The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

According to the MSF website, there is only one BRC option within 100 miles of Santa Clara, CA, and their website doesn't work. I know for a fact there are (or at least were) other options, so how does one go about finding them?

Edit: Turns out it's actually CMSP in California, and there's one in the Hayward area. Hooray!~

Last edited:
What bike are you getting this time? :D

Is there still the one in Alameda? That's where I took my class, but that was almost a decade ago. :)

Is there still the one in Alameda? That's where I took my class, but that was almost a decade ago. :)

Maybe, but Hayward is a lot closer to me.

Oh, how silly of me, what bikes are you looking at? :lol:

Yeah, I did that the other way around before and it didn't work out particularly well. :D

If I follow through this time, I'll probably just find me a Ninjerp 500R/EX500, like "everyone else". There seems to be a reasonable supply of $1500?2500 examples around here, but given my previous attempt, I'll shop when I have the license and gear to back it up. :lol:

Do you live where it rains, do you ever intend to ride in the rain and do you enjoy having your crotch soaked with cold water?

Thoughts on the KTM Duke 390?

Do you live where it rains, do you ever intend to ride in the rain and do you enjoy having your crotch soaked with cold water?

Sorta', probably, and no.

I guess that's a vote against, then. :lol:

Indian piece of crap was what I was told when I asked about it here.

What a shame. I really liked the visuals, but after further research, I guess I would rather have a Yamaha MT-03 or a Kawasaki Z300.
KTM doesn't even have a dealership here so, NOPE.

What does the FG motorbike hivemind think of the Aerostitch Roadcrafter, R-3, and R3 Light one-piece suits?

http://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-piece-suits

I have a 10 year old one I picked up off eBay for under $500. It's great, except:

This is definitely true. The R3 supposedly no longer has this problem due to the redesigned zipper, but I've still read about people having issues. So, I got a Klim Badlands suit.

I still have the Roadcrafter and love it for commuting, but if there's over a 20% chance of rain, I either drive or wear the Badlands.

Oooh, Klim gear. :drool:

Speaking of new gear, I need boots and gloves this year. So many new products to try!

This is definitely true. The R3 supposedly no longer has this problem due to the redesigned zipper, but I've still read about people having issues.

I've been watching the Aerostitch stuff for years - since the 90s - and basically every time they come out with a new one, they claim they fixed the waterproofing problem of the old design and that the new one won't net you a wet crotch in the rain. Then it turns out to be yet another lie and you end up with a wet crotch in the rain anyway. Every single time.

Yamaha are releasing an "Abarth" version of the XSR900.

I kinda like it, but 1300 extra ? over a regular one seems steep.

Then again, it comes with an Akrapovic exhaust.

2017_yam_xs850ab_eu_bns4_stu_001_03.jpg

2017_yam_xs850ab_eu_bns4_stu_005_03.jpg

So the consensus is that the Roadcrafter is fine in the dry? I wonder if that would make sense for me. It rained quite a bit here the last few months, but most of the year is still generally expected to be dry (and warm).

{pr0nz}

That looks pretty hot, I gotta' say. Annoying that the XSR700 and FJ-07 aren't sold stateside (the XSR900 and FJ-09 are).

Just don't order one new- they're not worth it, especially on a budget. There's plenty of folks who have good luck with them and never have to perform treatments to keep it waterproof. But, it's luck of the draw. They're still worth $5-600 all day long.

They have a great size calculator and there are plenty of size comparos on ADVRider, not to mention plenty for sale on the flea market.

Mods that I did: added hip armor pockets (you can get the same armor from Revzilla for half the price of what Aerostitch sells them for) and I removed the back protector to run my Forcefield Pro Sub-4.

Mine is 10 years old and still looks good (it's a second generation suit, IIRC). All the build info is listed in the little pocket on the left breast. Mine leaks the worst at the crotch. Sitting down with one zipper creates a pool and water leaks through. That's why I got the Badlands. If you're gonna spend $$$$ on all-weather gear, accept no substitute. The only things the Roadcrafter has on the Klim suit is ease of removal and better build quality since they are US made.

Last edited:

2017_yam_xs850ab_eu_bns4_stu_001_03.jpg

2017_yam_xs850ab_eu_bns4_stu_005_03.jpg

stop-my-penis-ezulzv.jpg

That looks REALLY good.
Sadly, the closest I get to that is the MT-09, which looks really nice, but not THAT nice.