Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep the Yaris and move out.
    bogative ?

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
    "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
    "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Comment

Don't let this sour experience with old cars ruin your taste for them. Old cars can be fun and rewarding, you just have to be smart about purchasing the right one. I've bought my fair share of shit cars, but I still love older cars and plan to own many more in my life.
      XBL Gamer Tag: JipJopJones

Eh?
      I speak in Hyperboles, please don't take offence.

Comment

Originally posted by argatoga View Post
        This.

Comment

Originally posted by JipJopJones View Post
          Don't let this sour experience with old cars ruin your taste for them. Old cars can be fun and rewarding, you just have to be smart about purchasing the right one. I've bought my fair share of shit cars, but I still love older cars and plan to own many more in my life.
          and this

Comment

Originally posted by argatoga View Post
            Best thing you can do. Can't get pussy living at home.
            "The beatings will continue until morale improves".

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Erm... I bought it back...

It now runs but can't travel 'cause all the oil leak out of the diff while it sat for a month. It took a whole 3 evenings to get it from being broken to being together and running again and most of that was spent finding lost tools and dropped bolts and drinking tea.
              It's getting sent away for MOT work next week, so I'm probably about to get quite a lot poorer.

Once that is sorted I can start on prep for "Operation Manchester"...

Comment

If operation Manchester is moving out (guessing and hoping), then why are you wasting money on this now...?

Otherwise I know what its like to have 'that car' that you've wanted for a long while so I guess congrats. But no more complaining about money...
                ^My Flickr Page^_______________________________^My Blipfoto 'Photo Every Day' Page^

Comment

I'm not moving out right now (and if I was it wouldn't be outside of Scotland), not without new employment and my applications are currently falling flat, although I'm undeterred. There is also a good chance of promotion at my current job in the next week or so, so income may well increase anyway. We shall see. Operation Manchester is more car related and considerably more ambitious than moving my entire life.

As for the money front I've realised that I don't actually spend my money on anything, it sits there and I live in fear of spending it, get irrationally angry when I have to spend tiny portions of it and then lament not spending it on what I wanted in the first place. It looks like I'll be keeping this car for a long while (I can't bring myself to properly sell it even when I hate it) so I might as well face the fact it's going to cost some money to get it sorted. (I can also remind myself that if it was a modern hobby car it'd be costing considerably more if it went wrong.)

Comment

Originally posted by captain_70s View Post
                    I can't bring myself to properly sell it even when I hate it
                    Ah, Stockholm syndrome.

Bikes:Honda VFR 800 Honda 919
                    Ducati Multistrada 1200S
                    Cars: Lexus GX470 Jaguar XJR

Comment

I'll see you at Manchester then, just don't spill oil on the Anglia please.

Comment

I see someone wants to be broke and still living in his parents' attic when they're 40.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
                          I see someone wants to be broke and still living in his parents' attic when they're 40.
                          Give 'em enough rope...

Comment

Originally posted by captain_70s View Post
                            (I can also remind myself that if it was a modern hobby car it'd be costing considerably more if it went wrong.)
                            This is how I justify the cost of the Discovery. It's a toy and I have more reliable transport when needed (the train, for work), you have the Yararse.

Personally I'm glad to see the old girl back again, now do yourself a favour and buy an electronic ignition kit.

Comment

Comment

Coming up to 200 miles since the engine went back together. Running smoothly and happiest at around 50mph, radio now works, cooling is much better now with a functioning thermostat, last fuel up revealed I was getting a staggering 34mpg too!

Pretty high on oil consumption and getting a bit of blue smoke out of the exhaust sporadically on the overrun when slowing down from a long run at 55mph. It's probably the valves but I don't intend to dismantle this engine again and it only has to hold together until October (Sept 23rd to be exact) 'cause then I'll be hunting for a replacement engine.

Next show is planned for the 1st of Sept over at Grantown-of-Spey, a 115 mile round trip, although I may pop to Aberdeen before that which is a 100 mile trip anyway. Most of the driving has been under 65 miles a day so far.

Plan is to have it looking something like this by next Summer, although priority is dealing with bodywork and engine.

The eagle eye'd amongst you will spot some cosmetic alterations.
                                Last edited by captain_70s; August 8th, 2013, 7:25 PM.

Comment

Is all hiding black Hammerite on the sills really an improvement? If you're getting the paint done, get it done body colour! Black sills just scream 'what's hiding' to me.

Comment

It's not going to be brushed on Hammerite, it'll be sprayed. I like the colour contrast of black sills, I find it works with the "sports-casual" look I'm going for. Besides, the sills are going to see a fair amount of work and I can spray them myself to a reasonable degree if it's satin black, also much easier to sand back and respray when it gets stone chipped and rust does break through. We can't all afford a respray you know.

Besides, it's better than the current, brushed on, greying job that ends in an awkward wonky line:

Comment

If a tweed sports blazer were to be a car, it would be that car.

Comment

Used half a litre of oil in 60 miles. There is now white smoke from the exhaust and signs of mayo forming in the oil cap, no bubbling in the expansion tank this time but it looks like the head gasket has gone again and that either the head is probably warped or uneven in some way.

Operation Manchester, which was a planned trip to display the car as part of a stand at the Footman James Car Show in Manchester in September, is now officially off. It was intended to be the last real mileage this car does on it's current engine and a goal for me to work towards but there is limited space and given the high chance that my car wouldn't survive the 400 mile trip, even if it was working now, it'd be unfair to compromise the stand.

Still hope to make Grantown-on-Spey if I can bodge it in some way.

Comment

It was good timing really, I'm pulling my hair out trying to fit the cars on this stand.

Comment

Working...
                                          X