No announcement yet.

My new Panzertank (2006 Passat VR6)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had my car checked out at the bodyshop today, he said the plastic can't be fixed (which I knew) and the bumper could be replaced for $750. I will be filing with the insurance company next week.
    2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 VR6. Das Auto

Comment

That sucks.

Comment

It just looks like a slight scratch on the photo... was there hidden damage on the inside?

"Vikings don't rape and pillage anymore, they drive like warriors instead."

Comment

Inspecting the damage under hard light, shows that the paint is cracked around the area and the whole bumper on that side, was shifted out of position. This is far worse than the photo shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Vette Boss View Post
            Inspecting the damage under hard light, shows that the paint is cracked around the area and the whole bumper on that side, was shifted out of position. This is far worse than the photo shows.
            ah, so it was warped out of shape?

back when i worked in a bodyshop, we did plastic welding to fix cracks and the like, it'd take a lot before you'd have to change it, but losing it's shape and fitment, would do it.

"Vikings don't rape and pillage anymore, they drive like warriors instead."

Comment

Originally posted by Hemily View Post
              ah, so it was warped out of shape?

back when i worked in a bodyshop, we did plastic welding to fix cracks and the like, it'd take a lot before you'd have to change it, but losing it's shape and fitment, would do it.
              You can see where it broke some clips loose around the area but, the screws at the front (near the wheel well) are all in place.

Comment

Found out that I won't have to pay the $200 deductible today, which is nice. Adjuster still has to come out and inspect my car.

Comment

Found a nasty oil leak down the side of the engine block today. I knew the valve cover gasket would have to be done, but not this soon. Going to be asking around on the price.

Comment

I was about to say that would be an easy job, but I don't know how close to the firewall the back valve cover are on these.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigB View Post
                      I was about to say that would be an easy job, but I don't know how close to the firewall the back valve cover are on these.
                      On this engine, it's actually one valve cover for everything. The problem is getting the intake manifold off and a bunch of other ancillary stuff. The VR6 is more closely related to an inline-6 than a V6.

Comment

I always forget they are very narrow angle.

Comment

Yep, it's 10.6-degrees on this particular one. The design is very clever, but could use some higher quality parts. Metal timing chain guides would be a good start, as they're known to simply break over time.

Comment

A few images of what's going on with my poor engine.

Comment

New battery was installed today, went with the factory model. While I was there, the VW dealership paid to have the TPMS sensor rebuilt. I had to wait longer today and they did that as a courtesy.

Comment

Wow, no updates on this car for a long time. Life has been busy and I'm going through some medical issues. New tyres were recently fitted to replace the ageing Goodyears that were on it before. After doing plenty of shopping around, I settled on the General GMAX AS-05. Initial impressions of the tyre are great, it seems to stick to the road and behave better than the Goodyears ever did. Over the summer, I decided to do some DIY and installed some new spark plugs. Nothing crazy, just the OEM plugs.

Comment

Good stuff. Hope you get well soon.
                                  1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                                  2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                                  1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                                  2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
                                  2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

Working...
                                  X