The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

GRtak;n3549948 said:
I want to go meet Kiki and Blind more than ever now. :tease: :p

They’re fun :D

GRtak;n3549948 said:
I want to go meet Kiki and Blind more than ever now. :tease: :p

We've hosted several FG members at our home, if you are ever in the Salt Lake area just say the word.

Very cool. If I ever get to that part of the USA, I will drop you a line.

Der Stig;n3549952 said:
They’re fun :D

D'aww! :blush:

GRtak;n3549958 said:
Very cool. If I ever get to that part of the USA, I will drop you a line.

Please do! ;)

DanRoM;n3549945 said:
That can be sped up.... :D

Right? The BT-023/T30s were long lasting, but they sure have a hard ride (they're holding up pretty well with the heavier bikes though). I'll be excited to see how the bike feels with a matched set. ;)

We've actually been playing with suspension this year. I had to get the forks redone, so after my complaints that the stock forks felt like pogo sticks (yes, I'm mechanically disinclined!), our local shop put some heavier weight oil as a first test. If that doesn't fix the problem, then it's deep research into fork innards. I mean, c'mon, aren't forks made from pixie dust? (Same goes for differentials.)

Speaking of how long tyres last, my first set lasted 18,000 km... :D
The one after that has now about 7,000 km on them, but is already 4 years old...

Blind_Io;n3549919 said:
If they were my "second and third wives" no one would care, "mistress" is another story.

Hahahaha

DanRoM;n3549964 said:
Speaking of how long tyres last, my first set lasted 18,000 km... :D
The one after that has now about 7,000 km on them, but is already 4 years old...

Damn! :jealous:

We had a blast doing some training on Saturday! The local racing organization teaches an advanced rider's training which consists of classroom, parking lot drills, and track instruction. It was fan-fucking-tastic - it's so much nicer than a regular track day because you're out there with a bunch of the instructors, who work with you individually on developing your skills and helping you with lines etc. Both Blind and I learned a bunch, and suffice to say, everyone made it through the entire day sore but sunny side up.

So... come Monday morning, I'm all excited during my commute into work and put in place some new tricks I learned etc. I'm cruising on the freeway, when all of sudden, I hit a violent tank slapper at 80mph. WTF? I look down and my front end is totally fine, and I'm not on a concrete seam or anything. As I accelerate out of tank slapper, I finally look back and see that my tail bag's hanging off to my left connected by a few teeth on the zipper (I have a tail bag that's connected to the back seat via a zipper). Thankfully, I managed to grab the bag before it falls onto the freeway and pull over to sort out the zipper issue. It turns out the zipper's just getting worn (it's seen a lotta' miles) and yes, I'll be changing the luggage system on the monster soon and retiring the old system.

+1 point to 'ze motorcycle gods - I see the humor in you letting me have a successful track day but scare the ever living shit outta' me on the stupid commute when I'm half awake as it is.

While your way works to wake up, I'm going to stick with coffee.

Kiki;n3550367 said:
We had a blast doing some training on Saturday! The local racing organization teaches an advanced rider's training which consists of classroom, parking lot drills, and track instruction. It was fan-fucking-tastic - it's so much nicer than a regular track day because you're out there with a bunch of the instructors, who work with you individually on developing your skills and helping you with lines etc. Both Blind and I learned a bunch, and suffice to say, everyone made it through the entire day sore but sunny side up.

So... come Monday morning, I'm all excited during my commute into work and put in place some new tricks I learned etc. I'm cruising on the freeway, when all of sudden, I hit a violent tank slapper at 80mph. WTF? I look down and my front end is totally fine, and I'm not on a concrete seam or anything. As I accelerate out of tank slapper, I finally look back and see that my tail bag's hanging off to my left connected by a few teeth on the zipper (I have a tail bag that's connected to the back seat via a zipper). Thankfully, I managed to grab the bag before it falls onto the freeway and pull over to sort out the zipper issue. It turns out the zipper's just getting worn (it's seen a lotta' miles) and yes, I'll be changing the luggage system on the monster soon and retiring the old system.

+1 point to 'ze motorcycle gods - I see the humor in you letting me have a successful track day but scare the ever living shit outta' me on the stupid commute when I'm half awake as it is.

Whew!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.redd.it\/upyo1t8ku0b11.png"}[/IMG2]

This year has seen a real buying frenzy from me, for the purposes of a) getting more civil clothing for casual riding and b) have all the necessary gear for roadtrip. It all began in March when I bought a pair of riding jeans. Then recently, I bought thin summer gear (trousers and jacket) for the roadtrip, and also communications gear (Sena stuff and a two-way radio). It culminated in getting some summer boots after leviathan cited the first weather forecasts for the roadtrip, and because I was at the shop anyway, I got a leather jacket, which completes my "civil" gear that started with the jeans. The summer boots are also way better than my other boots for that purpose.
I don't plan to calculate how much all that stuff has cost me...

Heh, I know the feeling.
When I walk into my usual motorcycle gear supply store they don't even ask for my name anymore when I buy something. And there's like 8 different clerks working there, they all know me by name. :blink:

That is a common problem around here...

i-wkLjJXC-X2.jpg

8 jackets, 5 pairs of pants, 4 pairs of boots, etc.

D:

aGRQpzb.jpg

Crap. Just as I get the whole bike back together again and one of the dash lights goes out. Well, if I have to pull it all apart, might as well upgrade to LEDs. Anyone have any recommendations on which LED replacement would be best for the instrument cluster? It takes a standard 194 style incandescent; most the LEDs I'm finding are billed as being crazy-bright, which is fine for a marker light or puddle light replacement - not so great for an instrument cluster.