The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Don't do it! For one thing I'm in Fremont tonight and I want it!

- - - Updated - - -

I heard the FZ1 can get out of the Literbike tax because of it not being registered as a sportbike. Either way any adult insurance if has taken the msf is not that bad. If thats the case, go for the FZ6 then. The older FZ6 is way better looking with the undertail exhaust than the new FZ6 model.

https://youtu.be/ks072waMayk

Not embedded because I'm on mobile for the next few days.

For lane sharing and general getting around I would get a 650-800cc bike. I'm a big guy and I love my ST1300, but it would be a beast to lane split with. Today I tried to let an R1200 share past me and I needed to be half on the shoulder for him to fit by. Bigger is not always better.

Lane splitting in the bay would suck on a bike bike. Ducati monster rocks at lane splitting action.

How much time have you spent splitting in the Bay Area? Because I lived here for years and split with various motorcycles in that time, I think I know what I'm talking about.

You're out of your element again, Manos.

Last edited:
How much time have you spent splitting in the Bay Area? Because I lived here for years and split with various motorcycles in that time, I think I know what I'm talking about.

You're out of your element again, Manos.

I lane split in LA on the daily for almost 2-3 hours. I have also spent 2 weeks the past few months riding a Ninja 300 and a Zuma 125 in SF.... I know a thing or 2 about lane splitting ergonomics.

I believe you sir are out of your element.

Last edited:
What about one of these? Or is it too Italian?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/4991807328.html

This might be another good option if the insurance isn't too steep...
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4974690801.html

The Monster is a bit on the Italian side. The Bandit 12s doesn't get whacked with the literbike tax unless you're under 25. However, it's not all that 'friendly' and for a number of years it was the hardest accelerating bike in the US, taking the title away from the VMax. Throttle can be difficult to modulate.

:popcorn:

I lane split in LA on the daily for almost 2-3 hours. I have also spent 2 weeks the past few months riding a Ninja 300 and a Zuma 125 in SF.... I know a thing or 2 about lane splitting ergonomics.

I believe you sir are out of your element.

Ummm... It's not the ergonomics so much as the overall width of the bike. The Monster has some surprisingly wide bars.

:rofl:

The Moto Gutsy is great for lane splitting. I do it every day.

Though the stock mirrors do get in the way sometimes, probably because they're mounted on friggin' telephone poles and practically designed for long-haul truckers.

Even with my big-ass CBF with lengthened mirror mounts, I regularly lane-split on this road (light traffic on the pictures not representative... otherwise there would be no need to do lane-splitting ;) ).

Even with my big-ass CBF with lengthened mirror mounts, I regularly lane-split on this road (light traffic on the pictures not representative... otherwise there would be no need to do lane-splitting ;) ).

Hey, there's a KFC there!

So lane-splitting is thoroughly legal in Germany then? In America it's only legal in California?but, more importantly, it's the only place where its drivers are used to it. In fact, there's a video of some goons lane-splitting in Georgia at a billion miles an hour, before they slam into the back of some poor Honda.

(So, chalk that half up to motorist inexperience, and half to reckless riding. By the way, the "Georgia Lane-Split" sounds like a dance you'd do with Mary Lou in a barn somewhere before you lose your spooning virginity.)

So lane-splitting is thoroughly legal in Germany then?
No, I didn't say that. It's mostly tolerated if done at very slow speeds when the car are standing or at least almost standing.

Last edited:
Hey, there's a KFC there!

So lane-splitting is thoroughly legal in Germany then? In America it's only legal in California?but, more importantly, it's the only place where its drivers are used to it. In fact, there's a video of some goons lane-splitting in Georgia at a billion miles an hour, before they slam into the back of some poor Honda.

(So, chalk that half up to motorist inexperience, and half to reckless riding. By the way, the "Georgia Lane-Split" sounds like a dance you'd do with Mary Lou in a barn somewhere before you lose your spooning virginity.)

This type of lane splitting isn't allowed anywhere as far as I know. The rules and regulations differ from place to place, but for the most part you may assume that if it's allowed (or condoned) it is to be done with caution, in slow moving traffic or when traffic is at a standstill and with a low speed difference between yourself and other traffic. In Belgium fi the law says we can lane-split between the 2 outer most lanes, moving no faster than 50km/h and no greater speed difference than 20km/h.