X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by captain_70s View Post
    UPDATE MOTHERFUCKERS!

BREAKDOWN MONTAGE:

I wanted to improve your post a little. Let me know if I succeeded.

Comment

I can report it is much improved.

I also get the reference.

Final Gear around the world care package
      discussion | photos | spreadsheet | map

Comment

I feel it is improved, but please explain the reference.
        ?
        "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Originally posted by Redliner View Post
          I feel it is improved, but please explain the reference.
          It's perhaps a little NSFW.

Comment

Originally posted by public View Post

I knew? that guy was familiar.
            ?
            "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Milestone! 10,000 miles covered in my ownership.

To celebrate I AutoGlymed the shit out of the paintwork as it was fading quite badly. I also sanded down some of the rust on the wing tips and front panel and repainted it, it's shabby but it should do for now.

I also became slightly famous after appearing in the UK's best selling classic car magazine:

Actually quite handy as a chap messaged me on Facebook after reading it. He bought WAC 257S in 2008 after the first owner had been moved into a retirement home, he saw the car sitting in a garage while the house was being cleared and asked about it. Seemingly the family were just going to scrap it despite it being MOT'd but he stepped in and bought it and kept it for a year before selling it to buy a Morris Minor. He bought it with 20,000 miles on the clock and it had 24,000 when I bought it three years later and 7 previous owners noted on the V5C so it must have passed through quite a few hands but not been driven much in the interim. Probably why it rapidly fell apart when I started throwing regular 65mph jaunts at it!

Other than that the only problem I've had recently was the year old alternator died, it had rattled lose at the mount and started sitting at an angle which ruined the internals, got a new one fitted at 10pm in the rain.

Comment

Awesome getting recognized like that!

Comment

Last edited by captain_70s; November 14th, 2017, 8:55 PM.

Comment

You know something, Cap, while I still consider your refusal to let this thing go to be insanity in the extreme, I have to take my hat off to your determination (stubbornness?).

Way more important than that, the fact that you are showing such steely determination tells me that your trip to the doc's, regimen of medication and the changes you have made in your life are getting things moving in the right direction.

I may have had a few right royal pops at you over the years, and FSM knows if you had been within reasonable commuting distance I would have driven over and given you the good, old-fashioned slap you clearly needed, but that was all from a desire to see you get your obstinate little head sorted and on the road to recovery.

Welcome back to FG's "favourite" whiny little biatch. Stick around - the new and improved 70s ain't that bad!
                    WillDAQ: To use the technical terms: "the Mustang is to aerodynamics what horse shit is to fine dining"

Dr Grip: Brilliant!

EyeMWing Because what fun is a silicone dick if you don't try putting it in somebody's backside at least once.

Jay IKEA now ranks up in my awesome list, quite near bacon and blowjobs.

Cowboy I've never gotten so drunk I wanted to rub one out while shoving a fire extinguisher up my ass.

Remind me never to have him round to dinner!

www.mattonmotors.com/ @MattOnMotors

Comment

Honestly, I feel to happy for you. Best story I've read in a long, long time. Chapeau.

Viva la Targa!

"Anybody who accuses this of being a girl car, needs to get into a Miata or Fiata on a back road. This is the most fun you can have in a car - without a girl in it." - Jason Cammisa about the ND platform
                      "Changing gear is a vital form of self-expression that I'm being denied." - Richard Hammond on the Gen 4 Clio RS
                      "These cars remind us, what driving - and in a wider sense, what motoring is all about. It's about the sensation of controlling a machine - not the speed with which you cover ground." - Chris Harris on the Caterham Seven and the purity of driving

Comment

Holy cow, Cap is back! We've all been wondering where you'd gone.
                        "Men with guts attack those corners!" - Keiichi Tsuchiya
                        2006 Acura TL and 1999 Mazda Miata

Comment

Is this a Northerners take on a Roadkill episode?
                          1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                          2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                          1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                          2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
                          2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

I've been following your endeavour on Autoshite. Great to see update here as well (and with pictures!).

Comment

Great to have you back and great that you did not give up on the... sporty... saloon!
                              Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
                              (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

Originally posted by MWF View Post
                                Way more important than that, the fact that you are showing such steely determination tells me that your trip to the doc's, regimen of medication and the changes you have made in your life are getting things moving in the right direction.

I may have had a few right royal pops at you over the years, and FSM knows if you had been within reasonable commuting distance I would have driven over and given you the good, old-fashioned slap you clearly needed, but that was all from a desire to see you get your obstinate little head sorted and on the road to recovery.
                                Cheers! In the end I didn't make any sort of move until I'd left myself in a situation that was un-salvageable, stupid but it left me with no choice but to change things which badly needed doing a long time ago. I was too mentally fucked to realise how mentally fucked I was.

Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post
                                Is this a Northerners take on a Roadkill episode?
                                I'd need to fit some sort of outrageously sized V8 using nothing but a stick welder and an angle grinder first I think...

Originally posted by Dr_Grip View Post
                                Great to have you back and great that you did not give up on the... sporty... saloon!
                                Same suspension as the Sprint, innit! Although with it's current shocks it bounces like a '59 Caddy... Got back into the habit of spirited cornering quite rapidly though, with something like 40bhp on tap speed conservation is the name of the game...

I have video footage of various stages of the trip but it needs retrieving from various phones/cameras and editing...
                                Last edited by captain_70s; November 16th, 2017, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Still working on this thing, pretty sure I hate myself. My local garage replaced the rear shocks and welded up the sill that was holed and I took the car home to do the rest of the work required myself with the goal of getting it back within a week. Well, a deadly combo of weather, work, Christmas, New Year and my girlfriend delayed things slightly so the car is still sat outside! I am however slowly progressing with it despite only having the best working conditions:

The throttle cable has been un-stuck with some wire brushing and Plus Gasing the return spring. The exhaust manifold/downpipe join now has 2/3 nuts and is sealed with Gun Gum, about as good as it's going to get as it's got a snapped stud. Fitted a new Lucas 9H horn, the old one was French and dead... Sorted out all the duff bulbs and earths for the reversing and numberplate lights. Currently in the process of adjusting the rear brakes and handbrake.

The rear brake shoes are now correctly adjusted and I've wound back a lot of slack on the handbrake cables but it looks like it'll be a case of maxing them out and adding new cables to the shopping list as I can currently get it to the point where the handbrake locks the wheels and I can't turn them by hand if it's jacked up but it won't quite hold the car on a slope but there is plenty of meat left on the shoes themselves. May have the drums machined to ensure they are perfectly round internally. Unfortunately today's work was once against halted by adverse weather conditions...

Also after testing the handbrake at the end of my street it conked out and wouldn't restart as I was parking it back up, I ended up pushing the fucker into it's parking spot in the snow. I suspect the dizzy may have shifted and the ignition timing is now out as I was adjusting it on the fly during the Cairngorm adventure and I don't think it's any more than hand tight.

I've been running it around the block occasionally to stop it from seizing up and the battery going flat so here is a jolly picture from Christmas time:

Last edited by captain_70s; January 19th, 2018, 5:52 PM.

Comment

So an update.

I got very tired of fucking about with the car in the rain/snow/wind/etc so I sent it off to the garage for them to look at the rear brakes. To be fair I did say I was in no real rush for the job to be done but I really didn't expect the car to sit in their yard for 2 months. I'd phone up, they'd say they'd been to busy to look at it and ask if I wanted to leave it with them, I'd say yes and that'd be that, 'cause free secure storage is free secure storage...

However with spring in the air and the weather being quite a bit better I was really missing the Doloshite's general crapness. With the Acclaim failing it's MOT I swapped the cars and left that at the garage and took the Dolly home as I need some sort of automotive disaster to play with. The garage did actually suggest they didn't have space to store all my cars for me but if they'd actually looked at it they'd not have had to...

I was dreading starting it after the thing had been sat for months out doors but on full choke with quite a bit of starter churning she eventually spluttered in to life firing on... Some cylinders, the rest joined in soon enough. She also shat all over an RX8 which was rustier than both my cars combined...

So now it was cluttering up the limited parking on my street with it's faded paint and rusty demeanour generally lowering local property values.

Firstly I fucked about with the ignition timing which was all over the place and made the car run even more like arse than usual, the distributor clamp is bent and won't tighten which will need seeing to but it's running fine for now. I also pulled all the plugs which were sooted up from constant running on the choke and did a cold compression test, results being 120, 110, 115, 120, which I don't think is too bad for a car that's probably done 130,000 miles. The I rewired the radio 'cause it wouldn't stop raining, it really irked me that somebody had butchered the door cards to fit a modern stereo but it was still fucking dire and unreliable, I found the following problems with it:

The front right speaker was wired in as the front left.
                                    The front left speaker was wired in as the rear left.
                                    (Resulting in mono sound despite two speakers)
                                    Both speakers were wired in reverse polarity.
                                    The radio is locally earthed to the underside of the dash, namely through the vinyl.
                                    (Resulting in terrible earthing).
                                    The front right speaker's cabling inside the door card was all frayed and the joins were rusty.

I rectified these issues and ended the day with a working stereo radio! I also have a cheapo face plate to hide the modern head unit...

Today with the weather looking much nicer I set about refurbishing the rear brakes a bit. Fitted new shoes and freed up all the seized handbrake linkages but my drums are badly scored and no longer round so will be getting replaced. Not much point in adjusting the brakes/handbrake properly if I'm fitting new drums... I also cleared a metric fuck ton of dried mud out of the wheel tubs.

Once the new drums are fitted I just need to investigate the imbalance across the front discs and that should be it ready for it's MOT.

Comment

I really like the little green thing!
                                      Mercedes W115 to England & Wales | MX5 to Gibraltar | Balkan by Train (and Bus) | Zastava 101 to Nürburgring | Espace to Kurdistan | MX5 around the Baltic Sea

If you want to help the restauration of the finalgear Zastava please donate here!

Comment

It's taken so long to actually get this thing fixed it became MOT/tax exempt in the interim. Oh well, saves me £45 I guess!

I can't get rid of the dent in the back panel without stripping the whole thing so I got the bumper sitting straight be adding washers to the bolts and spacing it out a few cm away from the bodywork. It now looks far less shit.

I also fitted new brake drums and brush painted all the wheels satin black 'cause I like the contrast against the chrome hubcaps.

I still suspect the front brakes are binding and the oil light flickers when it gets hot. I reckon the oil/filter is something silly like 3 years old so they're probably not terribly good at being oil/filtering. Will need to sort that before using the car... The 1970s never end in Glasgow...

Comment

Added video content:

Comment

Working...
                                          X