suzuki GSXF750.
                      I felt like this sometimes:
                      Last edited by Redliner; June 3rd, 2008, 3:04 PM.
                      ?
                      "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Im about 6' tall and around 210 pounds. So anything really small might not be comfortable for me.

Comment

DEAR GOD PEOPLE...

I just went on the back of an R1 with it's reigns free and i think i'm a changed man

THE ACCELERATION... MY GOD THE ACCELERATION.. I blinked, looked down and all of a sudden we're doing 130mph.. When he lined us up down a massive straight road, set of the bomb in his right wrist.. My expression in my helmet was just '' constantly.. I couldn't believe how fast this thing could get to such speeds..

I don't know how i'm gonna get on my 125 in the morning
                          "...If your patient is not making any respiratory effort and has no palpable pulse, however, is Alert on the AVPU scale. You can assume Zombie Apocalypse has occurred. Please turn to page 23 of your JRCALC..."

"But Jesus I counted three sets of footprints." Jesus' eyes narrowed as he drew his pistol. "Son of a bitch found us."
                          IV - VIII - XV - XVI - XXIII - XLII
                          ???s ??? ?? ?
                          My Flickr Account

Comment

welcome to the world of crotch rockets, there is nothing quite like it!

Sell the civic and upgrade your bike as soon as you hit 21!
                            My 1988 Lancia Delta HF Turbo
                            My 1991 Volvo 960 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by avanti View Post
                              welcome to the world of crotch rockets, there is nothing quite like it!

Sell the civic and upgrade your bike as soon as you hit 21!
                              Sweet fuck hell fire I am..
                              "...If your patient is not making any respiratory effort and has no palpable pulse, however, is Alert on the AVPU scale. You can assume Zombie Apocalypse has occurred. Please turn to page 23 of your JRCALC..."

"But Jesus I counted three sets of footprints." Jesus' eyes narrowed as he drew his pistol. "Son of a bitch found us."
                              ???s ??? ?? ?
                              My Flickr Account

Comment

^^ Good boy, I do recommend the Suzuki GSX-R750, the best of both worlds!
                                My 1988 Lancia Delta HF Turbo
                                My 1991 Volvo 960 Turbo

Comment

I've got my heart set on a CBR600 to be honest.. I love the look and the sound of the thing..

???s ??? ?? ?
                                  My Flickr Account

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                    DEAR GOD PEOPLE...

I just went on the back of an R1 with it's reigns free and i think i'm a changed man

THE ACCELERATION... MY GOD THE ACCELERATION..
                                    Welcome to our world.. There's no turning back!

Comment

If you want a ludicrously fast Honda, try the RC51, CBR1000RR, or the CBR1100XX.

Originally posted by avanti View Post
                                      ^^ Good boy, I do recommend the Suzuki GSX-R750, the best of both worlds!
                                      What, the world of going stupendously fast and the world of bikes that are totally unforgiving and tend to get their riders killed?

Comment

Last edited by Peter3hg; June 3rd, 2008, 10:31 PM.

Comment

For big guys looking for a 250cc or low power bike I can recommend a Honda Hornet 250. It uses the same frame as the 600 and 900 so its a relatively big bike. It handles well, has a comfortable riding position, looks good and uses the same engine as the CBR250 which is a real screamer.

Comment

Working...
                                          X