The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

:-x Well, this is fucking great: I can't trip the work parking gate sensor on the bike, so the gate stays put.

There's no room to go around, and they're not exactly going to adjust the sensitivity for me. The parking manager let me in this morning, but I'll have to buzz the call center to let me out tonight. That doesn't sound like something I want to be doing every time.

So, I'm not exactly sure what to do. After this morning's ride to the office, I definitely want to try commuting on the bike, but this is a real problem.

Things I haven't tried yet:
? kickstand down in the right place
? bar magnet attached to the bottom of the bike
? saw off part of the gate #fuckit #yolo

:-x

Last edited:
:-x Well, this is fucking great: I can't trip the work parking gate sensor on the bike, so the gate stays put.

There's no room to go around, and they're not exactly going to adjust the sensitivity for me. The parking manager let me in this morning, but I'll have to buzz the call center to let me out tonight. That doesn't sound like something I want to be doing every time.

So, I'm not exactly sure what to do. After this morning's ride to the office, I definitely want to try commuting on the bike, but this is a real problem.

Things I haven't tried yet:
? kickstand down in the right place
? bar magnet attached to the bottom of the bike
? saw off part of the gate #fuckit #yolo

:-x

There are already commercial devices for this, better than crudely strapping a dubious magnet to your bike. However, your better solution is to get the parking manager to have the gate adjusted so it *will* pass your motorcycle. The sensitivity is adjustable.

https://www.superstreetbike.com/dro...g-magnet-trips-green-light-mythbusters#page-2

I have a Greenlight Trigger HP on each of my bikes, but I think the company went out of business.

Last edited:
your better solution is to get the parking manager to have the gate adjusted so it *will* pass your motorcycle. The sensitivity is adjustable.

If you open up a dictionary and look up "not happening", this is the example given. Huge parking company, they DGAflyingF about my parking woes. :lol:

Anyway, I'll try the kickstand tonight and see if that helps. After that, maybe the magnet thing. Or maybe I'll just buzz the call center and rev it to the moon every fucking time. :lol:

I like to make it someone else's problem. Call the parking manager Every. Single. Time. He will get sick of it and solve the problem for his own well being.

I like to make it someone else's problem. Call the parking manager Every. Single. Time. He will get sick of it and solve the problem for his own well being.

This - it's an excellent plan. I suggest you inform the parking manager that you are sitting blocking traffic until the gate opens as well.

This - it's an excellent plan. I suggest you inform the parking manager that you are sitting blocking traffic until the gate opens as well.

Except I'm here before she gets in, and leave after she does. And it's not worth my time and reputation to be a dickhead. There are probably more peaceful and cooperative ways of accomplishing this. :)

There was a small burnout mark on the curb next to my old apartment complex's gate. I rode up there and used the pedestrian gate :p

I wish I could cheat like that.

The WeWork building where I work is weird: cars have an entrance and exit, both gated, with a divider between the two. Pedestrians can only enter through the lobby and take elevators up (which are too small for the bike, before anyone asks), and can then exit down the stairs as well. But there's no way to walk into the parking building without either hopping over the divider where the cars go, taking the elevator, or taking the stairs once you're already in the building.

Ride your motorcycle through the lobby and into an elevator.

Sorted it out: I need to turn my wheel to get it nearly perpendicular to the lane direction and the entry sensor detects me fine. I can still reach the terminal to swipe my card as well, so it should be OK. Exit is even easier?that one has no problem detecting me if I just line up the wheel with the parallel wires. Tested both directions a few times and feel like it's pretty reliable at this point, so I'm all set.

Last edited:
Nice - glad you figured out the trick.

Did someone mention motos in the office? :D

An oldie but a goodie:
V0Bnlpb.jpg

I work on the first floor, but I think it would be a challenge to the the ST1300 into the office; maybe the VFR...

Somehow I doubt my boss will find that amusing.

Last edited:
Did you allow the Termignonis to sing in the office...?

Hah, I was tempted considering we did have a vent hood in the lab... but alas, I didn't turn it on.

However, I did park the bike in front the manager's office and texted him that it blew as much hot air as he did. :p

I don't think my school would be too pleased with me bringing the vfr into my lab. I would probably get kicked out to be honest.