1971 Fiat 850 Sport Coupe

Geof

Hey guys .. I haven't posted on the forum in a while and mainly idle on IRC. I have gloated a bit about this rare little car.

I bought it on December 27th and had to have it transported on a trailer. It has a non-running 903cc inline 4 engine. It turns over but the largest problem with the engine is the carburetor. I'm going to be rebuilding it whenever I can get it off (the things been a bugger to even get slightly lifted up). The plan is to restore the car to it's original condition (or as close to as possible). Being a 1971 I can't get the original interior parts, but I can use some of the interior stuff that was with it when I bought it. Mechanically it's the same as the 850 Spider which is A LOT more common and I haven't had a hard time finding parts for it.

DSC04392.jpg

DSC04393.jpg

DSC04399.jpg

DSC04400.jpg

DSC04402.jpg

DSC04403.jpg

DSC04404.jpg

DSC04406.jpg

DSC04409.jpg

BTW, the mustang is also mine.

Nice! The back reminds me of a Dino. I am a FIAT fan, but never heard of this one.

Nice! The back reminds me of a Dino. I am a FIAT fan, but never heard of this one.

I'm glad I could introduce this one to you. :D

They are really rare in North America, especially Canada. When I get mine on the road it'll be the first one that I've actually ever seen on the roads ;) The guy I bought it off of had way too many cars (but already sold quite a few), however has a Fiat 500 at his farm. Too bad it wasn't at his house in the city when I went to pick up the 850.

:thumbsup:

Love it! Very cool. Hope it turns out well

Absolutely nice!

But I get a headache just thinking about how hard it must be to get parts in Canada. I don't think my car shares anything with yours, but if you need something desperately, I could take a look around :). Good luck!

My elder brother had one - sounds like a VW Beetle - rear engined, had twin Webbers on his and went like stink - rusted to bits, RiP.

His was a Ferrari like Red. We followed the London - Sydney rally down from London on the A2 to Canterbury in Kent in it (a top speed of 105 MPH indicated, naughty, naughty). I think it was in 1971. The one you've got is called a Fiat 850 Sport Coupe, they did a 4 door as well, but it looked crap to be honest.

EDIT/ Nope 1968 - that was a long time ago.

http://marathon68.homestead.com/

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen...any Fiat on the streets of the Greater Toronto Area. I've seen a few Alfa Romeos(mostly 164s), the odd Maserati and...I think that's it with the Italian cars outside of supercars. Great job on finding such a rare car especially in Canada where rust is the biggest killer of all cars here.

Lovely car, take care of it ;)

My elder brother had one - sounds like a VW Beetle - rear engined, had twin Webbers on his and went like stink - rusted to bits, RiP.

His was a Ferrari like Red. We followed the London - Sydney rally down from London on the A2 to Canterbury in Kent in it (a top speed of 105 MPH indicated, naughty, naughty). I think it was in 1971. The one you've got is called a Fiat 850 Sport Coupe, they did a 4 door as well, but it looked crap to be honest.

EDIT/ Nope 1968 - that was a long time ago.

http://marathon68.homestead.com/

Was it an Abarth? I don't think the 850's can manage that high of a speed... unless it was an Abarth that had some more power. :p

Beni - I don't think that they would either. And I was surprised about the availability of parts. I can either order easily online or go to Ital Motors in downtown Edmonton that can get the parts for me. :mrgreen:

GM_IV - I've only seen an X1/9 in a parking lot. My description would make it sound hideous but you would have had to see it to think it was awesome. An almost horrible green, gold and chrome spoked rims. The day I went to Ital Motors to check it out I had seen about seven Alfa's.

Thanks guys.

He's an engineer/mechanic works for Volvo BM now - God alone knows what he did to the motor and I did say "indicated" so was probably less. It actually had a 943 cc engine I think. Very black plastic inside! He got it in Germany but it was a RHD - unusual thing to do then. He was, at that time, in the BAOR.

He's an engineer/mechanic works for Volvo BM now - God alone knows what he did to the motor and I did say "indicated" so was probably less. It actually had a 943 cc engine I think. Very black plastic inside! He got it in Germany but it was a RHD - unusual thing to do then. He was, at that time, in the BAOR.

Sounds like it was bored out, but I might be wrong. I haven't heard of a 943cc engine in an 850 yet (however I'm still pretty new to these cars...)

Looks like a neat little old car, I know I've never even heard of it :p. Keep us updated!

Super cool little car, but for the love of god, get it out of the snow!

youtube has some cool results

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTDfbso7FpY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=oIInizrFD6o[/YOUTUBE]

seems to handle really well for having the same layout as a Porsche. <3 Fiat

Last edited:
I loved the noise of the first one. Thank you!
And I also :heart: FIAT
Wikipedia gave me something interesting:
" * Abarth 1600 OT

An Abarth version of the Fiat 850 was made. Even thougth the Abarth O.T 1600 had the same body as the Fiat 850, they had only a few things on common. The O.T 1600 featured a 4cylinder 1592 cc DOHC engine and either a 4 speed manual or close-ratio 6 speed manual gearbox. The fuel was delivered by two double Weber 45 mm carburettors. The engine was still in the rear, but was now putting out 155 hp (116 kW) and 144.3 N?m (106 ft?lbf) at 7600 rpm, but the red-line was at a staggering 9000 rpm.":blink:

Last edited:
I loved the noise of the first one. Thank you!
And I also :heart: FIAT
Wikipedia gave me something interesting:
" * Abarth 1600 OT

An Abarth version of the Fiat 850 was made. Even thougth the Abarth O.T 1600 had the same body as the Fiat 850, they had only a few things on common. The O.T 1600 featured a 4cylinder 1592 cc DOHC engine and either a 4 speed manual or close-ratio 6 speed manual gearbox. The fuel was delivered by two double Weber 45 mm carburettors. The engine was still in the rear, but was now putting out 155 hp (116 kW) and 144.3 N?m (106 ft?lbf) at 7600 rpm, but the red-line was at a staggering 9000 rpm.":blink:

These cars are so light .. even though the stock sport coupe only produces 52hp I'm pretty sure that'll be enough to have fun with. I've also been in contact with someone on the Alfabb forums that has an Abarth 1300 OT and his is currently apart in pieces but much better condition than mine.. heh.

Mine doesn't run. As soon as I start doing more mechanical stuff to it, it'll be inside my garage. We got a nice dump of snow so it's covered... I was going to put a tarp over it, but the wind has also been pretty bad lately (CRAP!). I'm starting to save more money, and then I will be able to start doing more work to it. With my money troubles lately I really want to be able to sell my mustang. :(

Uh, the last time he was online was a year and half ago.

Raised from the dead, THE THREAD LIVES!!!