Someone Else's Problem: 1994 Land Rover Discovery ES

Minor Christmas Eve update:

Tried to free up the seemingly seized centre diff. lock today ready for some off road fun next week.

I take it the previous owner wasn't a hardcore off roader. :p

Matt & Kajun: you guys need to revisit that Matt Evans classic series A 4x4 Is Born. ;)

So does that mean I should bring my tow strap to pull you out? :tease:

I've got my own somewhere but I'm hoping it won't come to that, not least because you shouldn't really put a recovery rope on the tow ball. Hence the tow pin on the Series. :)

Matt & Kajun: you guys need to revisit that classic series The Fast Show ;)

Fixed

[video=youtube;ZNybnRkj-MY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNybnRkj-MY[/video]

Matt & Kajun: you guys need to revisit that Matt Evans classic series A 4x4 Is Born. ;)

I have the DVD, it'll be used for reference if I ever need to do any chassis work. :D

I was also there at the off road play day for the Discos first off road trip and I was similarly impressed with its performance. The new tyres do rub in the inside of the wheelarches making some interesting noises but other than that and getting smacked in the face with tree branches for not being quick enough with the electric windows I had no issues at all.

I'm looking at a lift kit at the moment, this Terrafirma kit has been recommended. I'll be looking at what I can sell to pay for it, and the Disco will be staying on the road until that is fitted.

A few photos I took today:

DSC_0536_1_S.jpg

DSC_0629_1_S.jpg

DSC_0679_1_S.jpg

Many more here.

Last edited:
Were you able to unseize the center diff lock selector in time for the event?

Some interesting noises? I could hear those tyres rubbing from 30 feet away over the rattling of my Series! :lol: Of course I shouldn't be saying much about you vehicle making interesting noises when my broken suspension was clanking around all day...

It was nice to see your Disco plowing around on the trails. It made me miss mine a little.

t6tUo.jpg

kjA0m.jpg

6IXAY.jpg

SBWIy.jpg

1DkPt.jpg

dnyhS.jpg

Were you able to unseize the center diff lock selector in time for the event?

Nope but apparently I didn't need it, I didn't get stuck once and even when it seemed like I would due to the unlocked centre diff the old girl found traction from somewhere. :)

Some interesting noises? I could hear those tyres rubbing from 30 feet away over the rattling of my Series!

:lol: That has to stop.

Time to do some liquid maintenance on the old girl. I've just been to pick up a cheap Halfords oil filter and some reasonably cheap Halfords oil to do an oil change. These will only be around for a few weeks the flush out the rubbish before being replaced with a high quality (probably genuine Land Rover) filter and oil. I have a tin of engine flush to run through it first to clear up as much crap as possible.

I've also filled the tank with diesel (?90 - from a quarter full!) and dumped in a one shot bottle of redex injector cleaner. Hopefully the combination of the oil changes and fuel system cleaner will clear up the blue smoke I'm getting when the engine is warming up for the first 10 minutes or so. If not the turbo may be leaking oil. :(

Are you sure you want to thoroughly flush the oil? Some of that gunk may be holding the rest of the oil inside the block.

well, then he will learn?

The front crank seal is already leaking on my Disco, so I am extra paranoid about that sort of thing. :p

All done now. I know what you mean about getting rid of structural gunk but I flushed the Series before every oil change and never had a problem so on a more modern engine I'd hope it would be OK. No leaks as of yet, time will tell if the smoke is reduced.

A top tip though: Don't drain the oil with the filler cap off, it goes everywhere. :lol:

Cross post from the Random Thoughts thread, I've swapped the radio for a spare one we had.

DSC_0730_1_S.jpg

DSC_0736_1_S.jpg

The surround has been fitted since this photo was taken so the metal frame is hidden.

JB Weld has held oil pans together, I'm sure lathering the turbo in it will solve the problem :razz:

It might need to, it's still smoking. It's quite clear in this video which was a cold start:

Last edited:
On expert opinion I've turned the boost compensator back down. It doesn't appear to have reduced the amount of smoke but I have Redex in this tank of fuel so I'll see what happens when I refill it.

In other news it has a lazy eye, the left headlight doesn't work. Luckily the left sidelight does work while the right doesn't.

So I bought a set of overpriced bulbs and took the light units out. First thing that became apparent was that I need a whole new set of light retainers, these are all broken... ed. I also need a new multi-pin connector for the left headlight bulb because while the bulb actually works fine the connector is partially melted. Also the left side light was missing the bulb entirely. :roll:

Update on the lazy eye: Now fixed.

This is what the old headlamp connector looks like:

2012-01-11 21.08.59_S1024.jpg

Last edited: