JDM Spaceship

f1anatic

Car(s)
Subaru Legacy GT; Forester XP; Jeep Grand Cherokee
SUBARU LEGACY GT Highlights:

ENGINE: 266 wheel horsepowers; 321 wheel torques !
(that is some 320 crank HP; 385 lb-ft); protuned; stage 2.5
TRANSMISSION
Type: Manual, 5 speed;
Limited Slip Differentials: 3 - front, centre and rear - distributing power side to side and front to rear
with Racing Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel
ON BOARD ELECTRONICS
Car PC on Windows XP SP2 N-LITE and Centrafuse
Engine Telemetry: RomRaider / Tree Hugger

+ other suspension; brake; lighting; mounts; bushings parts and many other STi and JDM; Cusco; Perrin; Cobb and AVO Japan bits

Attachments

• LGT-bw.jpg
    LGT-bw.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Reactions: Jay
Now that I'm aboard the Subaru bandwagon I can comment on how awesome your car is.

Reactions: Jay
Get your carputer up to spec with at least Win7 (custom Linux system preferred) and I think you need suspension and bigger wheels :)

Otherwise very nice, want moar pix.

Thanks.
You probably know me from NASIOC and the epic cruises I organize; I live in Chicago but I do not make the meets in Schaumburg all that often.

Get your carputer up to spec with at least Win7 (custom Linux system preferred) and I think you need suspension and bigger wheels :)

Otherwise very nice, want moar pix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVflA-rc0qI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhMzK-BX3EM

Car got suspension changes: springs/struts/sway bars/bushings - stiffened just not lowered. I am not a fan of the slammed looks and my car is not simply an asphalt queen. And if you've ever been to Chicago, our roads are beyond garbage. They are lunar craters. Over on NASIOC I run some cruise events that run 2 days long over anything from smooth asphalt to bad gravel so I need flexibility in my suspension choice. Hence the front LSD upgrade - a very expensive custom order NEW part from Japan - they stopped making rev. 6 GC body RA STI (with 5MT) a while ago. No bigger wheels - detrimental to acceleration. I do not have a dyno queen nor do I have a show car. Just an honest Subaru with flat torque and horsepower curves and no lag - emphasis on acceleration NOT peak horsepower and life after 3500. It's daily driven not a drag strip beater. In fact I loathe drag strips. In fact my next upgrade will most certainly be a 16G turbo or some twin scroll setup that pushes the boost sooner, preferably around 2000 rpm.

As for the CarPC up to Windows 7 - no way. It does not beat Win XP in boot times if you compare them on same hardware; in full trim. That in itself is not worth the upgrade. Besides, my Win XP setup is hacked using nLite - so with lots of fat trimmed I can boot up to the Centrafuse interface (replacing the Explorer shell) with satellite signal and network in like 28 seconds while hibernation is well...seconds.

Can't find my current dyno graph but since the one I put here; I added a Perrin intercooler; cat-back and a retune. And new colder plugs and half a psi in boost ! I tell ya, small changes big grins !

Attachments

• 224558.jpg
    224558.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 61
  • 224559.jpg
    224559.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF0083__Large_.JPG
    DSCF0083__Large_.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 224794.jpg
    224794.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 2005.Subaru.Legacy.GT.dyno_Mon.12.May.2008__Large_.jpg
    2005.Subaru.Legacy.GT.dyno_Mon.12.May.2008__Large_.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF8203__Large_.JPG
    DSCF8203__Large_.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I am not a fan of the slammed looks and my car is not simply an asphalt queen. And if you've ever been to Chicago, our roads are beyond garbage. They are lunar craters.
I hear you dude, Brooklyn/NYC in general is same way.
As for the CarPC up to Windows 7 - no way. It does not beat Win XP in boot times if you compare them on same hardware; in full trim. That in itself is not worth the upgrade. Besides, my Win XP setup is hacked using nLite - so with lots of fat trimmed I can boot up to the Centrafuse interface (replacing the Explorer shell) with satellite signal and network in like 28 seconds while hibernation is well...seconds.
But it's preeeeety :D 7 is faster for me than XP on same hardware actually. Also have you tried tinyXP? If you have time/will you should see if you can use that as a starting point to customize your set up they take out alot of stuff.

It's a sweet ride. Out of curiosity why LGT and not WRX. Always curious as to people's reasons for getting specific cars :)

I hear you dude, Brooklyn/NYC in general is same way.

But it's preeeeety :D 7 is faster for me than XP on same hardware actually. Also have you tried tinyXP? If you have time/will you should see if you can use that as a starting point to customize your set up they take out alot of stuff.

It's a sweet ride. Out of curiosity why LGT and not WRX. Always curious as to people's reasons for getting specific cars :)

Well the next time I do a clean install for the CarPC project I will try that and a solid state disc. For now, no. If it works, i am not doing anything unless it is a major upgrade. It is less about the money and more about the time.

Why LGT and not WRX ? Great question. Compound answer: I am older (in my 30s) with a mature perception of things and thrills and do no like the ricer look or affiliation. And cause LGT is stealthy when it comes to everyone from law enforcement to burglers to pedestrians. It looks like a Camry. Back when I bought it, in 2005, you either got the lesser powered and lesser equipped 2.0 WRX or you got the powerful STI yet lesser equipped. But then the LGT fit right in between them power wise, yet it had everything from 6CD changer to heated seats mirrors, wipers, the new multilink suspension and the new "chassis" which formed the basis of the current Impreza line and other tech stuff like immobilizers and shock sensors. Best value for the money.

Last edited:
I always liked the LGT more like you said more grown up look. It's a great car :)

Looks mean and moody, I like. I approve of the Carputer too, but I agree that it would benefit from Windows 7.

I think that any of you that suggest Windows 7 on the CarPC have never put one together. It is not a week-end project and getting the software to work together takes weeks of tweaking. The automotive environment is very different from the house desktop. Have you ever ever tackled the complexities of splitting COM ports between virtual-serial-to-USB GPS shared with Tactrix 1.4 Open-Port cables and trying to integrate software into the Centrafuse touch-screen application and assigning attributes in order to by-pass screen locks when the car is in motion. Good luck doing that with Windows 7. In order to achieve an OEM look and functionality you cannot have a keyboard and a mouse rigged between the seats. I have a touch pad, true, but that is all. But let us not get too hung up on Win 7 vs. XP. I do not have the time to spend on a CarPC. If it works, and works without a glitch; then this is how it stays until I update the maps.

Well I did not write the book on CarPC but surely I wrote a bit on the subject.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52252

On my Win7 Pro install, even with that notification bar dragged all the way down (to none basically); AND running programs as administrator AND manually assigning all the privileges in the security tab, I still get some messages every now and then asking for permissions to start the program. I can't have that in the car. Simpler is better and XP does the job without problems.

51276d1219405588-subaru-ssm-working-almost-img00468.jpg

Last edited:
car - puter?

like, DANGER TO MANIFOLD?

j/k I like the ideals of this car. it's not much different than something I would do with my own car provided the money :D

What have you done power-wise? Also, be careful with it - my buddy has an LGT just like yours; make 400whp on high boost, detuned it for the street to around 370 I think. He's had nothing but problems, and that's on a fully built forged-everything block and meth. He spat out chunks of third gear, fried the ecu, had timing problems, lots of electrical issues... over the last year and a half he's had it on the road for maybe 15 days (I am not kidding). He's done now - parting it out.

What have you done power-wise? Also, be careful with it - my buddy has an LGT just like yours; make 400whp on high boost, detuned it for the street to around 370 I think. He's had nothing but problems, and that's on a fully built forged-everything block and meth. He spat out chunks of third gear, fried the ecu, had timing problems, lots of electrical issues... over the last year and a half he's had it on the road for maybe 15 days (I am not kidding). He's done now - parting it out.

Having been involved in the legacy scene for a while, I concur with this experience, folks i know who have their 2.5T engines tuned to close to 400 whp have experienced nothing but reliability problems that aren't avoided even with a complete engine rebuild with stronger parts. It really is pushing the limits of that block sadly.

I think that any of you that suggest Windows 7 on the CarPC have never put one together. It is not a week-end project and getting the software to work together takes weeks of tweaking. The automotive environment is very different from the house desktop. Have you ever ever tackled the complexities of splitting COM ports between virtual-serial-to-USB GPS shared with Tactrix 1.4 Open-Port cables and trying to integrate software into the Centrafuse touch-screen application and assigning attributes in order to by-pass screen locks when the car is in motion. Good luck doing that with Windows 7. In order to achieve an OEM look and functionality you cannot have a keyboard and a mouse rigged between the seats. I have a touch pad, true, but that is all. But let us not get too hung up on Win 7 vs. XP. I do not have the time to spend on a CarPC. If it works, and works without a glitch; then this is how it stays until I update the maps.

Well I did not write the book on CarPC but surely I wrote a bit on the subject.

You are making it entirely too complicated. There is open source/freeware touch screen interfaces for Windows and running a USB to your touch screen and another one to your GPS reciever/antena is not complicated (didn't do one for myself but helped a friend). Audio is easy enough to plug into the amp as well. It also depends highly on your hardware but just about nettop should do just fine.

I have a feeling that your touchscreen monitor is a bigger pain in the ass than it really needs to be.

The only real pain is getting the PC to suspend/hibernate/shutdown when you turn the car off. We solved that problem with running a small UPS that would suspend it once it lost external power. Since suspend mode takes very little energy it could sustain it for quite a while.

EDIT: Read some of your thread, seems that biggest issue was your timing. Currently there are Wi-Fi based OBD-II modules that you can get, freeware front end applications, bluetooth USB recievers and so on. I'm thinking that most of your issues could have been avoided using more modern stuff :D

Last edited:
Who would have thunk you cannot buy modern 2009 Winter stuff in the Spring of 2007 ? Stupid me for not waiting 2.5 years to use modern stuff.

Seems to me that you are not quite with either the Subaru or the "carpc business" intimately. Each car has unique installation challenges.

Freeware/Opensource like RoadRunner is FAR from being the finished product of Centrafuse / Street Deck. Certainly at the time. I did not like Road Runner; Frodo etc and I paid for the licensed software that actually fit my liking.

There is NO SUCH THING as Wi-Fi OBD-2 modules that work on Subaru. Been there, tried that with ELM-2 based readers. Subaru uses SSM-3 monitor and that is that. Generic OBD-II readers/cables may work and read several parameters; Tactrix cable allows me to pull almost 100 different parameters; from RPM to AVCS; tune the car; clear codes; read trouble codes; data log; bump up idle RPMs; and did I say TUNE the car ? I would never tune it myself but these days you either do Open Source (so you need a tactrix cable) or you do Cobb Tuning Accessport (and I got one of those too).
http://www.romraider.com/RomRaider/Screenshots
Of course, I would NOT tune my car (1) myself or (2) using the CarPC. But i can datalog any parameter in case I image things or indeed something is wrong. I was in Wisconsin a few weeks back and I blew a coil. I got my misfire P0103 code - cyl # 3 by the turbo; I reset my ECU; code repeated; changed the plug; still misfire; changed 2 coils among themselves; misfire moved to a different cylinder P0101; diagnostics done I could sleep knowing that 128 bucks later my car will be working properly. All within 1 hour before sunset on a Saturday night near La Crosse.

Running 2 USB's or 5 is NOT the problem: the problem is when they want to use the same COM port. You'll have to see it to believe it. And manually assigning COM ports is NOT always going to work. Have you ever installed a serial-to-usb com port ? But have you ever had problems with COM ports when resuming from hibernation ?

As for Audio my friend, you speak as if the 2005-06 Legacy GT came with an auxiliary input just waiting to happen. In fact it did not. More so, the climate control and the CD changer are all a common body and it required nimble fingers and out-of-the-box thinking by one of the engineers on the forums to create an aux input. Later by 2008, a company claimed to have successfully removed the CD-player from the integrated climate control circuitry [don't get me wrong, you could always remove the components but you were stuck with the common circuit board] but I have not heard of them marketing it successfully.

You know, we've all helped friends do this and do that. It is when you are away from home and in some shady place and your CarPC GPS refuses to acquire signal when you realize that chasing every possible upgrade on such a money pit is just not worth the trouble.

Touchscreen monitor complicated - yes, unlike others I created a frame and bolted it since I did not want my monitor to become unglued when running hot air thru the vents :) Seen that happen to others.

As for the engine power. That is why for 400 whp you buy a Corvette. Not a Subaru. Every car is a money pit once you start modifying it. If you do it in moderation and know what you are doing and use only reputable vendors established in the industry then you should still be able to enjoy the car while keeping it reliable. I do not have every possible mod under the sun and I keep the power at levels that have been shown to be very safe over the years. And knock on wood, the car has been reliable and I intend to keep it slower (than its potential) but reliable.

There are automotive DC-DC regulators and I surely have one. It is the easiest thing to set up of ALL the carpc stuff; whether you use a battery/UPS (and do it via software) or use the options built in to send a turn on-turn off signal. :)

f1anatic,
Very long post so I won't quote it. LOL on your first paragraph, I didn't imply that you should have waited for 2.5 years just saying that my experience would vary slightly because of all the new stuff available.

You are correct I am not very intimate with either of those things, it is strange to hear that the Scoobie uses such a weird set up. Even my Eurotrash (as it is affectionately called among my JDM friends) has a much simpler set up for audio. I was refering to running a 3rd party amp as opposed to trying to plug into stock, that's a pain on any car :)

Interesting about the OBD-II, didn't realize it was so proprietary I thought that they were all standardized. I never encountered USB's trying to use the same COM though it would usually just create new virtual COMs for me.

Like you said different cars different challenges :)