67 Mustang heart transplant surgery in progress...

Oh, come on, don't put a bloody carb back in the thing! Megasquirt it!

:p

Wiring EFI into these old cars isn't exactly a walk in the park. Carbs are simple and work just fine :cool:

carbs are way simpler and easier to get going. but if you get a ready made EFI kit from summit or something like that. all you have to do are put them together. i have 2 TBI set ups from old chevy trucks that im still waiting to drop into my impala.. but when the times right.

Wiring EFI into these old cars isn't exactly a walk in the park. Carbs are simple and work just fine :cool:

There are kits to do just that.

And I've done it myself, I converted a Jeep Grand Wagoneer to EFI. It was worth the pain, trust me.

I've thought of doing EFI, but for a car like this, I just like carbs better. Plain and simple. Also, I broke off one of my intake bolts a couple of weeks ago and spent two days trying to drill it out. Going to pull the intake this weekend and see if I can get it out that way. Damn I hate setbacks :glare: Also, I got a guy that's selling me a Weiand intake for 50 bucks that I'm picking up today!

EDIT: I actually have some pics of the intake I'm picking up. I'm going to bead blast it Friday and see how it looks. If I like it that way I'll keep the bare metal look, if not, paint it.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Last edited:
WOO PUSHRODS!!!!

I don't really have anymore pictures so I'll have to do a written update for now.

A few weeks ago I broke an intake bolt off in the head thanks to a boneheaded maneuver by yours truly. Anyway, I agonized for 2 weekends trying to drill the damn thing out and failed miserably after 10 or so broken drill bits and one broken EZ out. I decided to bite the bullet and pull the head and take it to a machine shop. I really didn't want to do this because I didn't feel like replacing the head gaskets and doing all the cleaning of the block and head to get them to go back together flush. It cost me $65 to get that bolt out but eh oh well it was out and I could continue work on the engine. So this weekend I spent getting the heads and block prepped to put back together, which I finished on saturday. I next was going to take my newly stripped to the metal intake (pictured in black above) and paint it with some cast aluminum paint (mainly because there were some dingy areas that wouldn't come out unless I took more material off).

Well that didn't goes as planned. I was unbolting the thermostat housing when the second stubborn bolt broke off. :mad: I'm having the worst luck with broken bolts. I decided to put painting it off until I get this new broken bolt out. Luckily there is still a bit of a nub left protruding from the intake that might have enough material to weld a nut on there. I'll either have to a.) attempt to drill it out again b.) get a nut welded on or c.) take it back to the machine shop.

Best news is that when I took my heads off I found that it have .30 pistons in it so its up from a 302 to a 306! :banana:

Oh yea and I cleaned up my pushrods and got that picture in for you guys. :D

damn man. 2 broken bolts like that ? that sucks. i broke a stud off in my head for my headers. thank GOD i had the devils luck or using another bolt hole on the front to bolt up my header 100% try heating up the aluminum before you try unturning it. and you might have better uck welding a nut on it. i do that all the time at my job. GL on the build man

I'll give a written update later but for now. This is for all the haters. :p

http://img56.imageshack.**/img56/4868/dsc0239sd3.jpg

Lol Leafspri......wait. PUSHRODS!!!!111111111

Keep us updated on your progress, I really love those old US cars. I want to restore one one day too, but over here you just get raped with parts cost and regulations. It might be worth getting a job in America just to be able to do that for some years :D

Boy, whoever was working on that engine before you needs to learn to get proper bolts, not the cheapies that break.

Few weeks ago I spent an hour trying to remove a bolt that was holding my old corroded battery tray in place, I finally just got out the vice grips and twisted and pulled until the bolt head flew off. That was a pain, and it was right in the front with easy access, I can imagine what you're dealing with working on top of the engine.

Boy, whoever was working on that engine before you needs to learn to get proper bolts, not the cheapies that break.

Few weeks ago I spent an hour trying to remove a bolt that was holding my old corroded battery tray in place, I finally just got out the vice grips and twisted and pulled until the bolt head flew off. That was a pain, and it was right in the front with easy access, I can imagine what you're dealing with working on top of the engine.

Well its on a stand, so its not that bad.

And the intake bolt only broke because he tightened it down to 20 ft/lbs, as prescribed, then decided it wasn't right and decided to torque it down more! :lol: Snap!

Oh and its .030 pistons, not .30!

Well its on a stand, so its not that bad.

And the intake bolt only broke because he tightened it down to 20 ft/lbs, as prescribed, then decided it wasn't right and decided to torque it down more! :lol: Snap!

Oh and its .030 pistons, not .30!

Ah what would a brother be if he didn't point out the boneheaded blunders? Yea I broke the intake bolt off, dumb move on my part but the thermostat was not my fault, I swear! And yea I know its .030, just typed it wrong! :p

Anyway, I think I'm going to put my progress on hold for a couple of weeks so I can get school all payed off and get a few checks behind me to recover my account.

Carbs are simple and work just fine :cool:
Indeed. A couple days ago I disassembled a Holley #1850 with a swiss army knife :p. There was booze and a wager involved.

Anyway, I think I'm going to put my progress on hold for a couple of weeks so I can get school all payed off and get a few checks behind me to recover my account.
I almost hate this time of year. There's an ever-growing list of things that I want for my car, but now I've got to put some money down on tuition and buy books. And finish my Yamaha. :shakefist:

Do you think you'll get your car together by the end of the semester?

Haha, well I had planned on having it done before the summer was over, but I really underestimated the detailing work it takes putting an engine together. Plus I ran into some obstacles that really slowed down the progress and I can only work on it during the weekends because I live/work/go to school in a different place. It would be nice to get it together by the end of the year but I'm about to get started on my senior project which will literally eat my free time. We'll see though!

You know the rule for working on these old cars right? Sit down and plan out a budget, figure exactly what it takes- then double everything and throw the schedule out the window.

It gets done when it's done, goals are nice, but rarely met with these. Take the time to go quality work, don't skip out and take shortcuts as they will come back and bite you later.

Update time

Now that school has been out I have had some time to work on this thing. Pictars

As it sits now. Got the timing chain cover and set, water pump, intake and oil pump, pickup and pan on since my last update. It took awhile to sort out all the timing chain cover and water pump bolts. All different lengths!

DSC_0186.jpg

A few different angles

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

For Spectre, my christmas gift for the car

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

I also got some 1.6 aluminum roller rockers essentially for free from a friend of my brothers. I think they're about $100 for a new set.

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

I'll be putting some more accessories on today so hopefully more pics tonight.

Another update. I've got some new parts :D

First up is a new alternator. I got this off a very nice Mercury Mystique at a junkyard. It is the 3G and pumps out 130 amps as opposed to 60ish from the old, stock one. Looks even nicer than the old one!

DSC_0277.jpg

Another angle. I won't be using the serpentine setup despite the pulley. I'm pulling my old v-belt pulley off the old alt.

DSC_0278.jpg

I'll need the 130 amps to power my new electric fan. I pulled this off a 90s Ford Taurus on Friday.

DSC_0279.jpg

Also got a new fuel pump from summit, which arrived earlier this week.

DSC_0280.jpg

This is the motor as it sat earlier this afternoon.

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

I ran into some problems with my pulley alignments. The 302/5.0L is a 50 oz imbalance while my 289 is a 28 oz imbalance. The 50 oz harmonic balancer has a 4 bolt pattern while the 28 only has three. I was led to believe that if I used a 70s+ model crank pulley and water pump pulley I would be ok. Unfortunately the 50oz balancer has a larger offset than the 28 so I had interference between the w/p pulley and the crank pulley.

Thus, I've had to order a new balancer that is 50 oz and has the stock 3" offset as well as the 3 bolt pattern so I can use my original crank pulley. This dilemma has been holding me up for weeks so I haven't made much progress. Hopefully I can pick up the pace, the engine is almost done.

Other work I did today: With two of my pulleys useless I decided to strip them, paint them and then sell them. I also did the same to my original pulleys so they'll look nice.

Prime
DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

Coat of black
DSC_0295.jpg

I ran out of paint before I could do a final coat so I just took them down and let them dry. Looks a bit like abstract art huh? Haha.

Also, I did a few simple things like attach the oil pump sending unit and fuel pump. Some pics below.

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

Comments welcome of course, let's see if I can get this thread alive again!

Looking good.

Once you get that thing going, we have to do a D/FW FG meet :mrgreen: