Ownership Verified: 1991 MX-5 1.6 - roadtrip machine

The amount of want to do a similar trip is incomprehensible. I almost left the computer, went outside, started the Mazda and headed to Norway!

Same here - this year I at last done the Nurburgring but still on my list is this same road trip through Sweden, Norway, Denmark and also at a later date, the Alps.

Since it's been pretty much a year since the road trip I revisited the thread to realise, that I never really finished it. So to get things done, here is (a bit abridged) what happened next.

After getting sunburned in Norway the rain started pretty much with the Swedish boarder (the night in Sweden was just as light as the overcast day) and lastet up until we drove into Finnland, where it was incredibly clear and sunny.

DaBoom, who drove more then 500 kms to meet us up in Oulu, led us southwards through the lake region near Jyv?skyl? on a road that was winding from island to island.

On our way we visited a nature reserve where we had lunch by a lake. We spent the night at a campground on an island, where we did the Sauna and barbeque thing. Before that DaBoom and I went out to drive some gravel roads while Jan tried to fish.

For the next day we wanted to drive some more gravel tracks and we looked for stages of the legendary 1000 Lakes Rally. One of the most fearsome stages was the near mythical Ouninpohja, which was a lot of fun drifting in the MX5, but looks quite scary in onboard clips of rally cars doing three times our speed. Infact, we didn't catch air but the professionals do it all the time.

Next stop was Helsinki, where we met up with yet more Finns and saw the first other MX5 after a long time.

It was great to meet Lastsoul, Matyas, Frankiess, MXM and of course DaBoom, but sadly shortly after it was already time to bid farewell again as we boarded the ferry to Tallinn

My co-driver, Jan, spent half a year in Tallinn and my basic mission was to pick him up there (the long way). So after around 4000 kms we actually arrived there and spent two nights in his flat, visiting the city.

But soon we were back in the seats, driving towards Latvia

...were we visited Riga in the evening...

...and spent our night in a field near a lake.

The next morning we reached Lithuania and stopped at the Hill of Crosses along the way.

There were new, smooth highways, almost completely empty. We drove most of the day to reach Vilnius in the early evening.

For whatever reason I don't have a single good picture of Vilnius, but we liked it a lot, the atmosphere was very peaceful, lots of people hanging out along the river and in the parks.

That evening we found a place for our tent at the edge of a nature reserve. The little Mazda was completely covered in bugs by then.

After driving around in the nature reserve the next morning we continued on towards Poland, reaching Warszawa in the early evening. This was last year and it was the time of the Football Championship. Warszawa was impressive as well, I'll have to come back to all the cities we visited.

As we had to hurry up a little at that point we drove on into Germany and set up camp in the Spreewald near the boarder to Poland.

Since we covered so many miles the night before we could stay off the Autobahn and drove towards Frankfurt almost as the crow flies, arriving home in the evening.

...the end.

It has almost been a year now, the memories are still so fresh. Having condensed the whole trip into 12 days makes it seem much longer than it actually was. And the only thing that went wrong with the MX5 in 7000 kms was a burnt out headlight.

This year the little Mazda takes a rest, I'll have to buy a bigger car for the next road trip, most possibly to Turkey and back.

Last edited:
:jawdrop:

That looks epic. Congrats!

I'll look through my pictures at home, all I have right now is this pic from this very thread:

20120610-DSC_3945.jpg

And you can find some in the great item Public wrote about our trip:

http://hooniverse.com/2012/06/12/cheap-blue-miata-tours-northern-europe-delivers-model-dodge-viper/

Picture stolen from there, courtesy of Public:

1991_mazda_mx-5_miata_blue_beater_4.jpg

Last edited:
I'll add some photos from the .fi part as well.

First campsite on Finnish soil. A deserted motocross track near the west coast (taken at 23.21, mind you).
P1000932.JPG

Walking around in Helvetinj?rvi national park.
U8_XU-rjVFCDQWwfVUx0nvjT-y6eR9be5lgMQn-QwGE=w548-h842-no

Jumping around in said national park. :p
P1000949.JPG

LTV and MX5 leaving the second camp site.
P1000959.JPG

The "island road"
P1000966.JPG

P1000972.JPG

P1000971.JPG

Last edited: