Ownership Verified: 2010 Mazda RX-8 R3 - still Wankelin

The only other option at the local tire shop is "PERFORMANCE RADIAL" which just sounds like the pinnacle of quality branding.

Hey now, my old car had "Sigma" tires on it and they were just fine:

http://imageshack.**/a/img718/3861/img20110721171535.jpg

oh wait...

Ordered new tires to be installed Saturday, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 in 225/40/R19. Can't wait to put the lightweight rims back on with proper tires, the winters are seriously spongy once it gets warm. They are also almost completely gone and will need to be replaced next year :(

These are the exact tires I have on my R3. Good grip, and after about 17K of mostly highway miles, they still have good tread depth.

These are the exact tires I have on my R3. Good grip, and after about 17K of mostly highway miles, they still have good tread depth.

Awesome, glad to hear it. I have little experience with tires, the Falkens I got for my last car gripped well but wore quickly.

Oh yeah, I have this car too. Yesterday while on a slightly longer highway drive than usual (40 minutes), the seatbelt and airbag lights started flashing in the guage cluster, as well as the "passenger airbag off" light in the center console usually used to indicate that a person of insufficient weight for airbag safety is in the passenger seat. After a few minutes all three lights settled into being solidly lit.

It all went back to normal after turning the car off and turning it on again.

While I'm at it there have been two occassions where the car ran very rough on startup (uneven revs, lots of popping). Both times it smoothed out completely with a bit of throttle.

Car is angry that something else has been getting all my attention :rolleyes:

I guess I didn't post here about my and CrzRsn's little spark plug mishap as it was resolved rather quickly, but recently I heard what sounded like a bit of a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. I smelled gas so I figured exhaust or manifold leak and brought it in to the mechanic. Diagnosis: spark plug came out.

What have I learned? Always double check that the bolts are tight, and wankels run perfectly fine on 3 out of 4 plugs.

Daily driver threads don't get updates except when they go wrong, and this is no exception

Headlight out, driver's side. What's the big deal? Xenon's the big deal, I can bring it to an authorized Mazda dealership or pick up a used assembly for ~$500...

Headlight out, driver's side. What's the big deal? Xenon's the big deal, I can bring it to an authorized Mazda dealership or pick up a used assembly for ~$500...

Headlight assembly out or just the bulb's out? What broke?

I've replaced my bulbs to a bluer 10K. It's a massive pain to get to unless you take off your tires, especially lowered, like mine.

I've been under there, and if I had to replace the assembly myself, I don't see it as being too hard to do.

I've replaced my bulbs to a bluer 10K.
I'm sure it looks cool but just FYI you're losing some visibility at that temperature. 4k-5k range is the best for visibility in most conditions.

Last edited:
I'm sure it looks cool but just FYI you're losing some visibility at that temperature. 4k-5k range is the best for visibility in most conditions.

Quite correct. I have 6K LED driving bulbs augmenting it where the fog lamps are. The stock bulbs were 6K. I actually want to switch back, just haven't had the time to do it. Otherwise, my night visibility has been OK.

Going to open it up this weekend to see if I can get at the bulb myself. Hopefully that's all it is, if it's the ballast it's apparently a royal PITA.

Aaaaaaand sold. Car is still in the drive but the money has changed hands, buyer is just waiting on registration. On a related note: fuck dealerships. They continue to go out of their way to make sure I never have any dealings with them.

1) Just for lulz I had it appraised for trade-in at a dealer where I test drove an MX-5..... I sold it for $6000 more than that offer.

2) The buyer had it inspected by Mazda (on his dime) and they found a slow oil leak. Turned out to be corroded lines to the oil cooler. They quoted $2200 to repair. I brought it to my local guy and had it done for $200.

Are you finished with it? As in, you’re happy/finished with it? I’d like to own one but fear a previous owner wouldn’t have taken the best of care much like Americans with German cars.

or europeans with american cars...

the only american cars i see, are bangers

93Flareside;n3554344 said:
Are you finished with it? As in, you’re happy/finished with it? I’d like to own one but fear a previous owner wouldn’t have taken the best of care much like Americans with German cars.

I loved the car but there are a number of reasons that it was time to move on. I've had it twice as long as any other car I've owned and the previous car was also an RX-8. Time to spice things up. Upkeep was a bit on the expensive side, between tires, occasional parts, insurance, etc. And it was at the age that it's going to start to need some real maintenance. I'm just not the right person to preserve it the way it deserves. The R3 production numbers are absurdly low.

I tend to neglect things that require actual effort to maintain but I actually cause very little wear and tear myself. Overall it would be pretty hard to find another R3 in that kind of shape. Hell, I went halfway across the country for this one.

I drove it a couple times after getting the MX-5 and it's amazing how much of a different animal it is. Tough steering, crazy engine, unforgiving transmission and it's the bigger and more practical vehicle.... the MX-5 is much more relaxing! I got used it it over the years but after just a couple of weeks it was all out the window and it was like I'd never driven it before.