Ownership Verified: Out with the Old, in with the New... (2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback 5-spd. manual)

Leadfoot866

Car(s)
'12 Ford Focus hatch, '06 Nissan Sentra sedan
Before anything else, PROOF PICTURES!

the-wheel-7283.JPG

me-knob-7284.JPG

...and now, my old Cavalier meets the new Focus. :D

I apologize in advance for the horrible lighting, but it was getting dark when I finally got home.

new-from-the-front-7281.JPG

new-from-the-back-7285.JPG

old-meets-new-7280.JPG

General Information:

2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
2.0L I4
5-speed manual gearbox
4-wheel disc brakes
16" alloy wheels
Ford MyTouch w/ SYNC
Moonroof
...pretty much everything except 17" wheels, heated seats, and, of course, the automatic gearbox.

I'M SO HAPPY!!! :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it a lot.

(Although, in my mind I'm thinking - why do they still make new cars with just a 5-speed? The standard should have become 6-speed a while ago)

Congrats. Great new car you have there.

Can we have a ritual sacrifice for the Cavalier? :evil:

I like it a lot.

(Although, in my mind I'm thinking - why do they still make new cars with just a 5-speed? The standard should have become 6-speed a while ago)
Was it Jack Nicholson who said the equivalent of. ... "6 Speed, 6 Speed, you can't handle a 6 Speed. ..." I fear unless you have been driving a manual for a while you do need to master a standard 5 speed manual first. But having said that many are just overdrives.

Thanks everyone! :D

Yeah, I've been wondering about that. I know the Focus is available in Europe with the 5-speed, a 6-speed manual, and the 6-speed DSG. If I recall, the 6-speed row-it-yourself is only for the EcoBoost engines...

Still, GM and Chrylser offer their small cars (Cruze and Dart, respectively) with 6-speed manuals, so why doesn't Ford do the same here?

Nevertheless, it is a giggle to drive. I love it!

:clap:

5-speed manuals? :shock:

Welcome to 2004 <_<. I didn't even want the "old" 6-speed autobox, thus the E9x was not an option for me :p

Ah, a new one. Looks nice. :)

But yeah - I was appaled that they didn't offer a 6 speed four years ago, and I'm more appalled that it isn't standard by now. On the other hand, I don't understand the fuss about more gears - top gear should always be geared for reaching the rev limiter at top speed plus downhill bonus anyway, regardless of whether it's the fifth or sixth or whateverth gear...

Yeah, I've been wondering about that. I know the Focus is available in Europe with the 5-speed, a 6-speed manual, and the 6-speed DSG. If I recall, the 6-speed row-it-yourself is only for the EcoBoost engines...

I looked it up earlier.

There are lots of engines in the Euro lineup. 1.0 Ecoboost 100/125hp, 1.6 N/A 105/125hp, a big 1.6 Ecoboost as well as two 1.6-liter and two 2.0-liter diesels. The only engines that come with 5 speed boxes are the 100 and 105hp. The rest get 6-speed manuals or dual clutch boxes.

No idea why they left the 1.6-liter around. It used to be the base model but the new 1-liter Ecoboost costs less after taxes due to emissions, and it's supposedly an excellent little engine. You'd be stupid to get the old 1.6.

Last edited:
Ford Germany:

5-speed manual:
- 1.0 Ecocrap 100hp
- 1.6 Ti-VCT 85/105/125hp
- 1.6 Ti-VCT 120hp flexfuel
6-speed manual:
- 1.0 Eco 125hp
- 1.6 Eco 150/182hp
- 1.6 Ti-VCT 120hp flexfuel
- 2.0 ST Eco 250hp
- 1.6 TDCi 95/115hp
- 2.0 TDCi 140/163hp
6-speed DSG:
- 1.6 Ti-VCT 125hp
- 2.0 TDCi 115/140/163hp

Somewhat weird to use 2 different manual boxes on actually same engines.

Well, the 100hp needs to cost less than the 125hp and it's probably identical except for software, so they fitted a cheaper gearbox from the parts bin to save a bit of cash.

Was it Jack Nicholson who said the equivalent of. ... "6 Speed, 6 Speed, you can't handle a 6 Speed. ..." I fear unless you have been driving a manual for a while you do need to master a standard 5 speed manual first. But having said that many are just overdrives.

How is a 6-speed any different to drive from a 5-speed apart from one more overdrive gear?

Lovely car! The styling of the new Focuses' have taken a long time to settle with me, but I think it is becoming more handsome by the day now. A fantastic purchase and great upgrade, hope you enjoy it!

How is a 6-speed any different to drive from a 5-speed apart from one more overdrive gear?
I also do not understand this, I learned just fine in a 6-Speed, daily drive a 5-Speed and weekend drive a 4-Speed with synchro on three gears. I've only been driving over a year. :dunno:

Congrats! I really love the new Focus hatch, very good looking car. :cool:

Thanks guys, it really is a wonderful car.

Went for a little drive earlier today and it was so nice! I can actually go around a corner without fearing for my life!
Finally, I have a machine that I can actually call a car. :D

It has unleashed the envy of everyone in my family. :lol:

...and yes, we still have the Cavalier. It's now more-or-less my mom's car, but I'm still its caretaker since she is not really car savvy. She doesn't drive much, however, so it will mostly serve as a spare should, God forbid, something happen to one of the others (dad's Camry, brother's Sentra, my Focus).