Ownership Verified: The Saaba begins: 1995 Saab 9000 Aero

Traction control? What is that?

Is it the 90's crude version of traction control that limits power and torque up until 25mph and then turns itself off?
This one still kicks on around 40 MPH, but it needs it. Yeah, it's probably pretty crude; Saab temporarily discontinued it after 1995 while they worked out the kinks.

It's funny because Saaba is hebrew for grandpa and this is a bit of a grandpa car. It's a great car, but in all honestly you need Lancia Thema trim pieces.
I seem to have a thing for grandpa cars souped up with forced-induction power :whistle:

Last edited:
U better keep this for a while, going to be a very rare car to come in years ahead. Such a shame Saab is gone now. :( always liked their design statements through their car details.

Nice ride! :)

428976_960087774254_1302327_39841990_2010604294_n.jpg

So this is what it's like to have cargo capacity.

I thought to myself "four tires in a trunk, what's the big deal?" Then I glanced to the left and noticed "2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder" :lol:

Which is more like 4 condoms in the trunk.

Living the luxury life now, aren't we? :lol:

I've managed to fit four tires in my Miata but this weekend brings a new challenge - four wheels with tires and a suitcase. Might just pull the passenger seat out unless someone with a practical hatchback wants to deliver my wheels and tires for me ;)

I've managed to fit four tires in my Miata but this weekend brings a new challenge - four wheels with tires and a suitcase. Might just pull the passenger seat out unless someone with a practical hatchback wants to deliver my wheels and tires for me ;)

"The Miata is so practical, it has cargo space, trunk lololol"
Well looks like you found its carrying limits after all :tease:

Bah. All this 9000 talk is making me want one (again).

There are quite a few nice late CSEs and Aeros on Craigslist right now. Still wish it was a convertible though.

I'm glad it isn't a convertible; it has a really floppy chassis. When I jacked up one wheel to do the oil change, I could barely open the doors; when I did the same for the MR2, it was fine.

This doesn't sound right...

I can't imagine what the Lancia Thema is like then.

I'm glad it isn't a convertible; it has a really floppy chassis. When I jacked up one wheel to do the oil change, I could barely open the doors; when I did the same for the MR2, it was fine.

It's a known issue with the Type Four cars, and it's apparently even worse with the older ones from the 80s. Saab engineers wanted to put more effort into stiffening it but the other three couldn't be arsed and decided it was good enough for production. I guess it was fine for the pedestrian 2.0 8v Cromas, but...

The floppy chassis is also, iirc, why Saab didn't offer a sunroof until the facelift.

The turbo sounds pretty awesome in a tunnel :D. On a completely related note, it can hang with S2000s and Miatas in the real world by brute force; not what one would call nimble though.

The 9k's that I've owned do the same thing.

My Aero too. They creak like thousand year old vampires. Up on jack = no doors for you.

When I put H&Rs with Bilstein's on mine - the only thing that flexed was the chassis. :(