Ride to Arizona and back in 3 days? Sure!

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso
Nearly 2 months later, I finally found the time to write up my trip I took between May 28 and May 30.

Another 3 day weekend? That can only mean one thing. Ride as far as possible!

Day 1 - Dallas, TX to Socorro, NM

Time for slab, lots of slab. The ultimate purpose of this trip is to ride US 191 in Arizona, formerly US 666, aka the Devil's Highway. Of course doing that in a 3 day weekend means getting deep into New Mexico the first day. I decided to check out some new routes and took TX 114 to Bridgeport and from there I took US 380 all of the way to Socorro. Other than the brutally flat stretch from Post, TX to Tatum, NM, it was really quite a nice route. If any of you find yourselves headed through there, I'd like to recommend grabbing a bite a Cardi's Cafe in Tahoka, TX. It's often a roll of the dice whether these small town eateries will be any good or not, and in this case it was excellent. Now for some pictures.

Somewhere in eastern New Mexico
DSCN1629-XL.jpg

I think this is an ancient lava flow
DSCN1631-XL.jpg

More wide open spaces
DSCN1635-XL.jpg

Took me about 12 hours to get to Socorro which pretty much set the tone for the rest of the trip. I had 2 more 12 hour days to go.

Day 2 - Socorro, NM to Las Cruces, NM via US 191

Time for the good part; the reason I took this whole crazy trip.

Approaching the VLA on US 64
DSCN1636-XL.jpg

VLA radio telescope
DSCN1638-XL.jpg

More wide open landscapes
DSCN1642-XL.jpg

It was a bit of a bear to yank the Tenere off the side stand in this particular spot
DSCN1643-XL.jpg

Getting into the mountains
DSCN1649-XL.jpg

DSCN1650-XL.jpg

Climbing into the pine forests
DSCN1655-XL.jpg

Welcome to Arizona!
DSCN1656-XL.jpg

Overlook on US 191
DSCN1658-XL.jpg

Pictures never do it justice
DSCN1660-XL.jpg

Met some fellow Tenere rides from Flagstaff
DSCN1669-XL.jpg

A rare picture of me!
DSCN1670-XL.jpg

Further down 191
DSCN1671-XL.jpg

Mmmm, twisties
DSCN1672-XL.jpg

Large open pit mine. I had no idea that the road actually cut right through the middle of the mine. There was one spot where they had barriers across the highway to let the gignatic mining trucks drive across.
DSCN1674-XL.jpg

At this point, I had decended from around 9000 feet to around 4000 feet with the corresponding increase in temperature.
DSCN1676-XL.jpg

More delicious corners
DSCN1677-XL.jpg

Climbing back up another pass
DSCN1681-XL.jpg

Back into New Mexico
DSCN1682-XL.jpg

Really cool canyon road
DSCN1685-XL.jpg

Amazing view at the top of Emory Pass
DSCN1688-XL.jpg

This day definitely goes down as one of the best days on the bike so far. Amazing scenery, amazing roads.

Day 3 - Las Cruces, NM to Dallas, TX

Well, fun part is mostly done, time to head east and try and get home before sunset. Luckily I had a few more fun twisty bits in NM before dropping into the plains and heat of Texas.

Riding into the rising sun heading towards white sands
DSCN1691-XL.jpg

Organ Mountains
DSCN1692-XL.jpg

White sands from the pass headed into Cloudcroft
DSCN1695-XL.jpg

I love the way the sun hits that impact blue
DSCN1696-XL.jpg

That is my last photo. At this point, I was focused on just getting home. Other than a brief chat with a sheriff's deputy about my velocity, it was a pretty uneventful slab ride all of the way across Texas on US 180.

Home!
IMG_4556-X2.jpg

According to Garmin, it was exactly 1801 miles. Can't wait for the next one!

I admit that I kinda geeked out at the VLA photo.

I admit that I kinda geeked out at the VLA photo.

It's one of those places that pictures just don't do justice. Next time I'm going to schedule some time to go through the museum there.

Great stuff man. My brother lives down in Tucson and he's been riding around the southwest for a few years now. I don't think he realizes how good he has it. You're right that pics don't quite do it justice. That doesn't make the pics any less pretty though. :D Thanks for sharing.