The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Try switching to an art program, they should appreciate it.

Or mechanical engineering.

So much for the glue mount working:

SHo2Rbi.jpg

The camera fell off somewhere on the freeway, so I guess it's time to order a new one (and use the clamp mount this time).

Let's talk gloves!

I have a pair of Oxford RP-1s that fit me well enough, and I wear my AGV Sport Breeze jacket over them. The gauntlet armor in the gloves is quite thick, so with the jacket over them I'm definitely cutting off some blood flow to my hands, which isn't ideal. It's also getting a bit chilly here, with mornings and nights in the high 40, so all the perforation is letting a lot of wind come in.

So, I'm thinking about getting another pair. I don't really want to give up the full gauntlet if I don't have to, so I'm wondering if I can just find something with slimmer gauntlet armor, and possibly a bit warmer. Perhaps something like Held Race-Tex Gore-Tex.

Obviously I need to try things on in person, but recommendations are welcome.

Generally the gauntlet part is supposed to go over the jacket cuffs, not under.

Hmm, I haven't tried new gloves/other brands for a while, but I do love my Racers. A lot of folks here also like Knox. Blind likes his different sets of Dainese gloves.

If you go with the kangaroo leather, there's like zero break-in period. (This was the case with the ol' Racer High Ends - though the inherent curving helped too.) I also like the fact that my fourth and pinky digits are stitched together. Lastly, make sure the palms have armor. I'm sure there are other new design features these days, but those are my key criteria for gloves.

In terms of weather, I run two sets of gloves. I have a winter set and my warm season ones with vents. It's nice to change in and out of 'em. We've tried glove liners before, but I would recommend having a separate set.

Racer High Ends will be my next sporty glove most likely. Knox brought back my favorite Biomechs, but no longer with kangaroo leather. I have the Held Race Tex and they are nice, but they soaked through on my way to RingMeet. That was probably due to stopping and letting water run down into them. I know CJ likes his Klim Goretex gloves as well. I run cheapie heated Cycle Gear gloves and have been pleased with them, although they are light on protection.

First, the jacket sleeve tucks into the gauntlet, otherwise all the wind, dirt, bugs, etc goes up your sleeves and into your armpits. Try explaining to your date why you have wasp bits stuck in your armpits hair.

As for gloves, my last pair were Racer High Ends and they were fantastic. They are a summer glove but with a thin glove liner would work for chilly mornings. When those wore out I found some Dianese gloves on sale and decided to try them since they were cheaper than the Racers (normal price was about the same). The Dianese took a little longer to break in than the Racers, but they have been great gloves. I also like their system that protects your fifth finger without stitching it to your ring finger.

I picked up some water proof and insulated Dianese gloves (also on sale) so I have two pair for the price of one set of Racers. I don't use them very often, since I'm a fair weather rider, but they do much better in the cold or wet than my vented pair.

In terms of brand, I recommend the higher end Dianese and Racer from personal experience. Held also makes a very good glove, but I've never owned any.

I tried pulling gauntlet over the jacket with little success before.

Here's how it looks the way I do it:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/fUAakId.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Lots of slack, the cuff is kinda' wide:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/b5x0rwj.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Pulling the gauntlet over the jacket gets me this weird bunched up result, and the glove feels like it wants to fly off my hand:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/MOFQasN.jpg"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/XW2SQCC.jpg"}[/IMG2]

It's actually a bit better this time then when I first tried it. I'll give it a shot the next time I ride.

Last edited:
Glad you weren't seriously hurt, but...

First thing I noticed in video: Turning too wide, body position too upright, need to hang off more.
Second thing I noticed in video: Nice non-working speedometer there. You need to fix that before you have this happen again - because without it people are a terrible judge of speed. This is usually just a matter of about 20 minutes and some loctite, maybe a new $30 cable.
Third thing: This is why when riding in groups, you ride staggered when close up.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/motorcycle-central.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/10\/Motorcycle-Group-Riding-Stagger-Formation.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Not only was your formation in single file, the two bikes ahead of you were both initially on the wrong side of the lane.
Fourth thing: You were going too fast for conditions in an attempt to catch up to the other riders, often a recipe for disaster.
Fifth thing: Your two companion riders are chuckleheads that need to learn how to properly ride in groups or keep significant separation to allow riding as individuals in convoy. Or don't ride in direct convoy and let each rider proceed at their own pace to a set of checkpoints (safest!). Most professionals recommend that newbies not group ride for at least their first six months to a year, just because of this.
Sixth thing: Did you even let off the front brake once you'd locked the front wheel?

Other notes: This is what crash bungs are for. You should get some.

Yes, we were all newbies once and this is a bunch of classic newbie mistakes leading to the classic "newbie crashes in first six months of riding." The trick is to avoid repeating these errors as long as possible.

Last edited:
Also, stay out of the middle of the lane, especially when approaching an intersection. You want to stay in the tire tracks because the cars in front of you will remove most of the debris/fluids that tend to accumulate on the road.

Crazyjeeper;n3543360 said:
Also, stay out of the middle of the lane, especially when approaching an intersection. You want to stay in the tire tracks because the cars in front of you will remove most of the debris/fluids that tend to accumulate on the road.

Yup. And the shinier/more reflective the road, generally the more slick it really is and the less traction you have for braking - ride and adjust space cushion accordingly.

Cellos88GT;n3543361 said:
2nd street tunnel?

If you're talking about the one in LA... that thing's sometimes wet even when it hasn't rained recently due to drainage/ground water/etc.. I remember riding through it in the 90s most unfondly - use-polished asphalt plus the moisture leaking from the tunnel overburden, ugh.

Why? He's already used up all his luck.