Don't let money change ya

LeVeL

Forum Addict
Easier said that done. I graduated, got a job, and all of a sudden I like pen0r :|

180472_940007729902_9131082_48573540_2918050_n.jpg

185768_940007864632_9131082_48573542_4242991_n.jpg

More pics coming... eventually.

edit 1: a few details about the car.
Previous owner put in an LSD, Bilsteins, Kenwood headunit and speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, an alarm... I think there was something else, I don't remember. The car is very clean with zero rust; a couple of very small dings and scratches but they are barely noticeable; top looks perfect. It also came with a car cover, front bra, OEM headunit, and a box full of service receipts.

First impressions - below, say, 50mph its smile-inducing even putting around town in traffic and shifting at 2500rpm, if not earlier. On the highway, its a mixed bag. On the one hand, the wind noise at 65mph is louder than in the Accord at 100mph. It also revs at 4000mph at 72mph (GPS-verified; btw, the speedo exaggerates by about 3mph) so there is quite a bit of engine noise. I don't much care for comfort and noise levels but 75mph is honestly the limit of my comfort in this car - its just downright obnoxious above that. On the other hand, even at 85mph (my current speed record) on 185mm all-seasons it tracks dead-straight and feels stable.

I also love how tiny it is! On the highway I swerved to the right to avoid hitting a pothole on the left side of my lane and yet I was still a good distance away from the car in the right lane. Oh, and it looks 3/4th sized next to the A4 :lol: The (glass) rear window provides surprisingly good rear-view visibility and can also be used when switching lanes (yes, the car is so small that if you turn your head to check your blind spot on the right, you can see out the rear window). There is, however, a big blind spot on the left but that's easily cured by adjusting the mirror. Switching lanes is done by basically thinking about it: signal, check mirrors, turn head to check blind spot, and by the time you look back ahead you're already half way in the next lane. The tiny cabin and black top also heat up the car quite a bit with the top up.

The gearbox is, needless to say, an absolute delight. 'Nuff said. For the first few miles I would go up to third and, because its SO close to first, I'd take it out of gear again just to make sure I'm putting it in third. Pretty quickly I learned to trust my instincts though.

Short-term plans:
-Get new headlight and brake light bulbs, one of each.
-Fix the rear defroster. Previous owner never drove it in the winter so he didn't bother fixing it in the time that he owned it.
-Figure out the audio setup. ie see if I want to keep the aftermarket headunit and amp.
-Clean up the wiring a bit. Its not horrible but I still want to tidy it up a bit.
-Figure out how to stop the alarm from locking the car with the keys in the ignition :lol:
-Order rollbar.
-Order wider grippier tires in a month or so.
-Get a loud-ass horn. The stock one is somewhat on the quiet side and it also sounds girly :p

edit 02.27.11
Bought the car yesterday, started ordering parts today. Rollbar (aka anti-gay bar) is in the mail. Its a HDM2HCHTDD. Good luck figuring that one out :p

edit 03.06.11
Rollbar is in!

I'm only in one picture, as far as I'm aware:
197606_151504371576208_100001499378230_305389_6144745_n.jpg

My friend's caption: "project miata racecar. Anthony and I are willing, ready, and able to cut and weld everything. Owner Lev keeps us sensible." :lol:

Last edited:
I love the MX5! Congrats dude, it must be a hell of a fun time driving it :D

Before theres a storm about a proof pic, i can personally vouch for for him. Thats his driveway, and his parents Golf and A4.

Congrats dude.

Looks very tidy indeed, good colour too. FG has converted me to liking the MX-5 over the years.

Before theres a storm about a proof pic, i can personally vouch for for him. Thats his driveway, and his parents Golf and A4.

Congrats dude.
haha thanks dude. I figured that 5934 posts and the fact that I never shut up about Miatas would be proof enough :lol: well, that and I forgot about proof pics

Way to be predictable...

(seriously - congrats!)

That's a really nice color for NB, congrats and have fun! :)

Of course it's going to be loud on the freeway it's a vert. :p

Great car.

Nice Lev! Can't wait to see this at the next meet!

Just found out that the guy that owned this car before the latest owner (ie before the one I bought the car from) autocrossed it at least twice. I am half expecting to find rollbar mounting holes when I start tearing it apart. My internet detective skills are not sufficient to find this guy on miata.net though

edit: I think I found him :lol: Stand by for more...

Last edited:
Th....they're taking over! Perhaps I'd better not get an MX-5 / Miata as my next car after all, I might feel like I'm just joining the crowd.
That's my second-favourite shape Miata, too (behind the original, of course), it's prettier than the current shape.

Now go and have some (uh..sensible) fun with it! :dance:

My internet detective skills are not sufficient to find this guy on miata.net though

edit: I think I found him :lol: Stand by for more...

:popcorn:

Hooray for pen0r!

Looks like fun.

Very cool.

I propose that the MX-5 is Final Gears official vehicle of choice.

Short-term plans:
-Get new headlight and brake light bulbs, one of each.
-Fix the rear defroster. Previous owner never drove it in the winter so he didn't bother fixing it in the time that he owned it.
-Figure out the audio setup. ie see if I want to keep the aftermarket headunit and amp.
-Clean up the wiring a bit. Its not horrible but I still want to tidy it up a bit.
-Figure out how to stop the alarm from locking the car with the keys in the ignition :lol:
-Order rollbar.
-Order wider grippier tires in a month or so.
-Get a loud-ass horn. The stock one is somewhat on the quiet side and it also sounds girly :p

Congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the club. What year and how many miles are on it?
You might want to add installing a 01+ header on your list of things to do, the header found on the original NB's is a pretty bad and heavy thing and the 01+ is a much better design.

The stock horn is really pathetic so that is a good upgrade.