Google Maps to launch "Motorcycle Mode"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Maps to launch "Motorcycle Mode"

I'm on mobile, so you have to actually click the link this time.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11...-apk-teardown/

No trees were killed in the transmission of this message;
    but a stupendous number of photons and electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Interesting.
    Hope it rolls out soon.
    ?
    "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

That would be awesome. Although i'm very curious to see what's so different for motorcycles compared to cars.

To think of it, i'm member of the Maps beta and am already running this 9.66. I see nothing different or new for motorcycles.
      Last edited by Adamar; November 10th, 2017, 10:43 AM.
      IT'S OK TO BE TAKEI

Volvo C30 DRIVe
      BMW F700GS

The Law of Inverse Value: The less you contribute to society, the greater the trauma you can sustain with minimal to no physical sequelae.

FG Ringmeet 2014
      FG Ringmeet 2015
      FG Mini-Roadtrip 2015

Comment

The guys at Calimoto will be very unhappy...

Comment

Why?
          ?
          "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Because Calimoto is a routing planner website/app specializing on motorcycle routing. And Google giving everyone similar functionality within the navigation app that everyone already has installed anyway can't be good for business.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamar View Post
              That would be awesome. Although i'm very curious to see what's so different for motorcycles compared to cars.

To think of it, i'm member of the Maps beta and am already running this 9.66. I see nothing different or new for motorcycles.
              If it's anything like support for displaying current speed limit signs while in navigation mode, it'll be geo restricted to the Silicon Valley area.
              "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

"A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Comment

I doubt they are willing to match the functionality of an app like Scenic. So it probably won't be a touring app, but could be interesting for the daily commute.

Comment

Since Google is based in the Bay Area, it will likely be routes and travel times that accommodate the use of HOV lanes and lane-sharing. Outside California, I doubt it will be very useful if that is all it does.

If, on the other hand, they use their software to find excellent riding roads, that could make touring trip planning much easier.

No trees were killed in the transmission of this message;
                  but a stupendous number of photons and electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
                  X