My '02 Vauxhall Corsa SXi 1.2

Update:

Time to spend some money. Decided i'll spent around ?1400 on her to fix current issues and make it more homley for the next 2 years :cool:

First up the gear linkage is getting replaced with a aftermarket one as Vauxhall's standard one is shite and mines started to go. Also getting a new gear selector pin and gear knob so it looks nice and fresh.

A mate from Detailing World is going to fully correct the paintwork and have the paint brought back to showroom condition; them I'm going to keep it up by buying some nice wax and polish.

New rims are going on; 16" SRi ones

picture_011.jpg

Will lower 30mm and fit uprated pads on the front and possibly new discs as well

Pipecross Viper induction kit. Has a cold air intake so no heat soak, looks good and

Pipercross_Viper_400.jpg

Might CC the spoiler, mirrors, skirts and arches in 20R (paint code ) but not sure yet. Might do it myself if its expensive.

Considering fitting a Stainless steel full exhaust system too as there only ?200 for a Peco one and it sounds really nice; none of this chavvy loud pish backbox crap you hear and see; a proper job done of it.

Finally some Recaro Speeds :heart:

Speed_vinylblack_napssaturn.jpg

Might also get a new headunit for me tunes :music:

Just want one with a AUX input for my iPod and mp3 playing compatibility.

Will also get a new leather steering wheel at the same time as mine's a bit worn; I can just hook the headunit up to the standard wheel controls whilst I do it.

Looking forward to getting it done up nicely and look no body kits and neon lights :cool: Like the standard look of it and all I may do is put SRi lower grills in as I have fogs there quite rare though.

Seems like a lot of money to spend on a 1.2 Corsa.. I personally would just save the money, there is definately a better use for it.

Money is far better saved for when it decides to kick you in the wallet! That said, if you are going to go ahead and put sports seats in it, I'd keep the old ones for when you eventually sell it. People avoid cars with stuff like that like the plague

my girlfriends car has that 1.2 engine and i was suprised how lively it is. i know its only a light car, but around town that 1.2 does a very good job shifting that car. it doesnt feel bogged down or anything!

Mine's in limp mode but should be fixed soon. Its quite quick in 3rd gear like, enjoy giving it a good bootful on the big 60mph roads.

New crankshaft sensor arrives tomorrow hopefully so no more limp mide :bunny:

Getting a oil change done soon as well as the service history looks dodgy as fuck and the garage that sold it to me was confused as well by it (he bought the car at auction from Arnold Clark Vauxhall) as its not been filled in right by the first owner who seems to have had spark plug changes every year and by the looks of things no new air element or oil for a long time.

Cant wait to pass my test so I can go up north on some of the long A roads for a wee blast

Last edited:
Bought the car some new springs as the Os rear one is cracked so went and bought Spax 30mm ones for ?100. Look sexy.

Will post pictures after there done.

Replaced the crankshaft sensor too. Nice having a car too rev to 6500 rpm now when I boot it :D

Need a new gear linkage thouhg as its goosed; 2nd gears hard to get into as is reverse. ?50 for a metal aftermarket one.

Clearly you're the type that likes to fiddle with these things and tinker with your car and I think it's nice to see people enjoy their hobbies, altough a little voice in my head wants to point out "it's just a Corsa!" you shouldnt listen to me or other detractors. I spent close to ?1000 on a little silicone and plastic upgrading my computer because it's a hobby of mine, to some that probably sounds a bit daft. But I think it's fun. And that's really all that matters. :)

Last edited:
Clearly you're the type that likes to fiddle with these things and tinker with your car and I think it's nice to see people enjoy their hobbies, altough a little voice in my head wants to point out "it's just a Corsa!" you shouldnt listen to me or other detractors. I spent close to ?1000 on a little silicone and plastic upgrading my computer because it's a hobby of mine, to some that probably sounds a bit daft. But I think it's fun. And that's really all that matters. :)

Yep that's me like; have spent some time on it so far. Love it though; find it great fun. Want a good performing and efficient engine that runs spot on.

Cleaned throttle body

r8z1hy.jpg

2dqocn5.jpg

That was it before; no after as as I was covered in carb cleaner but engine runs a bit smoother with the new oil change and injectors being cleaned.

Also fitted a air filter; sound nice under hard acceleration but nothing OTT

9kw40j.jpg

No heat sock either as it has the air feed and airbox housing keeping it secure so no fucked MAF sensor.

Stance looks ok, but I still fail to see the point of spending so much money on a 1.2 Corsa..

nice, my wife used to have the 1.0 version of this, and my dad owned the 1.2... coincidentally my dad in law used to have a 1.4 so I guess i've driven every possible version of this car... :)

3200 quid is no money at all for a car like that. What I particularly loved about this one is that it's light as hell, so you don't need lots of powaaaaaah. The 60ish hp in the 1.0 sufficed.
Also, revving the nuts off it is FUN. that is all.

With that engine in stock form, no airbox in the world will improve performance by more than maybe 1-2hp, no point in blowing money on them imo.:)

dont you lose out on torque at the bottom end for a 1-2hp gain at the top.... i know some intakes plenums are tuned specifically to give better engine characteristics at low rpm to get you going.... thats why u see some engines with oddly long intake pipes.

on my focus the intake pipe went in a wierd U bend shape reaching halfway down the radiator before coming back to the air box.

I just have it for the noise; sounds like a wee supercharger whine above 3500rpm. So its like a Lotus Exige:D

Need to sort the handbrake though as its erm goosed.

Is there a part of the airbox not shown that keeps the intake from sucking in air that's been heated by the engine? It's hard to tell from the picture and I don't know the Corsa mechanicals ...

Regardless, I still like the way it looks. Cars like that can really teach you how to drive properly and get the most out of a car (as compared to the Clarkson style of hoonage) :)

Steve

Is there a part of the airbox not shown that keeps the intake from sucking in air that's been heated by the engine? It's hard to tell from the picture and I don't know the Corsa mechanicals ...

Regardless, I still like the way it looks. Cars like that can really teach you how to drive properly and get the most out of a car (as compared to the Clarkson style of hoonage) :)

Steve

Yes, what I've done is kept the lower half of the standard airbox and put the filter in that. It gets air like the normal airbox from the intake and wont heat soak and kill my MAF.

Very few Corsa owners do this then get puzzled when there forking out for a ?80 MAF from VX just because they dont think.

Its up for sale as ive seen a 1.4 SRi Exclusiv for sale that's caught my eye. Full heater leather, cruise, climate control = ftfw:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Stance looks ok, but I still fail to see the point of spending so much money on a 1.2 Corsa..

No offence, but i hate this sort of single minded opinion. Here is why spending this money is fine

1. Its individual, personalisation and changing the looks of a car are fine. I don't see why its bad if he likes the way his car looks.

2. Some people can't afford nice cars for there first car (this mostly means insurance, as over here you get raped for it), so why can't he improve what he has?

3. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its automatically a waste of money.

Sorry, but thats my opinion. And the car looks much better mate! My mate at work has also lowered his Corsa 40mm, improves looks so much!