The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.redd.it\/ul64cow77dq01.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Reactions: TC
Well I decided to take on changing the chain and sprockets on my bike. What a pain in the ass, not because the job is hard but all of the old chain lube gunk and road grime that is everywhere. I also didn't have the 46mm socket for the rear wheel hub, fortunately I found a friend that had one to loan me. The old sprockets were actually in decent condition but the rear sprocket was installed incorrectly which was a bit unnerving (it was installed such that the bolts went through the larger holes rather than the proper diameter holes). I also don't think the PO had the nut for the rear hub torqued down correctly...

Kerosene in a generic hardware store spray bottle is the best chain degreaser you can get - and it's cheap.

Blind_Io;n3548523 said:
Kerosene in a generic hardware store spray bottle is the best chain degreaser you can get - and it's cheap.

Yeah, I was using a combination of Mineral Spirits, GUNK engine degreaser, and brake cleaner. It was nice to finally get it all done. Next maintenance item is a brake/clutch fluid change.

Oooh, doing brake fluids on linked brakes.... have fun bleeding those suckers out!

That's why you shouldn't drain the system, but rather push the old fluid out with fresh stuff. :p

DaHitch;n3548561 said:
That's why you shouldn't drain the system, but rather push the old fluid out with fresh stuff. :p

That is less of a pain, but still a pain compared to unlinked systems.

Cellos88GT;n3548522 said:
Well I decided to take on changing the chain and sprockets on my bike. What a pain in the ass, not because the job is hard but all of the old chain lube gunk and road grime that is everywhere. I also didn't have the 46mm socket for the rear wheel hub, fortunately I found a friend that had one to loan me. The old sprockets were actually in decent condition but the rear sprocket was installed incorrectly which was a bit unnerving (it was installed such that the bolts went through the larger holes rather than the proper diameter holes). I also don't think the PO had the nut for the rear hub torqued down correctly...

That's why I prefer the laziness of a shaft drive.

Cue Spectre posting a picture of a BMW drive shaft catching on fire...

Hear hear! Considering the fact that I was doing chain maintenance around midnight last night, I will admit to eyeing my stablemate, the ST1300, with envy.

Since I was working in limited light conditions, my face resembled that of my avatar with grime by the end of the night. :lol:

Kiki;n3549760 said:
Hear hear! Considering the fact that I was doing chain maintenance around midnight last night, I will admit to eyeing my stablemate, the ST1300, with envy.

Since I was working in limited light conditions, my face resembled that of my avatar with grime by the end of the night. :lol:

Oi! Don't get handsy with Stella.

:lmao: :roflmao:

Poor Kiki, did you ever know thee other woman was going to be a motorcycle?

It is a running joke at home that my "mistress" is either Stella (ST1300), Vicky (VFR800), or Alexis (Xterra). I'm sure we've turned some heads talking about my time spent "riding the mistress" at dinner. It's alright, Kiki has Dante (Taurus) and Marco (696).

Blind_Io;n3549864 said:
It is a running joke at home that my "mistress" is either Stella (ST1300), Vicky (VFR800), or Alexis (Xterra). I'm sure we've turned some heads talking about my time spent "riding the mistress" at dinner. It's alright, Kiki has Dante (Taurus) and Marco (696).

It's Utah, no one cares... :p

If they were my "second and third wives" no one would care, "mistress" is another story.

Blind_Io;n3549919 said:
If they were my "second and third wives" no one would care, "mistress" is another story.

Unless you started to refer to them as your harem.

:lol:

GRtak;n3549858 said:
:lmao: :roflmao:

Poor Kiki, did you ever know thee other woman was going to be a motorcycle?

Nah, totally expected. It's okay though - I get more benefits from the mistresses than Blind gets from the steeds in the garage. *cough*

Oh, I'm happy to report that the Metzeler Roadtec 01s are my new favorite everyday tires. We've put matching sets on the VFR, and they were amazeballs during the Colorado trip with DS and CJ. On the Monster, I'm still running a Bridgestone T30 on the rear, but I replaced the front with the Metzeler already... just counting down the days when I can replace the rear.

Kiki;n3549939 said:
:lol:

Nah, totally expected. It's okay though - I get more benefits from the mistresses than Blind gets from the steeds in the garage. *cough*

I want to go meet Kiki and Blind more than ever now. :tease: :p