Ownership Verified: 1965 Ford Anglia

Sun visors were extremely popular here well into the '70s and even '80s. Hell, our 1995 Falcon wagon had a sun visor on the front. I think they look pretty cool in a period sort of way. But 5mph in an Anglia is probably pretty valuable. What's that, 50% off the speed? :p

Last edited:
I consider all of the above to be "meh. The Minilites are best looking but everybody and their Mum has Minilites, the Dunlops are too 70s, I dislike Slot Mags and the Lotus wheels just look too deep.

One does not simply... dislike slot mags.

Slot mags fit on pickups and such stuff, certanly not on vintage british machinery.

^
Wasn't a clip of that shown on that Ford documentary shown recently?

And, I agree with the simple look of the Lotus Cortina (Mk. I) wheels. The Captain can probably confirm, that alloys weren't common on cars until the 1970s and the Dolomite Sprint was the first mass-production car to get them.

How easy/expensive is it to get steel Lotus Cortuna wheels or copies maybe?

:smile:

Lotus steels are woefully expensive, but, worth it in my opinion. They come up often enough, just seeing if I can sniff out a bargain, never in any rush. At any rate, banded steels look pretty good as well. One company make a reproduction at ?80 a wheel, but really, they look awful. Original or nothing for me.

Slot mags fit on pickups and such stuff, certanly not on vintage british machinery.

They do work on supercharged Anglia vans.

480085_4058728662162_200688050_n.jpg

I'm sure most of the Anglias sold here would have come with them back in the day, so it would be a mad AUDM mod :p

IMO they work on anything from Beetles to muscle cars to Volvo's. Granted, they will look out of place on an otherwise stock "insert british car here" but if you are going for any sort of agressive/rod-esque look, they work great.

Wa-hey! We are back together and working! First though:

Two spare gearboxes, have been sent off to a friend to be rebuilt as one excellent one. (We'll do the same again with the boxes from HMB and CYD so the red car can have a good gearbox in the future)
KGrHqNnkFG4j3mbBQVipFpvCg60_58.jpg

box2.jpg

More wheels:
anglia81.jpg

Bellhousing cleaned up ready for stripping and paint:
anglia82.jpg

and something shiny arrived:
anglia80.jpg

Quick run up the road (don't worry, that's mud, not a salt drift) then a wash before heading back in the garage for the next stage....
anglia83.jpg

anglia84.jpg

My father had a friend who shoved a Lotus Cortina engine in his late-sixties Anglia. According to my father, it went like stink but handled... less well. The guy ended up in the garden of a local hotel one night after the Anglia refused to steer into a corner.

So, I hear you'll be pulling the engine soon?

May I recommend one of these:

So you can do this:

:D

Back home, ready to start work on the engine, but first, a recap. Work has mostly been on the heater, which had a few rusty holes and wasn't looking the greatest. Using a donor heater which was a bit more solid, a decent one has been made out of the two.

First a quick reminder of how the heater unit looked before it was restored. (Doesn't look too bad here, but it wasn't great).
heaterbefore.jpg

Removed
anglia87.jpg

New one made up and in primer
anglia88.jpg

Painted
anglia89.jpg

And just this morning the rubbers were refitted
anglia90.jpg

Also, correct choke cable finally!
anglia86.jpg

Now, head comes off on Monday as the engine work begins... How she currently sits:
anglia91.jpg

(There's a wheel off as after a slight leak, decided it was best to replace all the brake cylinders for peace of mind).

I didn't see you painting over rubber hoses, did i? :mad:

To stop the core going bad, the heater has been left partially filled. As such, to stop spills, and also to prevent paint going in, I've used a length of old hose to protect the insides. Don't get to get too alarmed! :lol:

Last edited:
Ah, ok. I hate it when people don't bother to either protect the not to be painted surfaces enough or just don't strip enough parts off. :)

Engine work pushed back to tomorrow in order to the fix the brakes.

Today:
Due to leaking brake cylinder, new brake cylinders on both fronts. (Previously when brakes were rebuilt, the old cylinders were left in as they seemed fine. Lesson learned!)
New front brake shoes on both fronts. (Again, the old ones were fine, however brake fluid from the weeping cylinder had made one set lovely and wet).
anglia92.jpg

On the plus side, brakes are pretty much all brand new now.

Firstly then, took it out and cleaned it for some valuation pictures.

Then, head off! All went pretty well and fast, appears to have already been bored +40, but is in good condition. Soon the engine will be out as well, then the gearbox....

anglia93.jpg

anglia94.jpg

anglia95.jpg

anglia96.jpg

anglia98.jpg

anglia99.jpg

anglia100.jpg

anglia101.jpg