Nitrous Blue 2018 Focus RS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitrous Blue 2018 Focus RS

My Legacy GT was a hoot to drive, but it was getting old (12!), rusty, and I felt an expensive year à la 2016 was looming on the horizon.

And a co-worker showed up a week ago with a Civic Type R he bought on impulse.

So, the desire to replace the venerable Subaru was back on, and again, I was faced with a dilemma.

Buy a semi-sporty, semi-luxurious car, like a used Lexus IS350 or something similar, but then I would lose the joy of rowing my own gears.

Civic Type R was out as well, since I have no desire to buy a FWD car ever again, not even one as well put together as the CTR.

VW Golf R could have worked, but I'm weary of long term reliability of German cars, and it just doesn't make me fizz.

I though of going back to another Subaru, with a WRX Sporttech, but a friend of mine bought one a year ago and he is less than impressed with it.

A Mustang GT was tempting, but a RWD car in our climate would be awesome 8 months a year, and varying from average to unlivable the other 4 months depending on the road conditions.

So I was left with one choice, the Focus RS. But a quick look at the ford.ca website showed that they raised the price 10000$ between 2017 and 2018, putting the MSRP at over 60k$, more than a Mustang Bullit!

I decided to look at the online inventory, in case some dealers had deals, and to my surprise, there were quite a few with a 10000$ discount, in the only color I would consider, Nitrous Blue.

And then I found one with a 12000$ discount. And then I test drove it. And then I was able to negotiate an even better price.

And then it was mine.

So I'm replacing a Blue AWD manual wagon with a 4 cylinder turbo engine with a Blue AWD manual hatchback with a 4 cylinder turbo engine.

I lose 200cc, but I gain 70hp and an extra gear.

Proof pic:

​​​​​

Morning after I got it, good thing I had it delivered with the winter tires on...

Last edited by RdKetchup; November 11th, 2018, 3:53 PM.
    - Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my BOOMSTICK!

Smart move, with Ford discontinuing the Focus altogether in N America, the RS is going to be one of the most desirable and sought after cars in its class. After you're done enjoying and driving it, you'll still command a great resale price when you sell.

Comment

Driving impressions after ~200km...

The ride is hard! I didn't notice it during the test drive and the drive home, but today I finally understood why all the reviews I've read complained about it. It's not worse than the ride of my Legacy on Koni Yellow's, so I can live with it.

The handling is amazing. The torque vectoring is just insane. I can' t wait to try it in the snow. This will be fun!

The power is nice, but it's not as big a difference from the Subaru as I was expecting.

But the biggest smile inducer so far is the noise. Maybe I'm really just a kid, but I find myself just stepping on the right pedal to hear the noise and than the pops when I let go

I know the engine sound is partially faked, I will need to try with the fake sound generator disconnected to see if I like it better "natural".

Edit:

So tonight I decided to disconnect the FENG (Fake ENGine noise module), and went for a ride. It was all a lie! That nice boxer rumble that I liked so much, all gone!

The pops are still there though.

But since I now know that the sound was fake, I can't go back to it. And the real sound of the engine is not that bad, and for everyday driving, the fake noise was a bit too loud, specially in Sport mode (that I use 99% of the time so far).

Back to tonight's ride... The temperature was cold, at exactly 0°, but the roads were dry. I did a little highway run turning around near my workplace in an exit I knew had nice esses (but that I'm only used to taking in the opposite direction). It starts with a 180° hairpin, that I took at a fun but reasonable pace since the concrete wall is not very far away. When I got to the first part of the esses, I went in at an ok speed, and then floored it. The back end just stepped out the perfect amount and I powered out of the turn counter-steering the whole way, laughing so loud by myself in the car

And this was in Sport mode. On a dry road. After less than 300 km driven, so I'm pushing nowhere near what I would do on a car I'm more familiar with.
      - Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my BOOMSTICK!

Comment

Fake noise aside, it looks like you made the right choice.
        Congrats
        ?
        "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Originally posted by Redliner View Post
          Fake noise aside, it looks like you made the right choice.
          Congrats
          Yep, I'm just scared of 3 things :

- Losing my license.
          - Fuel expenses.
          - Tire expenses.

Comment

Another one joins the hot hatch crowd! I approve!
            1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
            2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
            1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
            2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
            2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

Yes! Color me jealous!

Comment

Very yes. Ford hot hatch stamp of approval.

PMed you some mods my coworkers are doing. Theres a really good but pricey suspension kit out there I can find for you if youre interested in making the ride a bit more bearable.

1997 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 quattro - 12/2006-04/2007 - Totaled
                2005 Audi TT 1.8T quattro - 07/2012-11/2012 - Traded
                2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - 11/2012-
                1992 Mazda Miata 1.6 - 03/2013-07/2017 - Sold
                1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - 12/2014-

Twitter/Instagram: @SeenOnWoodward

Comment

Originally posted by CrzRsn View Post
                  Very yes. Ford hot hatch stamp of approval.

PMed you some mods my coworkers are doing. Theres a really good but pricey suspension kit out there I can find for you if youre interested in making the ride a bit more bearable.
                  Thanks for the PM.

For the suspension, I don't plan on modifying it (I want to keep this car stock), but I'm still curious about that kit that actually improves the ride. That must be a first in the history of aftermarket suspension kits

Comment

You could always do an exhaust on it to help with noise, not that you can do much with a 4t
                    ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

Comment

Originally posted by RdKetchup View Post

Thanks for the PM.

For the suspension, I don't plan on modifying it (I want to keep this car stock), but I'm still curious about that kit that actually improves the ride. That must be a first in the history of aftermarket suspension kits
                      No it isn't. I went the cheap route and only got new springs, but my 1-series needed aftermarket solutions to soften the ride. Welcome to the blue hatchback with harsh suspension -club.
                      Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by RdKetchup View Post
                        The two kits my coworker is considering are:

DSCsports: https://www.dscsport.com/product/for...-dscsport-kit/
                        and
                        Litchfield: http://www.litchfieldmotors.com/ford/focus-rs#handling

Supposedly both make the care a lot better. The DSC is a really extreme kit that gos as far as replacing the whole suspension controller module. I'd be a bit weary of doing something like that, but they seem to know what they're doing as they do a lot of Porsche Cup cars.

Comment

The two kits my coworker is considering are:

DSCsports: https://www.dscsport.com/product/for...-dscsport-kit/
                          and
                          Litchfield: http://www.litchfieldmotors.com/ford/focus-rs#handling

Supposedly both make the care a lot better. The DSC is a really extreme kit that gos as far as replacing the whole suspension controller module. I'd be a bit weary of doing something like that, but they seem to know what they're doing as they do a lot of Porsche Cup cars.
                          Some of the SS guys are looking at getting DSC to do a kit similar to the Camaro and Vette options they offer. From what I have read on the forums from the P car owners have been very happy with their solution.

Comment

Congrats! The car is an absolute hoot to drive and is on my short list of cars to own.
                            Originally posted by MadCat360
                            You've never driven your car hard and you never will. Only a professional racing driver can drive a car hard. Everyone else sucks.

Comment

I can now confirm that the AWD system is awesome in the snow

Comment

What snow tires did those ship with?

Comment

What snow tires did those ship with?
                                  18" Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4.

Comment

Working...
                                  X