Don't let money change ya

Some TLC for the little Mazda this weekend. Finally washed off all the pollen and bird crap on my way to Cars & Coffee yesterday. Then came home and finally fixed the slow windows and the sticky doors locks. Also did some waterproofing for the soft top weather stripping - hopefully it worked.

Current big issues are a CEL so I'm replacing all the vacuum lines, and a headlight that's out (again). Updated list from before:

-Readjust the top.
-Figure out why the driver-side speaker sometimes cuts out. Fix.
-Hardwire dashcam finally.
-Replace RSB links. Maybe even get a new RSB.
-Install my new horns finally.
-Detail the interior and scrub several years worth of brake dust off the wheels.
-Fix rust spots.
-Stop clearcoat from peeling until I save up for a full repaint. Alternatively, find another trunk lid and fender.
-Fix headlight
-Replace vacuum lines to fix CEL

-Front caliper, rotors, and pads.
-Figure out why there is always rain water underneath the battery tray in the trunk. Fix.
-Fix (or, more likely, replace) the weather stripping above the side windows.
-Fix hood and headlight rattles.
-Figure out if it's possible to fix the super slow windows.
-Fix power door locks that need to be locked manually.
-Stiffen the chassis with an x-brace, strut tower brace, door jamb bushings, or some combination of those.

I've had a headlight out for a while. It has happened before and each time the high beam still worked so, since it's the same bulb, I always knew it was an issue with the connector in the back. The darn plastic clips keeps melting on me until I finally got ceramic ones. I've also had a CEL on for an EVAP leak - quite unimportant, especially since I don't need to pass inspection again (the car is too old). However, it's time for me to part with my beloved little roadster because I don't drive it enough, its condition is deteriorating, and it costs me money to store it all winter. Obviously I have to fix the headlight but also the CEL for an easier sale. Not wanting to chase down the EVAP leak or diagnose how a ceramic connector apparently melted, as well as having to work on the Acura this weekend, I bit the bullet and brought the Miata to a shop this morning. As luck would have it, the CEL that's been on for several months didn't come on once today but I'm sure it will as soon as someone wants to look at the car to buy it. Also, turns out that that this time it WAS just the bulb. So yeah, the guy who's about to change a control arm and spark plugs on his own is also about to pay $50 to get a mechanic to change a headlight bulb. FML.

Shame to hear you're selling it, but understandable. Any plans for replacement cars?

The one with the V8 of course. Also, pop-up headlights.

Sad to hear you having to let it go, but I know in what situation you are in.

Once I have my own garage I'll either get another Miata or a C5 Corvette - can't decide which one is more fun.

The engine swap options of these 2 are well known, so it's obvious, you need a BP-4W swapped C5 :p

The one with the V8 of course. Also, pop-up headlights.
They're strangely similar yet different. It's very hard to beat the Miata for fun around town where its size and nimbleness are a blast.

The engine swap options of these 2 are well known, so it's obvious, you need a BP-4W swapped C5 :p
Win! Best of both worlds!

Was gonna say that most winter rallyXs require a hardtop (at least around here), but then remembered that you have one. Lucky bastard. That was the one thing I always wanted to do with mine, but could never find an org that would let me run just soft top, and the roll bar I had wouldn't allow for a hard top.

How is it with rust in the US of A when it comes to Miatas?

Looking at /r/Miata it appears that rust is not even as close as an issue as it is here in .eu ...

How is it with rust in the US of A when it comes to Miatas?

Looking at /r/Miata it appears that rust is not even as close as an issue as it is here in .eu ...
It certainly has some but not a ton. Driver side rear rocker has some under the paint but the passenger side does not. Window frame has a little bit too.

Last edited:
It all depends on how the car was taken care of and where its from. My Miata came from Colorado where the winters were really bad so it was likely never driven, and even when it was, they use an alternative to salt that's less corrosive. While my car had a lot wrong with it, rust was the only thing I didn't have a problem with. Probably why I was able to sell it for what I did - it was the only rust free NA on Detroit Craigslist when it was listed.

Last edited:
Well, after seven years the little roadster has found a new home. Very bittersweet for me, I have a lot of very good memories with this car. It's the car I learned to truly drive on; it's the car I learned to work on cars on; it's the car that carried my fiancee and me on our first weekend getaway when we started dating; it's the car I learned the basics of drifting in; it's the car that made me go out driving for no reason at all; it's the car that carried me to and from grad school. It's been in car shows, on autocross courses, on work commuter duty (including my first real job after college), on long highway road trips, through rain or shine or snow. Throughout it all the Miata was reliable, fun, engaging, cheap to run. It will be missed.