The Helmet Thread

Pretty basic question - can you wear enduro/cross helmet on a sportbike ? Can you wear a sport bike helmet on a enduro bike ?

I don't see why not? But bear in mind that it'll look as 'right' as wearing ski boots to the beach in the middle of summer.

I would be mindful of the peak on the MX/enduro helmet grabbing the air. Usually not an issue up to 60-70mph but above that it can be pretty dramatic. MX/enduro helmets are designed for maximum airflow to the rider, so they are going to be really loud and really blowy on a street bike. As for wearing a regular street helmet on an enduro, other than the fact you will get way overheated if you are riding offroad and your eyes will fill with dust since they aren't designed to work with goggles, it should work.

That reminds me of something I've been curious about - why exactly is it that true offroad helmets don't have visors but are meant to be used with goggles? Is it just another thing to improve airflow?

why exactly is it that true offroad helmets don't have visors but are meant to be used with goggles? Is it just another thing to improve airflow?
From what CrazyJeeper wrote, I guess that with a regular full-face helmet you get dust into the eyes via the air ducts. Can't happen with goggles.

Oh, wow. When I first read that part I read "ears" instead of "eyes", which I even found a bit odd because I couldn't see how that was related to wearing goggles. Herp derp.
It certainly makes a lot more sense that way.

Last edited:
After seven years and being dropped (and therefore most likely rendered unsafe) way more times than it ever should have been, I finally retired my HJC helmet and bought a new Shark Raw helmet, which I intend to take much better care of this time around. So far, I love it! The fit is perfect and visibility is excellent.

DSCF6225_zps111cff26.jpg

First ride of the season to get my bike home from where it was stored. Forgot my gloves!

10175989_739250339429042_9186104205181661495_n.jpg

That's a cool looking helmet! 'Tis a full face, aye?

And ahh, my hands are shivering at the thought of forgetting gloves in that climate. *shivers*

I believe it's an open face. They do look mighty cool though.

Without the goggles and face plate it's a 3/4 helmet, so it's almost like a modular helmet. I debated for a while about the fact that it isn't a true full-face, but decided that it's still 100% safer than my outdated HJC that's been dropped a thousand times.

Forgetting the gloves that day actually wasn't too bad as it was in the 50s, despite what all the snow in the picture would lead one to believe!

Ah, it looks pretty bad ass - especially with the Speed Triple.

In other news, I'll need to post up pics of my new helmet this weekend - we're going for the start of the season ride, so I'll try to get some pics. :)

I like the design.

Looks like a safer version of a classic helmet.

Would look awesome with my Ducati Monster. :cool:

My HJC RPS-10 is now out of action after the collision. Any thoughts on a replacement?

I don't know what your price range is but I really enjoy my Shoei Neotec. It does cost a pretty penny though (a bit less than a Shuberth at ~?500).
But it's quite comfortable, has very good soundproofing, a hollowed out area for placing loudspeakers for com systems, breath guard, built in sun visor and pin lock. Available in full face and flip up versions.
The only down side so far I found was ventilation. On the top/back of the head there is very good ventilation through the top vent, but the vent on the front of the helmet is only really good enough for preventing the visor from fogging up. It doesn't really allow for proper cooling in the face.

That's a bit pricer than I am looking for. My Range is up to $400 or so.

After talking to Spectre I ended up ordering an HJC RPHA 10. HJC's successor to the RPS-10.

I finally got to take some new snaps of my helmet. I ended up going with the Bell Star Carbon as well. I originally wanted to go for an Arai Defiant, but the photo chromatic visors on these won me over. Plus, why not give the Santa Cruz company a try?

My scheme's not as cool as Blind's, but I think it goes well with the silver monster and my overall black gear. The helmet's a bit noisier than usual, but it's damn light. I've been liking it so far.

Q8qrz2L.jpg

hTJAVHm.jpg

Last edited:
Damn you, I was already thinking of getting myself a Bell Star Carbon thanks to Blind_IO's post, and now this! :shakefist:

The best part is the 5 year warranty from date of purchase. The helmet has a great liner in the inside (it feels like it was made out of care bears!) Also, for my noggin, I've experienced no pressure points. I like the vents, but it still slightly fogs up when I'm sitting at the light. Nothing that affects your vision, but you notice the moisture.

I'm just enjoying the fact that I don't have to carry any sunglasses or spare visors.