The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Going to work this moning...running a bit late so I was doing 80kmh/50mph when all of a sudden a bee or something flies in through my open visor. It didn't die, the damn thing stung me twice. :D

Once I sell the CB550F (hopefully before August so I won't have to reregister it) I'm seriously considering buying a CB1100.

RideApart loved it. It's a pricey proposition, but I have a feeling it'll be a rare bike in America - I see Bonnevilles every day, here on the Westside of LA - whose value can only stay steady, if not go up after the production run.

Thoughts?

Honda-CB1100-1-770x433.jpg

Which year is it ?

EDIT: 2000 ZX-6

970126_500341593379864_797261340_n.jpg

Last edited:
Canyon Dancers fucking suck. I now need new grips and the 696's left co from cluster is loose and the right signal won't turn on.

A friend of mine is selling an FZR400. Should I go for it? And how much should I offer? It's the paint scheme shown below.

FZR400R.jpg

7f5.gif

Aren't you trying to get a CB1100?

I absolutely love those crazy 400?s that rev to a bazillion rpm...That one looks good to, no idea if it?s any good.

Been changing my mind like crazy. I think that for all intents and purposes, I'll end up with this:

2013-Honda-CBR500R-White-Blue-Red.jpg

I'm not a plastic bike guy, but that retro-ish Honda red white and blue scheme looks killer. Plus, it's only $6k! And new! And FI! And handles well!

Or, I might just get a KTM 390 Duke. Or a Triumph Scrambler. Or a Moto Guzzi V7 Special.

"On my tombstone they will carve, 'IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME.'"

Last edited:
I saw the new CBR250R in that retro scheme, and it really looks fantastic. Also, the nekkid CBF500 of that CBR500R variant is pretty sexy too.

Unrelatedly, part of me is really intrigued by the Grom: http://powersports.honda.com/2014/grom.aspx

I'm so glad that there's a lot of midsize brand new bikes out there now. Finally!! :)

I scour craigslist almost daily even though I'm not buying for a while; I do it just to gauge what bikes around here commonly go for. I've noticed disheartening trends:

1] The bike is ridiculous and expensive for a beginner (literbikes, huuuge Harleys, the occasional classic).

2] The bike is ten years old, high miles, and resisted depreciation, putting it right around the price of some modern new beginner bikes.

3] It's a dirtbike and not street legal (this is the most common thing that happens).

4] The bike:
a] is in pieces.
b] doesn't run.
c] has no title.

It's a waiting game I'm all too familiar with. I'd also suggest surfing local/area riding forums and posting a want ad. That's how Spectre helped me get my last bike. I got a $100 motorcycle out of it with a title...granted it went on fire and I threw about $800 at it at the end of the day...but hey, this $100 motorbike that I got to learn the mechanics of so I can actually wrench on my own stuff now :p

I'm getting ever closer to my evolutionary goal of moving to two wheels. To that end got two questions:
1) Are riding jeans/pants worth it? What I mean by that is do they provide enough protection or is it basically a gimmick?
2) What makes a riding boot? Would any type of steel/safety toe boot work or do they have extra armor?

What makes a riding boot? Would any type of steel/safety toe boot work or do they have extra armor?
Work safety shoes/boots often basically protect your toes from objects fallings onto your foot. What you want when riding a motorcycle is protection against your bike crushing your whole foot and ankle while that foot is sideways under the fallen bike. For that, get proper riding boots.

I'm getting ever closer to my evolutionary goal of moving to two wheels. To that end got two questions:
1) Are riding jeans/pants worth it? What I mean by that is do they provide enough protection or is it basically a gimmick?
2) What makes a riding boot? Would any type of steel/safety toe boot work or do they have extra armor?

1) For me, riding pants are worth it.

Riding pants (not jeans) mainly protect from abrasion and impact. Technology has improved in these recent years that some textile pants have equal or even better protection than leather.

Riding jeans usually protect against impact with knee armor but denim usually lacks abrasion protection.

Full leather pants sometimes have knee and shin armor.

Also, good riding pants are high-waisted (so coupled with a good jacket, there will be no gap on your lower back).

From personal experience, you feel a LOT more of the road when you're in regular jeans. Raindrops, rocks, bugs start to hurt when they hit you when you're going 40+mph. But then again, I'm a fucking wimp so....

2) What DanRoM. Riding boots should have ankle protection/armor, which usually means full length boots or at least 3/4 length.

Last edited:
Proper gear is essential. As stated above, they protect from abrasion and impact. Riding in jeans and a t-shirt you're shit out of luck should you eat it. Regular clothes get destroyed in an instant and provide NO protection at all. Though I'll admit to Jeans and a T-shirt leaving work when it's hotter than hell.

Last edited: