Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G'day mate, welcome to The Outback (first car)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G'day mate, welcome to The Outback (first car)

Good onya for clickin' on the thread. now slip-slop-slap and gimme a good old 'cooee!' for my first whip. It's a '98 outback 5-spd with about 103k on it. got it from my aunt and uncle who've treated it well because it's been a third car for them. i personally love driving it, but it's been rough since i learned how to drive stick less than two weeks ago. getting better though.

any suggestions for accessories, tips about running it etc?

Nice.
    There's some other dude on this forum who has a white Subie wagon that has all JDM exterior parts on it. It looks pretty good, may want to look into that. Also some WRX rims would look nice.

EDIT: Heres the PYC thread I was talkin about.

http://forums.finalgear.com/post-you...y-wagon-33348/
    Last edited by Rossco; December 15th, 2010, 11:37 PM.
    2005 Saab 9-5 Arc wagon
    1999 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Great first car! Pretty low-ish miles for the age. Subarus like that are so tough, just follow the scheduled maintenance and it won't let you down.

Comment

Now we just need the FG Aussie contingent to make sure that slang is correct.

Comment

my mate has one, a GT on WRX wheels, looks awesome
          2003 WJ with no damn heater
          2013 Actros 1842 with an awesome heater

Comment

Originally posted by BlaRo View Post
            Now we just need the FG Aussie contingent to make sure that slang is correct.
            Well I've never heard anyone say "gimme a good old 'cooee!' for my first whip", but it has been a long time since I've watched Crocodile Dundee or been to the Northern Territory. And judging from those pictures, the weather doesn't look like its at all necessary to "slip-slop-slap"

Nice car anyway, Outbacks are great all-rounders.
            Last edited by Hbriz; December 16th, 2010, 5:57 AM.

Comment

Great first car!

Make sure you make use of its versatility, those things are very proficient offroad.

Bikes:Honda VFR 800 Honda 919
              Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Sport
              Cars:Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Jaguar XJR 4.0
              Broken:Ford Bronco 4.9 4x4

Comment

Bonza Maaaaaaaaaate!!!

Support your FG Community: buy a shirt or iPhone cover

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible - but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.

Comment

Ahh a 98 Outback...man those are the days..I had a green 4AT(profile should be here somewhere) ran it for 75K before it got rear ended.

You may want to check out the valve cover gaskets, the Head gaskets , and the timing belt since your near the 105K service interval for these cars. Also check out SL-I.net and also subaruoutback.com for more specific topics. If your looking for off road capability, then go for the Forester suspension setup since its bolts in pretty easily. The same goes for if you wanna lower it, which is the route I did. Anything from a WRX or STi till 2005 will be compatible with your 98. Also if the shifter seems sloppy, you can mess with the Kartboy short shifter and bushings.

Comment

Also, being a manual it has the low range 'box, no? I used to love that on Subarus even in the Impreza you got a low range gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Hbriz View Post
                      Also, being a manual it has the low range 'box, no? I used to love that on Subarus even in the Impreza you got a low range gearbox.
                      no, the us models didn't get low range boxes. really a shame.

Comment

This is a nice car they move surprisingly well for size and power Congrats!
                        ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bhatman View Post
                          Ahh a 98 Outback...man those are the days..I had a green 4AT(profile should be here somewhere) ran it for 75K before it got rear ended.

You may want to check out the valve cover gaskets, the Head gaskets , and the timing belt since your near the 105K service interval for these cars. Also check out SL-I.net and also subaruoutback.com for more specific topics. If your looking for off road capability, then go for the Forester suspension setup since its bolts in pretty easily. The same goes for if you wanna lower it, which is the route I did. Anything from a WRX or STi till 2005 will be compatible with your 98. Also if the shifter seems sloppy, you can mess with the Kartboy short shifter and bushings.
                          I'm thinking about the shortshifter already because it's just... messy. Also, if i decide to treat this thing as a long-term investment, a WRX suspension might be pretty awesome.

BTW thanks for mentioning those potential issues. i'll keep them in mind.

Comment

Really nice cars these. Good choice.

Comment

congrats on your first car! there are a few of us older legacy guys on here sooooooo jealous of your 5 speed trans....

i hate to through another forum at you, but this one is another great resource for legacy owners: legacygt.com

Comment

Originally posted by fwa2500 View Post
                                congrats on your first car! there are a few of us older legacy guys on here sooooooo jealous of your 5 speed trans....

i hate to through another forum at you, but this one is another great resource for legacy owners: legacygt.com

LegacyGt is another great source for these cars, aswell as scoobymods, basically an online resource to fix your car.

fwa2500...your build is amazing! Before my 98 got totaled I was looking at switching into those rims on your car

laxman, no problem, lot of people dont realize after the HG's are toast on the Phase I EJ25's that there quite bulletproof afterwards. Even though ive gone up a generation (02 Outback), the EJ25 is still a decent block...

Comment

sad to see ya got totalled, but i hope you're happy with your '02.

Comment

first snow today, but unfortunately for me i'm cooped up at home, sick. tomorrow there's supposed to be some more and i hope i can get some pics.

Comment

It's snowing here too, but it doesn't seem to be building up yet.

I'm a big fan of those older legacy wagons/outbacks

Comment

one more shot
                                        Click image for larger version

Name:	1222101608.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	529.1 KB
ID:	3424081

Comment

Working...
                                        X