The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GRtak View Post

I want to go meet Kiki and Blind more than ever now.
    They’re fun

Bikes:Honda VFR 800 Honda 919
    Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Cars: Lexus GX470 Jaguar XJR

Comment

I want to go meet Kiki and Blind more than ever now.
      We've hosted several FG members at our home, if you are ever in the Salt Lake area just say the word.

No trees were killed in the transmission of this message;
      but a stupendous number of photons and electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Very cool. If I ever get to that part of the USA, I will drop you a line.
        "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

We’ve gone from 'Hope and Change' to 'Hope and Change Your Story.' -Bill Maher

Comment

Originally posted by Der Stig View Post

They’re fun
          D'aww!

Very cool. If I ever get to that part of the USA, I will drop you a line.
          Please do!

Originally posted by DanRoM View Post
          That can be sped up....
          Right? The BT-023/T30s were long lasting, but they sure have a hard ride (they're holding up pretty well with the heavier bikes though). I'll be excited to see how the bike feels with a matched set.

We've actually been playing with suspension this year. I had to get the forks redone, so after my complaints that the stock forks felt like pogo sticks (yes, I'm mechanically disinclined!), our local shop put some heavier weight oil as a first test. If that doesn't fix the problem, then it's deep research into fork innards. I mean, c'mon, aren't forks made from pixie dust? (Same goes for differentials.)

Comment

Speaking of how long tyres last, my first set lasted 18,000 km...
            The one after that has now about 7,000 km on them, but is already 4 years old...

Comment

Originally posted by Blind_Io View Post
              If they were my "second and third wives" no one would care, "mistress" is another story.
              Hahahaha
              ?
              "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Originally posted by DanRoM View Post
                Speaking of how long tyres last, my first set lasted 18,000 km...
                The one after that has now about 7,000 km on them, but is already 4 years old...
                Damn! :jealous:

Comment

Got my route planned out for Yellowstone

Bikes:Honda VFR 800 Honda 919
                  Ducati Multistrada 1200S
                  Cars: Lexus GX470 Jaguar XJR

Comment

Yayyy!! Looks fantastic!!

Comment

We had a blast doing some training on Saturday! The local racing organization teaches an advanced rider's training which consists of classroom, parking lot drills, and track instruction. It was fan-fucking-tastic - it's so much nicer than a regular track day because you're out there with a bunch of the instructors, who work with you individually on developing your skills and helping you with lines etc. Both Blind and I learned a bunch, and suffice to say, everyone made it through the entire day sore but sunny side up.

So... come Monday morning, I'm all excited during my commute into work and put in place some new tricks I learned etc. I'm cruising on the freeway, when all of sudden, I hit a violent tank slapper at 80mph. WTF? I look down and my front end is totally fine, and I'm not on a concrete seam or anything. As I accelerate out of tank slapper, I finally look back and see that my tail bag's hanging off to my left connected by a few teeth on the zipper (I have a tail bag that's connected to the back seat via a zipper). Thankfully, I managed to grab the bag before it falls onto the freeway and pull over to sort out the zipper issue. It turns out the zipper's just getting worn (it's seen a lotta' miles) and yes, I'll be changing the luggage system on the monster soon and retiring the old system.

+1 point to 'ze motorcycle gods - I see the humor in you letting me have a successful track day but scare the ever living shit outta' me on the stupid commute when I'm half awake as it is.

Comment

While your way works to wake up, I'm going to stick with coffee.

Comment

Though both way helps with brown pants syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiki View Post
                            We had a blast doing some training on Saturday! The local racing organization teaches an advanced rider's training which consists of classroom, parking lot drills, and track instruction. It was fan-fucking-tastic - it's so much nicer than a regular track day because you're out there with a bunch of the instructors, who work with you individually on developing your skills and helping you with lines etc. Both Blind and I learned a bunch, and suffice to say, everyone made it through the entire day sore but sunny side up.

So... come Monday morning, I'm all excited during my commute into work and put in place some new tricks I learned etc. I'm cruising on the freeway, when all of sudden, I hit a violent tank slapper at 80mph. WTF? I look down and my front end is totally fine, and I'm not on a concrete seam or anything. As I accelerate out of tank slapper, I finally look back and see that my tail bag's hanging off to my left connected by a few teeth on the zipper (I have a tail bag that's connected to the back seat via a zipper). Thankfully, I managed to grab the bag before it falls onto the freeway and pull over to sort out the zipper issue. It turns out the zipper's just getting worn (it's seen a lotta' miles) and yes, I'll be changing the luggage system on the monster soon and retiring the old system.

+1 point to 'ze motorcycle gods - I see the humor in you letting me have a successful track day but scare the ever living shit outta' me on the stupid commute when I'm half awake as it is.
                            Whew!
                            ?
                            "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?

Comment

Flickr

Comment

This year has seen a real buying frenzy from me, for the purposes of a) getting more civil clothing for casual riding and b) have all the necessary gear for roadtrip. It all began in March when I bought a pair of riding jeans. Then recently, I bought thin summer gear (trousers and jacket) for the roadtrip, and also communications gear (Sena stuff and a two-way radio). It culminated in getting some summer boots after leviathan cited the first weather forecasts for the roadtrip, and because I was at the shop anyway, I got a leather jacket, which completes my "civil" gear that started with the jeans. The summer boots are also way better than my other boots for that purpose.
                                  I don't plan to calculate how much all that stuff has cost me...

Comment

Heh, I know the feeling.
                                    When I walk into my usual motorcycle gear supply store they don't even ask for my name anymore when I buy something. And there's like 8 different clerks working there, they all know me by name.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                                    I reject your reality and substitute my own!
                                    Why is Denis Leary a star while Bill Hicks is unknown? Because there's no cure for cancer.
                                    Racing is the only real sport. Everything else is just a game.
                                    In engineering terms, you really cant have "brilliant, apart from ..." I mean, the Titanic was brilliant, apart from its crappy rudder

Comment

That is a common problem around here...

8 jackets, 5 pairs of pants, 4 pairs of boots, etc.

The sky has been falling for decades.

Comment

D:

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                                        I reject your reality and substitute my own!
                                        Why is Denis Leary a star while Bill Hicks is unknown? Because there's no cure for cancer.
                                        Racing is the only real sport. Everything else is just a game.
                                        In engineering terms, you really cant have "brilliant, apart from ..." I mean, the Titanic was brilliant, apart from its crappy rudder

Comment

Crap. Just as I get the whole bike back together again and one of the dash lights goes out. Well, if I have to pull it all apart, might as well upgrade to LEDs. Anyone have any recommendations on which LED replacement would be best for the instrument cluster? It takes a standard 194 style incandescent; most the LEDs I'm finding are billed as being crazy-bright, which is fine for a marker light or puddle light replacement - not so great for an instrument cluster.

Comment

Working...
                                          X