The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Blablabla

TL:DR Supermoto's are they
a. good first bike
b. cheap on gas
c. cheap on other things like tires and whatnot...

a. They are excellent first bikes!
b. Depends on what bike and how you ride it.
c. Again. Depends on the bike and how you ride it.

I'd say that a Japanese SM would be good for you they are relieable with a little less power than their European cousins and don't buy a bike smaller than 450cc 4-stroke. But if you want a European bike i'd say that a KTM SM 640 would be your best choice. Not to powerful and with a 500 hour service interval

I have a Husaberg Fe 450 that i usually put a S/M kit on.. :wink:
That bike is not cheap or reliable or legal at all, but brilliant to ride!!

I bought a replacement helmet yesterday, a Shoei RF-1000 in white.

RF-1000-WHITE.jpg

Just call me Stiggy.

Hmhh tall american stig who enjoys firearms?

a. They are excellent first bikes!
b. Depends on what bike and how you ride it.
c. Again. Depends on the bike and how you ride it.

I'd say that a Japanese SM would be good for you they are relieable with a little less power than their European cousins and don't buy a bike smaller than 450cc 4-stroke. But if you want a European bike i'd say that a KTM SM 640 would be your best choice. Not to powerful and with a 500 hour service interval

I have a Husaberg Fe 450 that i usually put a S/M kit on.. :wink:
That bike is not cheap or reliable or legal at all, but brilliant to ride!!

hmmm i have a friend who is looking to get rid of a 250cc 2 stroke honda that i was originally thinking about using... but you say 4 stroke would be better... i will have to look into it

^2-strokers aren't road legal here.. However they might be a bit cheaper to own , But they usually consumes more fuel. And i prefer 4-stroke, but that's just me.. :)

Holy cow! Tires make a big difference on a motorcycle. The shop was out of Bridgestone Spitfires like I had on the rear and since I didn't feel like waiting for one to come in I bought a Dunlop. The bike seems a lot more nimble now. I can't wait until they're fully broken in so I can really test them out.

I bought a replacement helmet yesterday, a Shoei RF-1000 in white.

RF-1000-WHITE.jpg

Just call me Stiggy.
Good choice on the white helmet. Since I've been using mine it seems people notice me sooner than with my old dark red hat. I like the look too. :stig:

^^Try Michelin pilot or Metzeler whatever they are called! Those are the best tires.

Woohoo, went and put a deposit down on my new bike this morning. It's the previously mentioned Fazer. Just need to sort out the insurance next week so I'll hopefully be able to pick it up in about 2 weeks.
This is the best pic I have.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/06/07/untitled.bmp

Oftentimes when your motorcycle suddenly feels super nimble after a tyre change is because the new tyre still has a perfect round shape while older used tyres often have flattened out from too much straightline driving.
When you had the feeling that your bike had the tendency to suddenly roll too much after a few degrees of lean angle than you had a flat spot.

The old tire was a bit flat in the middle but this new one seems narrower so that might be helping things too. I need to find some good twistys to keep the tire wear even. :cool:

Congrats on the Fazer Pete!

So... here's the discussion question of the day.

When riding, do you prefer to wear high-visibility gear or low-visibility gear? I.E., do you prefer riding around in white, blaze orange, bright red, that sort of thing? Or do you ride stealthed out in black with reflective areas, if any, covered?

I have my own answer, but I'll post it later. :D

When i ride my GSR600 or husaberg 450 i'm pretty colorfull, But when it's gixxertime it's all black!!

My last jacket was black (because that's all I could get for my money at the time), but my new one has a couple bright orange and white stripes around the chest. I have always gone for light colored helmets, but I found the metallic silver I like just looks gray at night so this time I went with plain white. I will probably put an orange stripe on it at some point, maybe in a reflective paint or with a decal.

I may get one of these too:

Default.jpg
Default.jpg

I know a guy with one and they don't look bad, more like a really nice industrial work vest. Plus, they have lots of extra pockets.

If people are saying "Holy crap, look at that guy! He looks like he escaped from a Men At Work video!" then they notice me, and that's what I'm going for.

I'm in the same boat as Blind in that the gear in my price range (and size) is mostly black. I've noticed my white helmet helps people see me better.

While on the subject of making yourself safer, I always have a chuckle when I pass one of these signs:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/06/09/WHYB.jpg